Sign in to follow this  
swtx

This may be a tall order...

How about Dual Processor support ?  

OFP2 would break new ground with this one.  

I mean why not ?  Just think if the orginal had this support, you would be able to do more in-game.  Larger battles, more units, aircraft, etc.  This translates into longer missions with more objectives, you could command brigade size armies. Just think of the possibilities especially with a mod like Chain of Command.  Dual processor support would fix a lot of problems and allow for better ingame physics, dynamics, and real world effects that would put this game over the top.  

thats my two cents worth smile_o.gif

It is Dual processor support, or multi processor support, suggested several times, use the search feature. wink_o.gif

That may be true, but I do not see this suggestion in the Request Summary posted on this forum smile_o.gif

So why not drive it on home ?

smile_o.gif Ok, well if you know me well you know I support any multi processor solution. (even if it's not exactly common for home PC's)

It would be icing on the cake if OFP was scalable for multiple processors of course. However I doubt we will coerce BIS into any change with regards to that, it seems like this would have to be considered from day 1 to be implemented.

this has been suggested before, but there are no existing threads, so i'll leave it open for now.

Nice idea, now what about application?

bn880 is right on, it is a whole different can of worms to deal with. Implementing it for a MP server engine would allow scalability to humiliating (to other games) mission size levels.

BUT - how many average joe's are going to have a dual proc box? While it would be nice for off-loading effects (all those duplicated looping scripts and stuff) to provide for minimum game lag, (async), the ROI just ain't there. On MP servers tho, there is. That's where I suggest BIS look... although I don't think they should worry about more than 2x systems.

Dual processor support would be sweet, as my next computer will have 2 processors smile_o.gif

large scale battles in ofp2, mmh

this is a good question biggrin_o.gif ...does OFP support processors that have hyper threading and will OFP2 have this support in its coding..

Yep I was going to say....dual processors aren't common, but Hyper Threading is becoming more and more common. Support for that would be good smile_o.gif

Either one would be super !

All I can do is state the facts.  Over one million copies of OFP sold when it was released.  I think there are enough of us die-hard users around to justify the use of multi-processor support or Hyper-Threading.  I know expense is a key for BIS, but I think implementing this technology would allow gaming on a whole new level.

I'm going to upgrade sooner or later anyway,  so I give BIS full permission to take advantage of me biggrin_o.gif

Since I posted this topic, and I'm really in favor of multi-processor support in OFP 2, I thought I would provide a list of games that currently use this technology.

Games that support SMP

Obviously OFP2 will support hyper-threading because by the time it is released there will be no more northwood(P4C's) being sold, prescott's(P4E's) will be half way through their life span and Intel's 64-bit processing will be coming out... I think Support for both Intel's and Amd's 64 bitters will be supported in game.. and if not then later in a patch..