Sign in to follow this  
TheRedBaron

Getting a new comp

The only thing I have trouble with when choosing motherboards is determining what system memory to use with it! What with 184Pin et cetera. And I am always too ambitious with my projects, but dropping the monitor is always a good way to lower the price of a home-built computer.

By the way, if anyone near Stockholm wants a free used monitor, give me a holler. The janitor down at my local high-school always has something to give to the underfunded rig builders. He even gives them custom paint-jobs if you ask him nicely wink_o.gif

The only thing I have trouble with when choosing motherboards is determining what system memory to use with it! What with 184Pin et cetera. And I am always too ambitious with my projects, but dropping the monitor is always a good way to lower the price of a home-built computer.

By the way, if anyone near Stockholm wants a free used monitor, give me a holler. The janitor down at my local high-school always has something to give to the underfunded rig builders. He even gives them custom paint-jobs if you ask him nicely wink_o.gif

A good motherboard is the foundation of a good 'puter. As for RAM, if your going for the DDR400 boards, try picking up 3200 DRR (TwinMOS matched pairs are good and bloody cheap Å58 for 512 (2x 256). If you are running it at 400FSB, you can't be very that aggressive with the timings though.

A good motherboard depends a hell of a lot on the manufacturer.

I swear by ABIT myself, and their MAX series of boards. (Loaded with extras).

For AMD, the nForce chipset is proving very popular. Make sure you new motherboard supports DDR400, has a AGP/PCI lock, and a good rep. READ REVIEWS!

Abit, Asus, Soltek, etc are some good brands. I would reccomend a Abit NFS7 2.0 if you are going AMD. They fly, and have lots of extras depending on the version.

Always read up on what you are buying though, as that MB will dictate how all your other expensive parts perform.

Dell is not bad around here in europe. I went to look around at dell.co.uk and dell.com and I was kind of astonished about the differences. In the UK most systems include a screen, that realy sucks. But I just bought a Dell computer (bla bla bla show off) and from many benchmarks it was voted as best complete system. The advantage: you can spare all those parts and software that you already have. My offer goes for 1099 Euros and is top notch. smile_o.gif

Altho they are better now than they were in the past,I don't recommend any of those propriority systems (Dell,Gateway,HP,Compaq etc...)

If you can't build your own,you can buy assembled systems

The 1 year delay confused me as well wink_o.gif

No need to revive an old thread that is no longer needed smile_o.gif