Sign in to follow this  
ozanzac

Hard drive problems

Care to elaborate in what fields you lost performance in?

Hi ozanzac. I updated from previously using ME to XP, and i can say that im very happy. Even though my computer is old (700mhz, and 384mb RAM) it runs XP fine. Not only does it have more futures, and look better, but most importantly, i find it much more stable then 95/98/me

smile_o.gif

Oh and i have a question regarding Hard drives. Why is it that say a 20 Gb HD seems to be 19 GB in windows, and say a 160 GB would be 149 GB or something...

Hi ozanzac. I updated from previously using ME to XP, and i can say that im very happy. Even though my computer is old (700mhz, and 384mb RAM) it runs XP fine. Not only does it have more futures, and look better, but most importantly, i find it much more stable then 95/98/me

smile_o.gif

Oh, cool. If that's the case, I'll definantly upgrade to XP. It was that, or go backwards to Windows 98SE. Thanks  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Oh and i have a question regarding Hard drives. Why is it that say a 20 Gb HD seems to be 19 GB in windows, and say a 160 GB would be 149 GB or something...

I think it has something to do with how the manufacturer defines a megabyte and how windows defines a megabyte.

Some manufactures define a megabyte as 1000 KB

Others, including software manufacturers such as microsoft, define a megabyte as 1024KB. This is where 'we' as customers lose most of the space we think we buy. The longer that hard drive manufacturers keep refering to a Megabyte as 1000KB, the greater that the amount of space 'goes missing' from a hard drive whilist in windows. I think it's something like a 2.3 % gap. Thus, we lose around 2.4% of the hard drives 'specfied' capacity (after formatting which loses a little bit of space, but not a great amount).

It can be even worse if a hard drive manufacturer defines a GB as 1000 X 1000 Bytes. In that case, we lose about 4.6% of the capacity we thought we were gonna buy. I researched this after WhoCares pointed out that getting 75Gig outta my 80 gig hard drive was the norm.

If Hard Drives were manufactured here, the practice of shortcutting would not be allowed due to the 'False Advertising'. What I don't understand is why can't an industry standard for the value of a Kilobyte and Megabyte be attained for the sake of the consumer. smile_o.gif

What I don't understand is why can't an industry standard for the value of a Kilobyte and Megabyte be attained for the sake of the consumer. smile_o.gif

They are standardized, and the 10 base(1000) system the hard drive manufacturers use is the correct one for "kilo" "mega" "giga" etc., while the 2 base(1024) is officially "kibi" "mebi" and "gibi". here is the "official" word about it.

In that case then, I want to see that system implemented, because that's the first time I've ever heard of an kibibit, mebibyte, and a gibibyte!

Me and my wife just switched to XP, we both have lost performance coming from Win98se

Oops I need to update this. I just doubled my ram from 512 - 1024 and without a doubt I have more performance than I did in Win98se now !

No more stuttering !

Care to elaborate in what fields you lost performance in?

I play BF1942 often and when I was in Win98 I had it running ok but was hoping for more performance.It was barely playable.

I switched to Winxp and even after much tweaking my BF42 was basically unplayable.I guess that it lost about 10% performance I was unable to recover.

Until like I said above post,now that I doubled my ram,it plays vry smoothly now,I can now switch weapons when alot of activity is happening !! Woot!!

Apparantly 512 ram is minimal to run Winxp

I also have a new cpu ordered,so I will be smokin!