Sign in to follow this  
laulau

Dedicated server

My clan hires a dedicated server at klan-host.com. The server is running under FDF1.2. Few days ago we asked them to make mod folders and since we uploaded the addons in the mod folders. since the change was done nobody went on the server to look if it worked well. i tried tonight and some mission are not playable anymore. I looked on the forum to see if there was answers about such a problem but i only found linux related answers. Our server is a window one.

Let me explain you what the trouble is:

i log as admin, go to the missions screen. All the missions on the server appear. I select one which is on a custom island and using many addons. I click "ok" then i get back on the slot selection screen with the wrong mission, the default one.

i tried with other missions, some are working well but some others which used to work do not work anymore. i noticed something in the way they made the mod folders.

we have six mod folders:

RUSSIA, FRANCE, USA, DESERT, WINTER and GENERAL.

in each mod folder, there's no "Addons" folder. The addons are directly in OFP/operation flashpoint/NameOfTheModFolder.

So i have two questions:

1-does the fact that there's no "addons" folder in our mod folder could be a problem and make all the addons not loaded by the game? So could it be the reason some mission needing unofficial addons don't work?I noticed something else. the missions still working are missions using normal units from the game or FDF ones, no other third part addons, so missions needing stuff loaded by the game.

2-We have a lot of addons on the server. All the BAS stuff, OFrP, the FDF mod, marine assault pack, RHS, DKM and many more, could the quantity of addons be the reason for this trouble?

I checked the .sqm files of the missions that i can't select and nothing is wrong. All the required addons are on the server, no required addons in the sqm which is not needed in the mission.

I feel like the server can handle the addon quantity we put on but at the same time i guess that all missions couldn't be selected, i mean that the problem would be general and not specific to some missions. So i guess it's more a mod folder problems (i hope it's it and not the big quantity of addons).

Hoping someone could give me some clue to solve it.

Thx.

On your question number 1: Yes you need to have Addons folders inside your modfolder... this is also required "at home" so its also needed on the server.

2: Don't know.. someone else might be able to answer this one better than me..

thx to answer so quickly. It's exactly what i think, i have my own mod folders with an addons folder in it and i almost sure it is the problem.

You have to have an addons subfolder in your modfolder, else it will not work.

You should also be aware that there are many broken addons out there that will not work on a dedicated server, especially when put into modfolders. If you have the same addons installed on the client as you have on the server and you get a "missing addon bla" warning when switching from slot selection to briefing, then you got a broken addon. Those will not work in a modfolder, only in the normal addons folder. There are other kind of errors in some addons, but those are even more difficult to spot. Those will not work at all unless you fix them.

thx for your replies. When i saw the first time that they forgot to create the subfolder i thought that maybe a dedicated server doesn't work as the clients do. But after this server crash, i was almost sure it had something to do with the missing subfolders. I was sure that guys here could confirm it to me, and you did  smile_o.gif  . But now i'm still waiting to see if it was the only cause because our server is still down  sad_o.gif  .

thx again.

i have an other question. I saw that since we put addons and modfoldes (even if they don't work right now crazy_o.gif ), the server ping is very bad, something around 200. Before it was around 80. Could too many addons cause it???

Just to let you know that everything is ok on our server now, even the ping is better (80). So, i thank you again and to moderators, you can lock the topic.

Thx again.