Sign in to follow this  
meiso

Why the save on quit?

This has to be one of the most annoying "features" i've ever seen in a game, especially when combined with only being able to save once a mission. Because the missions take so long, say if I've been playing for 30 minutes or something and I mess up (my position has been compromised or I've done something wrong tactically) I'll just hit ESC, Abort the mission and quit the game (Do BIS think people have nothing better to do than play OFP for hours at a time?). Later on I go to load up my save and find I'm back where I was just after I screwed up the mission, it's not nice.

There must be a design reason behind it, it's just that for the life of me I can't imagine what it would be, does anyone else know? I really want to do all the missions without cheating but when you've played a mission for so long and then had all your work just swept away in one go the incentive to play through the whole thing again just goes out the window.

Yeah I know about this, but as soon as you abort the mission it saves over whatever save game you previously made.

When you go back to your mission, you're at the 'retry position'.  Press 'esc' and go to Load.

It's been a while since I've played the campaign, beat it a few times already lol. So that's atleast how I remember doing it.

I actually use this to my advantage..

If I dont wanna cheat with Shift - and then savegame,

I just abort and go in again, abort, and go in again :P

When you go back to your mission, you're at the 'retry position'. Press 'esc' and go to Load.

Yeah but the loaded game is at a point in time where the mission is as good as failed, because that's when I hit abort and called it a day.

SpecOp9: Good idea, I was actually thinking about that earlier.

Then is there a mission you're specifically stuck on? You can pretty much start over any mission you need to, they don't take a hellf oa long time to complete.

Well I'm on Incursion at the moment and it annoyed me cause I'd spent ages making my way along the coastline and had found a nice recce spot in some bushes/trees overlooking Guba's house before saving. Lucky I saved there because when I came out the trees I found myself directly behind a patrolling infantry squad, needless to say I hit the deck pretty fast. Unluckily that save point later got overwritten. mad_o.gif

I hate (in a good way) doing the Black Ops missions all over again cause they're just so damn scary! ghostface.gifwink_o.gif

My tip: Don't ever use 'Abort'. Kill yourself instead. If no enemy is handy, throw a grenade on the ground near yourself. Yes, the save on quit is lame, but not as stupid as 'retry' restarting the level, but not letting you use your single 'save' again! I use the suicide option regularly because my save game folder has grown to several hundred mb and otherwise requires a manual cleanup. So many design questions hey, like why does the 'cancel' button click area extend through blank space to within pixels of the 'ok' button making it easy to accidently hit while starting/exiting a game?

There are several erroneous statements in this thread. The save on exit uses a completely different save as the one-time manual save. If you exit, it saves your position, yes, but as soon as you resume, that save is gone. If you die, you have to start from your last manual save or retry point. The manual save, on the other hand, is permanent until you revert to the beginning of that mission.

There are several erroneous statements in this thread. The save on exit uses a completely different save as the one-time manual save. If you exit, it saves your position, yes, but as soon as you resume, that save is gone. If you die, you have to start from your last manual save or retry point. The manual save, on the other hand, is permanent until you revert to the beginning of that mission.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Has anyone noticed that you can also kill yourself by aiming as down as possible and shooting about 20 rounds there? biggrin_o.gif

Has anyone noticed that you can also kill yourself by aiming as down as possible and shooting about 20 rounds there? biggrin_o.gif

Yes. BIS said a long time ago that bulet fragments/ricochets cause injury and death in OFP.

What are you talking about man ?

Harnu is right your save game isnt overwritten .. when you re-load the game from the screwed up point ,Hit ESC and LOAD the game or retry from the better point you saved the game originally in.

it doesnt mess up anything rock.gif

Try reading the whole thread before posting, this was cleared up yesterday. The save system has already been explained twice, even if I didn't "get it" the first time.

What I do is pause OFP, Alt-Tab out to my desktop, then open c:\program files\codemaster\operationflashpoint\users\username\saved\campaigns\campaign name folder and rename the save.fps file to something descriptive. Then Alt-TAB back to OFP. press ESC to go back to the game then press ESC again to pause. Voila! I know have the Save option again!!

Now you can have as many saves as you care to make per mission !!!

This way I can "go back" If I find out that I screwed up tactically. For example, suppose I just got out of a fire fight and my whole squad is dead. I would now make a save, renaming the previous save with my squad alive. I can then go on and play some more, and if I need to I can restore back to a point int the game when my squad was alive.

If I used the -savegame cheat I wouildn't be able to do this.