Sign in to follow this  
victorious

Animated trees

Hey this question is posed to any and everyone that might have some knowledge in animations

is there anyway to make the trees and bushes move in operationflash point i think that would open up the environment much more and maybe make dust blow across the land? now it has been my observation that many things that were thought impossible before has been achieved so is this a feature that is possible but to early to look forward too?

Yup, it can be done, you just make a animation for the tree wich loops, the downside will be that it will probably eat your CPU alive if there's a hundred trees waving around at the same time on the screen, not to mention a whole island of them... crazy_o.gif

Pity that it'd eat the CPU up... I really love the tree animations in Ghost Recon. (Staring up at the sun with the trees blowing in the wind, creaking included is SOOO sexy.) It would be lovely to see it in OFP.

but what about creating individual trees and just setting them in a setting or maybe in particular area on the map that should work right?

Would performance be any better if you made a forest section that used one looping animation to make all of the trees in it move?

lets say so: tree's animation will only play when player approaches to it closer than 10 meters. like a blood script on kegetys's winter kogujev (or nogojev... don't remember)

now thats a good idea smile_o.gif the evironment will come alive so much i have never played ghost recon but i heard they have that feature! wink_o.gif

It looks very nice on Ghost recon, but there is a problem. In real life, your eye detects most motions, but the waving of trees is so slight (at least at the base) that you just don't notice it unless you are looking up. In Ghost Recon, no matter how slightly the trees move, the pixels change, which ends up making much more of a fuss than it should, because our resolutions cannot measure the small movements that I'm talking about. It makes the smallest movement that it can, which is fairly large. So, in short, the trees' smallest movement is hugely exaggerated. Since your eye in real life has a nearly infinitely better resolution than your computer monitor, you don't notice trees waving except for at the top where the movements are very obvious. And those movements cannot possibly be mistaken for the movements of a human in real life. In the game, however, you can't tell them apart.

Am I making sense here, or am I speaking Gaelic?

GUYS!

shitty idea, in fact i think thats the main reason why VIETCONG's frame rate is soooo shitty, those who own this game will know what i mean.

we dont need animated trees... this is OFP :P

Could you be anymore rude/ignorant, take it easy drow, its only a suggestion. You like profanity don't you?

make the animation, then run it via ?(player distance _tree <= 50:_tree animate ["partname", animationphase]

should help, now for those big forests that are 1 object you'd need another way to animate individual parts so the whole forest isn't moving, more than likely you'd have to make each tree a component and add the animation to it then run code from above to check player distance nearestobject so only the closest would be animated. Actually I'm surprised noones done this yet.

Make it so #1.

Hark

This sounds great thats why i love games like this it gives a chance to make things that you want unlike a game like

Recon

you cant make addons in that or many other games i thaink that its great that every one keep an open mind not a closed to keep good ideas going biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Now all we need is someone with the determination and patience to make tree anims biggrin_o.gif !

The way I could see that working without to much CPU destruction would be to create dodgy looking 8bit trees in a 32X32 resolution, though they'd look crappy!

GUYS!

shitty idea, in fact i think thats the main reason why VIETCONG's frame rate is soooo shitty, those who own this game will know what i mean.

we dont need animated trees... this is OFP :P

Shitty FPS in Vietcong? I ran mine fine with good to framerates the game trough, until one disc got manhandled by a certain person in my family...

There comes more than only the animating:

OFP got's wind BIS made WIND in OFP but you cant hear or see it but: It's there so how unreal would it be if the wind is blowing from the East and the Trees are bending still to the East ( or how you made them ) so you need to make more anims. And How would you animate the tree? For what I saw: The tree can be open in animator but it doesnt have the lod's to edit it so...There goes the plan.