Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyDonkey

Hey hey ...  it's a solar storm

I see todays society would have a much greater concern over such solar outbursts than the society of 1859, thats an easy observation. But broken lines of communication and power,.......... for days?

I suppose I underestimated the disruption that these storms can really cause, or hang on........ have I become accustomed to poor and sometimes intermittant service through the recent privatisations of power and phone amenities?

I suppose I'm lucky I live somewhere where power is not truly vital for survival and comfort. But without it would inconvieniece life, thats for sure.

*Looks at Satelite TV reciever, hang in there ESPN, and discovery!*

I'm interested to know how the past scientists looked at the sun without burning their retinas. Especially if these sunspots increased in intensity. It wouldn't happen to be the same method of poking a hole in a peice of cardboard and observing a solar eclipse like that would it?

Say, those Northern lights sure look spectacular. It's a pitty I haven't been past the equator yet. I'll get there one day. Probably during my round trip of Europe: expected highlight, Nurburgring Nordschliefe, Expected lowlight: London. wink_o.gif  smile_o.gif

Ozanzac i think there was a primitive way of looking at the sun in a bucket of water tounge_o.gif , or somethiung like that we did the same thing for watching an eclipse...

Ozanzac i think there was a primitive way of looking at the sun in a bucket of water  tounge_o.gif  , or somethiung like that we did the same thing for watching an eclipse...

Awww. So That's how they did it. Simple yet ingenius. Learning something new everyday this week. smile_o.gif

After re-reading the article, was this recent flare more powerful than even that of 1859, and where about's in the world can the 'northern lights' be seen by forum users? How far South is this latest flare spreading the light?