Sign in to follow this  
Baron von Beer

Server requirements

Just curious. If I set up a server, how "weak" could the system be? I have an older box that just sits as a storage unit on the network, or gets used to play the old Steel Panthers (WW2 and MBT) etc, so I don't have to spend hours to getem running in XP, and slow down, etc. When running, it would likely never have more than 4-8 players on it. (Usually over LAN, so connection requirements aren't important)

Have 2 possible setups. As is, it is a 450mhz PIII w/ 384megs of RAM. I could put in a 750mhz Celeron if it needs that extra oomph, and I find the motivation to swap mobos and CPU. smile_o.gif Would a 450 run the server ok? (For limited # of players) and if not, would the 750?

Thx for any feedback. (And please don't bother if your just gonna say Dude, get a faster CPU, blah blah.. smile_o.gif I realize it is quite old, and that is why it sits as a storage bin. Just curious if I can put it to some use once more, and thus lighten the load of MY rig when playing on the LAN. smile_o.gif Thx again.

(IOW, will it start belching out smoke and fire if I try? I ran IL2 Forgotten Battles server on it ok, but not sure how that compares to this in terms of server work load.)

Well, you _might_ be okay with a 750 for missions with barely any AI. Once you have more than a few dozen AI units or groups, you can forget your sync rate etc.

Couldn't you steal a 1400Mhz somewhere, that would be much nicer. tounge_o.gif

EDIT: OFP 1.2 is much better at this dedi server load thing than 1.94, then again the number of features and bugs is not comparable.

It largely depends on the type of missions you want to play. I've been running dedicated servers with various speeds the last two years, ranging from a Pentium II 350 to a Celeron 1.6:

A Pentium II 350 and Celeron 500 ran OK with 4 people on small CTF maps e.g. with only two M113's (I think it was one of the MP maps that came with OFP:R, ctf advanced2 or alike), but screeched to a halt with more than 8 people on (yet again) simple CTFs.

A Pentium III 866 could take care of some 8 to 10 people on deathmatch and CTF maps.

Recently, I've been running a server in an OFP LAN party with 19 people on a Celeron 1.6 (actually a Celeron 1.3 overclocked to 1.6, making it perform similarly to a Pentium III 1.6). Most DM and CTF maps went quite smoothly, including a Hexenkessel variation, but a CTF map with just a M2A2, BMP2, 6 jeeps and 6 motorcycles brought it to its knees, resulting in massive desync.

Having lots of moving objects, AI and rapid fire (especially HE rounds that cause a lot of damage and movement on impact) will negatively impact your performance.

In any case, I would suggest swapping in the Celeron 750. You should be OK with 4-8 people playing not too complex missions. 384 MB memory is sufficient, provided that there's not too much running on the box alongside OFP.

I hope you don't plan to play CTI missions on your server. We use a 3,06 GHz PIV HT with 1 GB RAM and the machine is running at 10-15 frames per second while using 99,5% of cpu power.

Just for your info - MBT runs just fine on Windows XP. I got a game cd with it from one of those computer mags and installed it with no problems.

Question:

I will soon be upgrading my wife's computer to something around a 2700XP. If I use it as a dedicated server, and play intensive MP missions on it via a lan (something like CTI), will I have better performance than running that mission on my own computer?

Does using a dedicated server take over the processing of the AI, etc, so I could theoretically increase the visuals on my own computer? I was never to clear on this. I always just thought the benefits of a dedicated server were in terms of lag or internet latency (as opposed to FPS - the two terms are used interchangeably on this forum).

I just want to know before I copy all the gigabytes of addons, missions and settings to her computer.

Yes, it will be A LOT more powerful when dedicated.

It's definately worth it don't even hesitate smile_o.gif