Sign in to follow this  
Sid

Error installing

I'm getting errors whien installing, AND patching.

And Placebo, I cannot take out my Hard Drive and put it into my old computer, simply because my old computer is non existant anymore.

I tried installing it again - I don't know why... and the install for the Gold Upgrade stopped at "VoiceRH.pbo" and I got a CRC error and it quit...

The Original OFP installs PERFECTLY...

Anyways, it's been over a week, and every single day I've tried to get OFP to work... I am determined to get it to work! ...But I cannot seem to get any further.

Here are my specs (all together):

2.80GHZ Intel Pentium 4 (With Hyperthreading)

1024MB DDR Dual Channel Ram. (Two 512MB sticks)

NTFS Dual RAID 228Gig Hard drive

Radeon 9800 128MB

DirectX 9.0b

Sounblaster! Audigy 2

ASUS Motherboard

+All the latest drivers for everything.

+Defragged Hard drive (No Viruses, AdWare, or spyware found)

+Scandisked (No errors found)

Well, seeya for now.

-Sid

One other thing...earlier you said you went into your bios and turned on some aspi settings? I am not aware of aspi settings in the bios...you said intel chipset,,I am not familiar with that either

But ASPI layer is usually update with something like this:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwi....PI-4.70

And to broaden earlier stuff....

You sure you have virus programs turned OFF?

And the method behind copy the files from the cd to hd using explorer is that you can keep retrying the files that don't copy well until hopefully the full cd can copy to your hard drive,copying single files if you must

Yes, I have the latest version of the ASPI Layer.

The thing that was off in my BIOS was something like "Compatable with ASPI 2.0" and it was Disbled. I enabled it. Still, OFP would not run.

For the past couple days, thats the only way I would install OFP - by copying it onto my Hard drive first, then running it. (It copies to my hard drive okay, but it doesn't install).

I have a firewall and virus software - and I always turnt hem off when I install something.

Thanks for the advice.

-Sid

Is there a PCI latency setting in your bios? If so what's it set to?

Haven't seen this mentioned yet:

The only way I can ever install OFP (GOTY) on my PC is by lowering FSB to 100 MHz, install OFP, then raise it back to its orginal status. Works like a charm whereas before I got CRC errors all over the place.

That's all I had to do, no probs in gaming whatsoever (except the occasional odd addon problem).

Hope this helps :-)

Freaky, thanks for posting, may help some smile_o.gif

I actually took this from Avon's FAQ , dunno if it's still mentioned there.

I don't know for sure, but last thing I remember about CRC errors (from working in VB) is that it has something to do with files not being properly linked to each other...

This is a long shot, but you may try to copy just the .exe install file from the OFP cd-rom to your desktop and try to run it from there. Windows should automatically link it to the necessary stuff...

Hope it helps, we all know how addicting OFP is wink_o.gif

Awesome!

Thanks so much for all of your advice. I'll give it a go.

-Sid

I got my fingers crossed for you bud smile_o.gif

Is there a PCI latency setting in your bios? If so what's it set to?

Sorry for the delay - but once again I'm caught up in life. crazy_o.gif

I'm about to try and get OFP to install now (using the many helpful hints and advice from you kind folks), and Placebo - I'll try and get that BIOS info to you soon. Ack! Gotta go.

-Sid

Haven't seen this mentioned yet:

The only way I can ever install OFP (GOTY) on my PC is by lowering FSB to 100 MHz, install OFP, then raise it back to its orginal status. Works like a charm whereas before I got CRC errors all over the place.

That's all I had to do, no probs in gaming whatsoever (except the occasional odd addon problem).

Hope this helps :-)

Call me a complete numbskull, but how do I do this?

And Placebo - this may sound extremely odd - but... I cannot seem to find my PCI Latency settings. (I went into my BIOS setup when the Computer restarted..).

Thanks,

Sid

With regard to changing your FSB you should consult your motherboard manual, on some it's done by flicking a switch on the motherboard, on others it's done from within your BIOS.

With regard to PCI latency it's possible that your BIOS doesn't have that setting, I know my last motherboard did but I don't remember seeing it in my current motherboard's BIOS.

I'm still doing some major tinkering about with the machine - THEN I'm going to install OFP (with all the suggestions applied) - one last time.

But I'm still getting "Prepared" - I want this to me my last, complete try.

Wish me luck... once again. tounge_o.gif

This may sound strange (well, comming from me - not really), but I still haven't installed OFP.

What I have been doing, as a matter of fact, is installing OTHER games.

But theres a method to my madness:

I installed older and newer games and guess what?

When installing the recently-purchased copy of Battlefield: Vietnam I encountered CRC errors!

How did I fix them, you say?

I just kep trying to install it (I was also saying while it was installing, "It's not going to work! Ha! Look! Not working! Not working at all! Look who's not working! See? Not Working! It'll get to 99% and not work!" and low and behold BF:V installed...

So, call me crazy, but I'm going to do the same thing to OFP and hope it works. tounge_o.gif

Well GL Sid, would hate to be in your situation dude.

Getting crc errors on other stuff too? I suspect your chipset drivers for your hd controller.