Sign in to follow this  
Fab.

Non planar faces

Hi there.

I have a problem with my fire geometry lod. I believe all other LODs are doing their job perfectly fine except this one :

if i shoot the side of the vehicle, i hit it (no problem)... but if i shout behind the back, i still hit the vehicle (problem).

So i believe my fire geo Lod is bugy.

It has 99 points, 89 faces, and the only difference i can make with BIS's fire geo lod is when i press check faces :

I obtain a list of "non-planar faces" and if i check the convexity it selects some vertex...

But i dont see anything wrong with these faces (they are all in the right direction) and all the components are perfectly closed...

Can anyone explain me what's wrong ? rock.gif

In my experience sometimes just re-doing those faces fixes the problem. Someone with more experience can probably give you a better answer though...

A picture would be easier but you said explain,lol

Non-planar and non-convexity faces means that the flat parts of your faces are twisted,try to picture making your geometry out of squares and triangles,and these are solid pieces that can't be twisted.

The planes(faces) are like glass,you can't have one point lower than the rest,it would break

And you can't have the blocks of geometry overlapping each other,the game sees the geometry like a lego creation and "lego part 1" can't occupy the same spot as "lego part 2"

Each part needs to be named and have some mass for normal geometry (maybe not needed for fire geo?),but you must know that.

cheers dudes

ok, i see what means planar in this situation... But i dont understand how you can have a non-planar face out of 4 points... sounds insane to me.

I tried to delete these faces and re-create them but I got the exact same problem if i use "check faces".

Also it looks like these non-planar face are the one my weapon hit when i'm shooting where the tank is not, it's just like if the lenght was extended for some reason  rock.gif  crazy_o.gif  sad_o.gif

EDIT : I used "triangulate" on these faces to split it into two triangles... guess what ? it's planar now... the symetrialy corresponding face on the other side of the tank doesnt needs that to be planar... but the faces are identical !

It's really strange... but at least it solved the problem : my Fire geo lod is working perfectly now...

Planar = All points in the same Plane smile_o.gif

Optimum is to have no non-planar faces

Delete the selection names non-planar and non-linear and select the menu link Check Faces

Then select non-planar and press triangulate (or try to make them planar by yourself, but it's quite hard)

Also remember to use "Find Components" and "Component Convex Hull" on every Geo LOD (don't know if the last one is needed for Fire Geo LOD?)

Maybe I didn't understand your problem clearly, you shoot behind the object and still hit it or what?

Are your Fire Geo and Geo LOD the right size?

Or go the other way round:

Select all (Ctrl-A)

Triangulate

Squarize

Squarize will only squarize the polys that can be squarized.

But then you've a very lots of polys, don't know if this is very good...

Doesn't that decrease the game performance if you've got 5000 polys instead of 3500?

it's alrite guys... problem sorted out.

my geo lod is not bugy anymore. but what i still dont understand is how a face cant be planar if it's made of 4 points...?

If i triangularize these non planar faces, then i can see the lightening of the two triangles is different even if i use sharp edges... I still dont get it. It's just like if you make a basic cube and on of the faces is non-planar for some reason.

this is weird !

It's just geometry. Imagine a pyramid with a triangular

base. That has four vertices, but it's not a single plane,

right? If you 'flatten' the point of the pyramid down to the

same level as the base, then all four points are in the same

plane, but it's not a pyramid anymore. It just happens to

be the case that all four points are in the same plane.

If you have a 4 point face that 'should' be planar, make sure

you haven't bumped one of the vertices by mistake. Flatten

points is your friend.

HR - O2 will make square poly's out of all those pairs of

adjacent traingular polys that it can. So you go up to 5000,

but you then come back down to 3500 + N, where N is the

triangulated polys. It's exactly equivalent to triangulating

the non-planar faces.

ohhh ok... of course you're right !

I suddenly realize a plane needs 3 points to be defined, not 4... stupid me, i forgot all my geometry lectures biggrin_o.gif