Sign in to follow this  
TFR RLTW

BLACK HAWK DOWN

Its off topic but just to let anybody who dosent already know that, BLACK HAWK DOWN will be out Jan 18!

This will be the best war movie in history.

Why?

The book was not even that consistant , I hope the screenplay is better scripted then the book.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from WisdoM on 8:07 pm on Nov. 29, 2001

Nothing will ever be better than Full Metal Jacket my friend wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I concur

The first half of Full metal jacket is pure genius, the second half was a regular Stanley Kubrick let down.

if you're interpreting film Kubrick's bizarre renditions included beginning middle end....not 1st half 2nd half.

It's all 3 act

1. Setting

2. Conflict

3. Resolution

I thought the ending did it's job of demonstrating the transformation we were primed for in the Parris Island Scenes.

Been awhile since i've seen a crappy Ridley Scott flick, I'll be excited to see what he can do with BHD.

Its got an Aussie comedian in it - but he did recently do a very violent non-comedy, "Chopper - Eric Bana..

You know the Little Birds and the like, with miniguns and all that, d*amn it will have some funny parts - probably before it gets into serious s**t, as they get gorey, wounded and killed.

For example, a guy riding out on a _cow_ to attack the Dboys and Rangers is minigunned by a little bird, with all the spectacular destruction one might imagine. That was funny, but it was at the start of the capture operation, not when they started getting dead soldiers.

This will be better than Full Metal Jacket I hope. Can't wait for this. I thought the book was riviting.

Full metal jacket consits or divides into two diferent parts,camp training and real combat,there is no begining,conflict or resolution....i thought this film was one of the films where you can most easily distinguish different parts....

If we're looking at classic war films guys, then there are a few others you shouldn't forget...

Platoon,

Apocalypse Now (c'mon...who hasn't been tempted to play ride of the valkyries over broadcast comms),

Saving Private Ryan (for the D-day landings),

The Longest Day

The Eagle has Landed

The Great Escape

Tora Tora Tora

and, yep..Full Metal Jacket

That'll do for now methinks ;-)

JoeSchmoe

p.s. If anyone thinks pearl harbour is classic, then please, go and stand in the corner until you can make sense. Thanks. :-P

Saving Private Ryan is easily the best war movie ever.

No other war movie makes you sit there going "Fuuuuuck" for two straight hours the first time you see it.

I also like the fact that it didn't have the psycho-tangent weirdness of Scorsese or Kubrick, it was about normal men in a real war. That's what makes it great.

Okay ... I'm going a bit arty and leftfield for my 'Best War Movie Ever' vote, but here goes ...

... xx ... Das Boot ... xx ...

Comments?

I thought "All Quiet on the Western Front" was about the most realistic portrayal of war that I have ever seen. The old (1930's) b&w is best, but the newer one is great too, if only for the Ernest Borgnine.

i don't like full metal jacket at all. the drill instructor is funny, the trainign funny, the war bit boring as f**k, made even worse by the ''well, heres what kubrick thought about vietnam'' parts. first half (training) is great, second half (war) is rubbish.

my best war movies:

1. stalingrad (german film) - very good, and seemingly very long, most of the main characters get killed brutally, and theres lots of cool street fighting, thats realistic, and its not about f**king yanks saving the allies single handedly with ex school teachers who have lovely wifes back home and hate the war. its germans vs the russians so its actually pretty interesting and makes a nice change from british/american movies

2. zulu - brilliant movie, not only very good, but its actually very exciting for an old movie. tense, thrilling, and realistic (the guys actually run out of ammo!!). makes 'ols skool' napoleon war much more exciting.

3. saving private ryan - its unrealistic and has america slagging off the british, but still, the fighting is brilliant, best ever seen in a war movie, lots of blood, gore and wicked camera work. lovely last fight bit. loses points for having the predictable ass american hero deaths though.

i don't like full metal jacket at all. the drill instructor is funny, the trainign funny, the war bit boring as f**k, made even worse by the ''well, heres what kubrick thought about vietnam'' parts. first half (training) is great, second half (war) is rubbish.

my best war movies:

1. stalingrad (german film) - very good, and seemingly very long, most of the main characters get killed brutally, and theres lots of cool street fighting, thats realistic, and its not about f**king yanks saving the allies single handedly with ex school teachers who have lovely wifes back home and hate the war. its germans vs the russians so its actually pretty interesting and makes a nice change from british/american movies

2. zulu - brilliant movie, not only very good, but its actually very exciting for an old movie. tense, thrilling, and realistic (the guys actually run out of ammo!!). makes 'ols skool' napoleon war much more exciting.

3. saving private ryan - its unrealistic and has america slagging off the british, but still, the fighting is brilliant, best ever seen in a war movie, lots of blood, gore and wicked camera work. lovely last fight bit. loses points for having the predictable ass american hero deaths though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">saving private ryan - its unrealistic and has america slagging off the british, but still, the fighting is brilliant, best ever seen in a war movie, lots of blood, gore and wicked camera work. lovely last fight bit. loses points for having the predictable ass american hero deaths though. <span id='postcolor'>

The British were f**k ups, take Operation Market Garden for example, Montgomery WAS over rated.

Predictable American hero? are you a complete moron? everybody from Tom Hank's squad DIED, including Hanks. Only Rieben lives...

Maybe if you can get past your anti American BS you could see that

I'm going to go with another Kubrick war movie and say PATHS OF GLORY as my favorite war movie.

-=Die Alive=-

Guest Scooby

War movies I like most are, stalingrad, tuntematon sotilas (unknown soldier), Talvisota (Winter War), Rukajärven tie (Ambush).

Das Boot

Stallingrad

Full Metal Jacket

Saving private ryan was good, but it wasnt realistic at all.

For example...did u guys see they "forgot" to remove the "blank-stoppers" on the riffles they used...I was like.. ROFL!

Enemy at the gates, the part where they were in the ship and the part they just landed with their ships in Stalingrad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Sgt Hammer on 3:42 am on Dec. 1, 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">saving private ryan - its unrealistic and has america slagging off the british, but still, the fighting is brilliant, best ever seen in a war movie, lots of blood, gore and wicked camera work. lovely last fight bit. loses points for having the predictable ass american hero deaths though. <span id='postcolor'>

The British were f**k ups, take Operation Market Garden for example, Montgomery WAS over rated.

Predictable American hero? are you a complete moron? everybody from Tom Hank's squad DIED, including Hanks. Only Rieben lives...

Maybe if you can get past your anti American BS you could see that

<span id='postcolor'>

at least we didn't totally f**k up our beach landings, and didn't take a month to get off the beach afterwards, and took out most of hitlers air force, and joined the war when it started. we did much better than the americans on the beach landings (like taking on hitlers elite tank divisions afterwards while you all got nice and settled on the beach). The only thing america did for us was give us a few s**tty ass sherman tanks, food, and loads of soldiers, and the russians still won the war with hardly any of your help.

and montgomery won the campaign in africa. so he f**ked up market graden, you guys totally f**ked up omaha, and if you actually took the british help it would've been much less of a f**k up.

everyone in hanks squad died predictable ''no, your gonna make man, don't you worry'' deaths (well, most of them). or the, ''o well, i'm dying, lets show no fear and just fire pointlessly at the german tanks'' death.