Sign in to follow this  
lukemax

Game like ofp

Agree with Placebo, that yellow cross ruined it for me,

at least some kind of laser pointer-lookalike would be nice.

OFP destroyed realistic gaming for me (too high standard)!

Tried the FarCry demo for about 57 seconds, then I uninstalled it.

Very nice rendering but it was just another of those not even close to realistic shooters with looks like real life weapons. I already got Black Hawk Down and Call of Duty for that.

Yesterday I tried Conflict Desert Storm II for Playstation2. Think I did 2 minutes, it went back into my shelf never to be touched again.

I'm also a little curious about Joint Operations, but I fear it's just going to be a better looking Black Hawk Down, still an entertainment shooter.

I have very little trust in Söldner. The videos and screens I've seen so far looks like a pure entertainment shooter with a lot of smoke and explosions. If space is a jump button, I'm not even going to look at it.

I haven't tried Raven Shield or the old Ghost Recon yet though, I got some hopes in those.

I better face it, I'll continue play OFP for close to realism, Unreal Tournament for fast unrealistic shooting and my good old flight sims, RPG's and turn based strategy games.

Far Cry is arcade, dont like gameplay with med packs and body armor spread around the map, poor weapons models and unrealistic atributes, monsters, etc.

I got me eyes on Joint Ops, military based shooter, big islands/maps with swimable water, dense jungle, no mbt's/ apache's uber vehicals, focused in teamplay with infantry and transport units, graphics seem better than BHD and with some more realism it looks very promissing, also it features JIP and they are hoping to suport up to 100 players per map in MP, also the indonesan jungle scenario with caves, thick jungle, ruins and water is very interesting for som jungle action, i kinda lost my interest in vehicals lately.

Ofcourse OPF is still OPF and only OPF2 will be better smile_o.gif .

that joint ops looks pretty good, the multiplayer sounds promising, i rember the fun i had with deltaforce 2 on a 33.3k playin on the 64player novalogic servers i mgiht have to get this.

After writing the last message I took myself some time to download the Raven Shield single player demo.

For you who don't know, it's counter terrorism city combat style. MP5 comes in handy here.

The realism is pretty good, crouching going prone or getting back up again takes realistic seconds. You get killed by 1-2 shoots. Walk, run and sidesteps are realistic speeds, there is no jump button (the sign of realism versus Mario platform games).

The AI's are not very smart, they do not not take cover and got a clear death wish.

The worst part is the aiming and I couldn't find any option for mouse smoothing. It seems like the programmers used a very low resolution for the angles, even though the game is based on the Unreal engine (?). It's impossible to get the aim right on a small target, the crosshair will often snap either left, right above or under of it. I have to sidestep to get the aim completely right on target.

Also, something is weird with the 3D perspective transformation. Playing FPS-games all day without a problem, this game made me sea sick in 10 minutes.

I will however give the game a chance.

Quote[/b] ]You get killed by 1-2 shoots.

That completely depends on what the tango is packing and what armor you're wearing. You're very vulnerable in light armor, but in heavy armor you can often survive having 20 rounds blasted into you with a TMP.

Quote[/b] ]The worst part is the aiming

Hit F2 to toggle through aim settings.

Quote[/b] ]Also, something is weird with the 3D perspective transformation. Playing FPS-games all day without a problem, this game made me sea sick in 10 minutes.

I've played it for hours on end and never gotten sick.

It's a good game to buy, there are much better levels than Oil Rig, Prison, and Streets. Plus, there is an amazing variety of weapons, gadgets, and miscellaneous equipment in the full version. Nothing brightens my day like hurling a flashbang into a room and mowing down six tangos with a FAMAS...

Quote[/b] ]Ive never played the game so i looked around to download it until i saw you had to pay for it. so i said to myself fuck it. anyway with the cheaters cheater i agree. luckly i havint come arcoos them yet. Some one should go and destroy their computers (aka their lifes) i keep looking for free online games. if you or anyone knows some good ones let me know. fight now the only good one is SOLDAT. it kicks ass. (PLEASE DONT BAN FOR SAYING THAT!!) anyway good job can't wait to see your next work.

Proof Soldat will suck massive sweaty donkey... ears.

Snagged from a discussion about... *shudder* Counterstrike.

Yes. Soldat is officially and unequivocally now in my opinion the bastardized mass-market-moron answer to OFP.

/bitterness

m21man, thanks for your opinion.

Getting killed by 1-2 shoots is something good. It's a sign of realism and that is what I'm looking for.

The F2 auto-aim is not a good solution for the lacking aiming, it's a patch for the problem though. Is this be available in multi player too?

I'm just being critical but the game is good enough, I'm thinking of picking it up at the store.