Sign in to follow this  
Lin_Txarames

We will need processors to 64 bits to play proper

All we know that when OFP was developed our computers the same does not

worked sufficient for this game xD. It will happen the same with the OFP2?

For me the OFP continues having a dark side, the levels of the land,

the distances of vision on the map at max. levels is

another game that little people are even enjoying it. I have read in

the AMD's web, the launching of 64 bits processor in

games as the "Farcry" is going it to include in a beta for these

processors. I suppose that BIS will very consider the new one was that

this supposes for the games and partly delaying the OFP2 to

experience the game with these processors's tecnology. My opinion is if we want

to smell the OFP2 we must buy in a future these processors.

What now I do? I buy a computer ~ to 3.2 GHZ & Gforce FX 5950 or better we hoped to spend

the money in this new processors tecnology? BIS could anticipate

minimum requirements that the game requires I think.

Translated spanish to English xDD ghostface.gif

OFP II will be 32-bit orientated. Or so I've heard (and assume).

But, wheather or not I invest in a 64-bit processor based system is a question that has been plauging my mind for some time now.

Let's face it. We are gamers. We're usually among the first to jump onto a new technology if it's able to improve our gaming experience.

It'd be great to see games start to be developed around the 64-bit processors, but whilist there is no such game to utilise the power, there will be no need to purchase a 64-bit system, at least in my mind.

But, how long will it be before games that require 64-bit processors is anyones guess. Which is why I'm a bit reluctant to purchase a new system.

Should one stick with their current system and upgrade it to it's maximum potential and then wait a while for some indications on where the software market is going, or buy a new, 32-bit based system, then evetually upgrade it to it's maximum potential, hopeing that it will be more than a few years before the first 64-bit games/programs e.t.c. start dominating the market or buy a 64 bit system now, and hope that when 64-bit software that demands large amounts of system resources starts coming out, that your not left in the cold because you bought a first generation 64-bit processor that is outdated compared to other 64-bit processors available at the time.

As with all technology, it's a bit of a gamble determining what and when will get you the most "bang for your buck". But in this gamble, I have no idea what the odds are. blues.gif

I don't think that this will be a 64bit application. So... No.

I hope that it ain't 64bit. My computer upgrade budget is currently allocated to new BIOS and an T&L display driver

Now what would you be using 64bit precision for?, BIS, unlike most other dev shops designed their stuff to scale (rediculously?) far beyond the average machine at time of release.

The laggage is a lot from using CPU-heavy DirectX 2, instead of 8 or 9, which off load more to the video cards. Terraingrid is calculated staticly for the whole map, instead of dynamicly inside viewdistance.

OFP1 has fixed internal memory limits far below 32bit limits. That would need to be raised and opptimized long before expansion into 64bit addressing.

Given the fact that AMD's recent 64bit-processors like the Athlon64 are pretty fast 32bit/64bit-processors with the ability to run both 64bit and 32bit software - I would make my decision depending what I really need and what I can afford. Good reviews are making the Athlon64 certainly a good choice.

I am not a programmer so I can't give any explanation concerning major technological advantages, so I'd rather take it as a bonus than a decision-depending feature.

There are interesting reads about it on the Internet, but I'm afraid, I can't provide any concrete links at the moment.

Quote[/b] ]My computer upgrade budget is currently allocated to new BIOS and an T&L display driver

Have you thought of the phonecosts to download them ? tounge_o.gif

I don´t think that they will go for the 64 CPU´s. They developed OFP 1 for low end machines as afot high end ones. Especially their origin and their big fan community in eastern countries will make them develope OFP 2 for average machines as for high end ones.

Hell even today there are not much machines wich can run OFP 1 in all details.

I don´t thing the specs for OFP 2 will be outragouse. They will let it deal with 2.5 Ghz -> infinity Ghz CPU´s.

Note that AMD64's on-chip memory controller/hypertransport link to the memory play extrememly well to the current OFP engine's high emphasis on raw bus (CPU to Memory) speed. I don't see any reason why it won't be the same for OFP2.

Regardless of whether or not OFP2 supports 64bits, an AM64 system should be the best choice if you're aiming to get the most out of Flashpoint's engine.

Of course, byt the time OFP2 comes out, I'm sure Intel will (they had better!) will have countered with a platform change that allows such insane CPU<>Memory performance as the latest AMD solutions - but we'll see.

OFP2 uses a revamped OFP engine so u might not see some huge advances in graphics, if u read any of the interviews or press realises u would kno that. but apparently it should be smoother to run than ofp. but im betting if u want to see ofp2 at a high level at 1024X768 im guessing u'll need a P4 2.5ghz or a AMD 2800 (plz don't forget amd's offer the same power as a Pentium but at lower clocking speed eg 2800xp give the power equal to a P4 2.8ghz but runs at 2.1Ghz plus u can over clock it to tounge_o.gif) 512 RAM and a 128mb graphics card.

Well, the only upgrade I'm going to make anytime soon is the latest 32bit AMD CPU cause it's the only weakness in my system (besides the admitted need for reformatting the hard drive, lol). I only hope OFP 2 has a better visual memory support... my Radeon 9800 Pro with 512mb DDR RAM had to be chocked down to 128mb memory bandwidth on the BIOS level otherwise OFP wouldn't even start!!!

IM going to get a BTX model PC next year - by the end of next year they should be cranking to 3.5 -4 Mz

withan awesome BUS speed

would be a good time to upgrade then

I might miss out on playing FP2 for a few months but hey - whats 6 months of less bugs for that CPU power

I dont think alot of computers of today can still handle a decent framerate on flashpoint with all settings at their highest. So i hope they dont aim too far up the line for the future systems as they will probs have a sequal out before the computers of today catch up with the specs needed to play the game how it should have been played. Saying that i think they should and probs will include 64bit support even if its just for servers as this games netcode needs a hell of facelift as its the only thing i find about this game that really bugged me. 100 players yes please biggrin_o.gif