Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyDonkey

Hey hey ...  it's a solar storm

They say that it has caused a power cut here in sweden and is predicted to do so again tonight or tomorrow...

Looks pretty cool doesn't it smile_o.gif

vert.story.Kinnunen1.jpg   story.yellow.sun.jpg

03.soho.gallery.jpg01.soho.gallery.jpg

I havent had a single power outage for about 4 years so hope it wont happen, I didnt bother to get a UPS on my unix server. biggrin_o.gif

I havent had a single power outage for about 4 years so hope it wont happen, I didnt bother to get a UPS on my unix server. biggrin_o.gif

Lucky you, the power goes out here a few times a month (propably not because of solar activity, though the power company could blame it on sunspots) My debian server reboots in under one minute so its not that much of a problem. ;)

The solar storm of the last few weeks is pretty much over already... Unless a new spike appears here.

Ok, btw i read that this storm busted a couple of satelites.. any idea witch ones?

this at least

this also happened

and this thing you already mentioned

Ok, btw i read that this storm busted a couple of satelites.. any idea witch ones?

this at least

Wow! A satellite that runs on Windows! wow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The Data Relay Test Satellite (DRTS), also known as Kodama, went into safe mode

They say that it has caused a power cut here in sweden and is predicted to do so again tonight or tomorrow...

http://i.cnn.net/cnn....en1.jpg

Dont mind me but i see an face in that picture...

Just check my edited one out... I puted line's on the holes so you can actualy see an face in it ( if you haven't seen one in the original ) but what does this mean?

see the faces here

Just check my edited one out... I puted line's on the holes so you can actualy see an face in it ( if you haven't seen one in the original ) but what does this mean?

see the faces here

yeah well look at the pics adress: http;//i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/TECH/space/10/31/spooky.auroras/vert.story.Kinnunen1.jpg    wink_o.gif

smile_o.gif

see the faces here

Ha! Check this one out from october 13:th:

Happy Halloween ghostface.gif

1013%20pump%20eit_284.jpg

Also from the above one really understand that the Bush administration really must launch an attack on the sun as part of their war on terror. The sun is without doubt a liar and deciever, it possesses weapons of massdestruction that could wipe out the USA in a matter of minutes, and most importantly it do not constitute any internationally recognized state - its not even a member of one! -, and can therefore not be seen as anything else than a terrorist, and a really EVIL one (just look at the image above, and think about its low morals)

Evidence of the sun possessing and even use weapons of mass destruction (btw, I think the sun has turned the same 'face' as on the picture above when launching this very present attack):

http://w1.315.telia.com/~u31505828/Hos/seit_00304_fd_20031030_0934.gif

TAKE THAT DENOIR! unclesam.gifbiggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Looks pretty cool doesn't it smile_o.gif

yes, when sweden is in trouble. tounge_o.gif

this kind of phenomenon is natural i guess. i'm not that worried since they usually last no longer a few hours(?).

TAKE THAT DENOIR! unclesam.gif  biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

Denior?

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>DENOIR??</span>

<span style='font-size:22pt;line-height:100%'>DENOIR??</span>

<span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'>DENOIR!!</span> crazy_o.gif

ok Avon we got the message ... blues.gif

Well i never saw a power cut in my whole life except once was fixed in under an hour ..... maybe i dont live on earth... tounge_o.gif

Well i never saw a power cut in my whole life except once was fixed in under an hour ..... maybe i dont live on earth... tounge_o.gif

We're about to have a country-wide labor union strike.

So, I expect we'll start seeing power outages just about n

No Electric for some hours?

O well got a laptop here that can work without power for 1 week so no problem....Only Food...Oh no I will die crazy_o.gif

Biggest solar flare goes off

By Dr David Whitehouse

BBC News Online science editor

_39531577_soho_203.jpg

The largest ever flare glares from the Sun's limb

Just as solar scientists thought the Sun may be winding down it has unleashed the biggest solar flare ever recorded.

It was so energetic that it overloaded the detectors on satellites monitoring the Sun's surface.

The blast was accompanied with a gigantic gas cloud of billions of tonnes of superhot gas being ejected into space - some of it directed at Earth.

Researchers are saying that the Sun's current spate of activity - now 10 days in duration - is the most dramatic and intense ever witnessed on the Sun's surface.

_39531579_soho_203.jpg

Huge energy

Powerful solar flares are given an "X" designation. There was an X8 and an X3 event on Sunday.

On Monday, there was an X3 flare followed by smaller ones.

The gas cloud starts on its way

Last week there were X7 and X10 events that took place back-to-back.

Tuesday's flare went off the scale, researchers say it was "well above X20".

This would make it the most powerful ever recorded, surpassing the X20 flares of 2 April 2001 and 16 August 1989.

The major flares have come from sunspot region 486, now officially the most active solar region in recorded solar observational history.

Region 486 is being taken over the Sun's limb by solar rotation. Parts of the latest megaflare occurred beyond the limb.

Dr Paal Brekke, deputy project scientist for the Solar Heliospheric Observatory (Soho) Sun-monitoring satellite, told BBC News Online: "I think the last week will go into the history books as one of the most dramatic solar activity periods we have seen in modern times."

Is the Sun having major constipation or what? crazy_o.gif

Denior?

Aha, ok. I missed this thread. Now I'm strating to get the "got your power back yet?" comments I've been getting.

Contrary to popular belief I don't think there have been any power losses in Sweden. I searched various news sites and could find no mention of it. rock.gif

I think that SpeedyDonkey must have gotten it wrong.

_39531579_soho_203.jpg

Huge energy

Look carefully and you will see a cherubic face - lips, eyes, nostrils and hair.

It's a Telletubbie! wow_o.gif They're here! wow_o.gif

Just a question, but about when did researchers start to have the ability to measure the Suns solar flares?

I say this because a few people I know, seem to have a little concern over it, and I question their worry due to the fact that because it's the largest flare ever recorded, it doesn't necessarily mean that what it has produced this week is the be all and end all of on life on earth, especially considering that we've had what, satelites in space for 50 years, and basically, as my dad would put it, a bees dick of a bees dick in the timeline of the history of the sun.

Seriously, whats the big deal? This is just the first abnormality that the sun has shown since us humans have been able to measure solar flares. I think it would be more weird if there were'nt some abnormalities everynow and then. Wouldn't you? rock.gifwink_o.gif

Oh, And about those warnings about the Milky Way sucking in one of our neighbouring galaxies and tearing it apart in 3 Billion years, I'll just pull my 10 billion year calander out and make a note not get out of bed on that day............hang on, thats right, I've already got a date sometime around the next century to help replenish the worlds fossil fuel supply, remind my 3 billionth over 100 set of decendants, mayby they'll care! tounge_o.gif

The longest shot would be when sceintific data was started recording through satellites and thats hrdly 40 years ..so according to them its the biggest solar flare in 40 years ... and the fact that it might damage satelittes and stir up our electricity is enough to get them worried wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

_39531579_soho_203.jpg

Huge energy

Look carefully and you will see a cherubic face - lips, eyes, nostrils and hair.

LOL you need your lenses checked Avon tounge_o.gif

_39531579_soho_203.jpg

Huge energy

LOL you need your lenses checked Avon  tounge_o.gif

sun_ani.gif

Denior?

Aha, ok. I missed this thread. Now I'm strating to get the "got your power back yet?" comments I've been getting.

Contrary to popular belief I don't think there have been any power losses in Sweden. I searched various news sites and could find no mention of it.  rock.gif

I think that SpeedyDonkey must have gotten it wrong.

Im very sure that i read it on expressen (yeah not the most reliable) I fail to find it now too. This article is all i can find but thats more like a general warning and not what i ment  expressen.se (in swedish)

I say this because a few people I know, seem to have a little concern over it, and I question their worry due to the fact that because it's the largest flare ever recorded, it doesn't necessarily mean that what it has produced this week is the be all and end all of on life on earth, especially considering that we've had what, satelites in space for 50 years, and basically, as my dad would put it, a bees dick of a bees dick in the timeline of the history of the sun.

Well, it isn't that much of a concern, though in the modern earth it could cause alot of damage if electricity would be lost for long times in big areas or if important satellites would be knocked out. Big solar flares have happened before, but I dont think there was much of a concern about them in year 1000 or something since there was nothing to broke down by their effect.

here is an article about a "solar superstorm" that occured in 1859. Even without the measurement devices we have now you could watch sunspots back then and see the results of such large solar flares.