Sign in to follow this  
Harnu

Voices and actually hearing

I searched the forum and checked the summary but didn't find any requests for ambient voices in game.  What I mean is, right now if I'm on a battle field with someone, I have to either type to a medic "Over here... behind you... ten more feet... now look a little to your right.. oo too much..." etc etc.  Even with voice comms you have to phyiscally direct them to you.

I'd like to be able to actually be able to hear people.  Not a "two-dimensional" hearing clear through your speakers.  Actually be able to find someone through their help calls.  I.E. like a gunshot.

The reason a gunshot shouldn't double for communication of where someone is, is relatively obvious.  Enemies from all around can hear and see it.  But a voice is much quieter and you can yell to a medic to come help you.  If it were accompnied by a text if you are near the person would make it even easier to know when you are needed.

This way you could actually hear and guide your way to someone with sound, sure would make it a whole lot easier on the battlefield.

This thread kind of covers it, but not really what I mean in this post.

Wasn't the 'Direct Speak' channel of the In-game (DirectPlay) comms supposed do do just that?

this could add a whole new dimension to the game. but then the enemy should hear you too. that could cost your life against other human players. the in-game system is way too laggy now so they need to improve the codec or something. and of course using external voice comms should be considered as cheating as the enemy can't hear you...

The directplay voices on group chat do exactly that  ( I think its group... anyway, one of the settings does it)

Last time I checked not a whole lot of servers use direct play. It's on sockets where everyone is at. And instead of having comms like that where you can talk, perhaps having some pre-set calls you can select (They would also change their voice depending on whatever one you choose for your profile like currently with OFP)

Yeah I wasn't really saying that 'thats already in the game, shut up' so much as 'It shouldn't be too hard to implement this for OFP2' (/patch for OFP! smile_o.gif )

FDF mod also has 'medic' screams for each side that can be heard by everyone around them in 3d sound.

So it's all possible to do, the only constraint is if the programmers want to do it.