Sign in to follow this  
David Shipley

Officers with helmets, not caps: config.cpp!

Howdy,

I was wondering: how do you make a config.cpp file? A modder, by the name of Eric Fisher, says he'll edit the game for me (so officers will wear helmets instead of caps) if I give him the latest version of the game's config file in .cpp format; he's been out of it for a while, so he can't do it for himself.

I would love to have all officers in the game wear helmets instead of hats, since I'm kind of a realism-freak.

So, how would I come about a new config.cpp file for Operation Flashpoint 1.92+? I don't really know anything about mods, so I'm at a loss, here.

Maybe someone can send me their config.cpp file? I need it for the latest version of Operation Flashpoint; the latest official patch, not the beta ones. Could anyone be so kind as to help a poor guy out? :-)

My E-mail: davidshipley@planetavp.com.

Oh, and if someone was willing to send me a config file already edited with officers wearing helmets instead of caps, that would mean the world to me. :-) I'd be willing to pay them back with a favor of my own, maybe.

I'm not sure if this'll entice anyone, but maybe I could post about your mod in an off-topic news post on my site, www.PlanetAvP.com? We receive upwards of tens of thousands of visitors a day (we're part of GameSpy), and while it is about Aliens vs. Predator, I'm sure there'll be some interested in Operation Flashpoint. Like I am. ;-)

Thanks in advance,

David Shipley

You just need to change the model reference in the cpp. I don't know the model names off hand but they are in the data3d pbo.

Blink Dog: Wow! Really - just update the data3d.pbo file, myself? How would I go about doing that, anyway; what program do I need? I tried with Notepad, and nothing.

Are you sure I don't need a config.cpp file? If I did, though, where would I find such a file?

Messiah: No, this is done so officers in every mission look like regular soldiers (like they do in real-life), including the official campaign. This is not for a single mission to have an officer with a helmet on. I'm not a mission-maker.

You see, there's lots of infantry missions out there where you play the role of an officer. Me, being the realism freak that I am, would like to have all the officers in all those missions wear helmets instead of caps.

This can be done through an edited config.cpp file, according to Fisher. But Lord knows where I can find such a file. :-(

Help!

Weeeellllllllllllllllllllll...

This is where it gets a little complicated... or really less complicated.

To edit a cpp, just use notepad. After a while, you don't see random lines, you see a code.

And if you want to do it sloppily, just open up every mission, do it by hand.

Or just use addons.

MSpencer,

Thanks for the tips, but *making* a config.cpp file from nothing sounds like too much for little ol' me - sorry. I'm just your average gamer, here, really. :-\

See, here's the E-mail I got from Fisher:

"You have to track down the unedited decoded v1.92+ config.cpp and we can make changes from there. It's been a while and I've been out of it."

Is there anyone here who can help me find what he's looking for, please? This is very important to me.

I promise, if this works out, I'll put the new config file up for download for anyone who, like me, like their officers realistic and with helmets on their noggins. ;-)

Anyone?