Sign in to follow this  
LeadPoison

GPS or Radar! Please!

BI - Please consider a GPS or radar option in future patches. It is so hard to play OFP because players in multiplayer games spend most of the time traviling in circles! With the scale of these maps, it is almost impossible to locate enemy targets without some kind of navigation assistance. A good Breifing and well marked map is somewhat helpful, but only if the objectives are short and simple. I think one of the best maps to date is city conflict because of the linear design.

In the mean time, does anyone have any tips on how to get yourself back in the game if you traveled in the wrong direction for to long? Or how to get started in the right direction?

Thanks!

lol@newbie

there is a GPS

some misions just have it turned off

other wise, you should beable keep track of where you are by watching where you start, then just keep the compas handy and watch how the tree lines and road directions match on the map

One trick you can use if you are commanding the group is to request a status report from a member of the group -- it will include the position.

If you have managed to get lost and are on your own, you may have to order a unit near you by selecting it, and then directing it to you by clicking on the ground in front of you. Once they show up, request the status as mentioned above.

Thanks guys,

I still think that OFP would be much better if it had a better system of letting the player know where they are at all times. Some of you aces are good at this kind of stuff, and I can even get where I need to be regardless but it sure would be nice if there was a on screen display to help take some of the headach of navigation out of the game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from LeadPoison on 3:59 am on Nov. 30, 2001

I still think that OFP would be much better if it had a better system of letting the player know where they are at all times. Some of you aces ........ <span id='postcolor'>

Disagree totally, why take away from the realism, there are other games that will give you this, play them instead.

I think you find after a few sessions you'll actually become an ACE yourself, if you try it enough you'll very quickly pick up how to use the map and compass to read the terrain. Once you start achieving this I'm sure you'll have a greater sense of achievment.

To much realism makes the game boring and if you want total realism, join the Army, just my opinion. To say that the navigation part of the game is not a problem, that is a problem over looked. I look at the game as a whole and have noticed that in just about every game I play people seem to never know where to go or what to do. Tell me you never saw a player leave the game because he cant find his team mate or has no Idea where the objective is located. What works for you my not work for others but a navigation system that could be toggled on or off from the client end would be I deal. If you want to constantly pause to look at the map and compass, you can, or what most people would do is use a HUDs display showing you your exact location in real time--if only it were a reality.

i always use the compass to head to the nearest coast(judging by the start point or your last known location) and then find my way from there

whoaaaa wait a minute.. this is a codemasters site not BI... i just noticed he said BI in his first thread up there... oh how do u get lost in the first place? i mean do u go run around a tree, hop in a helicopter, fly to 1000 feet then bail? seriously i couldn't get lost if i tried... ah anyway

whoaaaa wait a minute.. this is a codemasters site not BI... i just noticed he said BI in his first thread up there... oh how do u get lost in the first place? i mean do u go run around a tree, hop in a helicopter, fly to 1000 feet then bail? seriously i couldn't get lost if i tried... ah anyway AND BTW ITS BIS NOT BI!!

whoaaaa wait a minute.. this is a codemasters site not BI... i just noticed he said BI in his first thread up there... oh how do u get lost in the first place? i mean do u go run around a tree, hop in a helicopter, fly to 1000 feet then bail? seriously i couldn't get lost if i tried... ah anyway AND BTW ITS BIS NOT BI!!

holy crap why are there 3 of my postings?confused.gif oh well sorry bout that guys... uhhhh leadpoison did it... blame him, he got lost and became incredibly mad and started ahh nevermind

holy crap why are there 3 of my postings?confused.gif oh well sorry bout that guys... uhhhh leadpoison did it... blame him, he got lost and became incredibly mad and started ahh nevermind

Isn´t the players position shown directly on the map in easy mode?

If you don´t want to naviagte by using map&compass, play OFP in easy mode, this imho however takes a big deal of realism out of OFP.

As said before, if the GPS is available depends on how the mission is scriptet, but it´s deactivated by default.

Once you get more used to the maps, that is learning to read a map properly, you will prefer this method, as it´s one of the aspects that make OFP superior to other games.

Alone by looking at the map, you can tell where chokepoints are, ambush places etc.

In future Squad Training we intend to test new Squadmembers by inserting them with Helo´s anywhere on the map in low visibility, without GPS but compass, Map and a watch.

They have to find their way from A to B in a certain time, where aids are put along the route, such as vehicles they can use, if they are exact enough with the map to find them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from LeadPoison on 2:17 am on Dec. 1, 2001

To much realism makes the game boring and if you want total realism, join the Army, just my opinion. To say that the navigation part of the game is not a problem, that is a problem over looked. I look at the game as a whole and have noticed that in just about every game I play people seem to never know where to go or what to do. Tell me you never saw a player leave the game because he cant find his team mate or has no Idea where the objective is located. What works for you my not work for others but a navigation system that could be toggled on or off from the client end would be I deal. If you want to constantly pause to look at the map and compass, you can, or what most people would do is use a HUDs display showing you your exact location in real time--if only it were a reality.

<span id='postcolor'>

Leaving those controls in the hands of the clients enables cheating. The control over the difficulty level etc. belong on the server and/or in the mission. A mission that includes a GPS makes it trivial to determine your location.

Basically, all the tools are already there in OFP.

One of the wonderfull things in this game is that you can use your real-life experience here. So

- use compass

- use map

- carefully look for distinctive features of the terrain.

- stop whining

- grow up (the sooner the better)