Sign in to follow this  
miniroll

Server view distance

Hi

I have tried searching through the forums for this but can't seem to get it to work.

In multiplayer the view distance seems to be set to about 900. A group of us play on our own LAN and would all like to be able to increase the view distance. I have tried adding the setviewdistance=2000 to the mission file and the server.cfg file but it has no effect.

Can anyone tell me how to increase the view distance in multiplayer using a dedicated server?

Thanks

Neal

You can't set it for the server, but you can set it for missions. Just put a line with<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">setviewdistance 2000 into the init.sqs of the mission. This means you have to edit the missions first...

• Like 1

Or, instead of using a fixed viewdistance in the missions, you could add my viewdistance negotiation script. You will also have to edit the missions (the only way it can be done), but the viewdistance will automatically adapt to what the machines on your lan or internet game are actually capable of displaying.

just copy the sqs file from the archive into the mission's folder, add a gamelogic called 'server' (if it doesn't exist already) to the mission and write [0] exec "negoview.sqs" into the init.sqs. Check the readme and the demo mission for more options.

Hi Folks

Have some questions about view distance on a dedicated server and wanted to get feedback. I have gone through the forum and havent quite got the answer Im looking for so I will state my question here.

We have a dedicated server that I am trying to improve the view distance on. I have done the following during this process.

1. All machines have in their init setviewdistance=1500

When this is done the view is still set to 900 while playing on the server.

2. I have installed the negotiateview script mentioned above and set the minimum view to 2500m. When in game it looks like the view is actually about 1500 meters. Even at this range targets do not come into view until about 1300m based on the reading noted when you move the cursor over the target. Im assuming that setting the minimum will force all computers including the server to draw at this distance.

3. I have changed the view distance in the user.cfg of the server to 2000. Not sure if this will help.

My question is will the user.cfg change actually affect the server draw distance. Is there a way to tell the server when it should draw objects at what distance. At this time the negotiateview seems to have the greatest impact of penetrating the 900m barrier but the distance the game draws the vehicle is less than the min set by the script.

Any other suggestions or ideas. Thanks for the assistance

you missed the above post, its done in each map, ther are various ways of adding it to the maps, do a quick search on www.ofpec.com to get some more insite

if i had time i would add the option for 1000 or 1500 to every map on our server, but i am way to back logged on my web stuff

66% of "setviewdistance value" is real (viewable) viewdistance. the rest is still calculated for other purposes.

View distance set in the user.cfg is only for single player or when you're not playing on a dedicated server.

In some of my missions I have barrels with a viewdistance action on them so players can set their own viewdistances. It's all client side so everyone can have different view distances. I only tend to do that on coop missions though, or missions where I don't care how far they can "see".

I am not sure if i can add anything, i think it has all been said in this thread already.

Also, i don't understand what you (gunterlund) mean with "setting stuff in clients init". The client config (in users/player/userinfo.cfg) is for singleplayer only, as has been said before. The setting on the server seems to be fixed to 900m, regardless of what you set in it's config.

Additionally, only some percentage of the set viewdistance is really visible, might be the mentioned 66%. We tested that a long time ago and iirc terrain features were visible for the whole distance and units appeared when entering the smaller distance from the player. Maybe it was even so that inside that 66% the terrain was visible and units appeared when even nearer (hey, we did test that a long time ago). This can lead to unpleasant things like enemies shooting from out of (the players) view distance i guess, although it did not happen in our test. Maybe the used tanks were hindered by engagement ranges in their configs. Maybe i don't remember correctly ;)

So afaik viewdistance has to be set on a per mission case. We used joltans script a lot, but it can be fooled, as it is totally dependent on the 3D_Performance value set in the flashpoint.cfg. Some players used that to "enforce" certain viewdistances. "Hardcoding" viewdistances into the mission (in each missions init.sqs), or at least into the slot selection screen, or letting each player set his own viewdistance might be the best solutions.

Be carefull when you edit an existing mission to add an option allowing the player to select his own view distance , whetever it is SP or MP.

Remember that some view distance can really destroy a mission, as some triggers involving detection will be triggered too early because the AI will see things earlier, tanks supposed to wait far away will open fire to enemy targets before they are supposed to enter in action etc ...

View distance is great certainly, but use it carefully to not break missions you play.