Sign in to follow this  
aj142

What was the very 1st 3ps? 

I was playing Flashpoint & it suddenly dawned on me how many great FPS & 3PS games I have now & how many are still on the way, such as Spawn (http://www.namco.com/games/spawn)  - they say it’s going to be very similar to Devil May Cry).  Last year and this year have been excellent for FPS & 3PS games.  It's pretty common that Castle Wolfenstein 3D was the technically the first or second-ever FPS.  So now I’m wondering what was technically the first-ever third person shooter?

Great 3rd person shooter??? I don't understand, isn't that a oxymoron?

Whoa... what about Splinter Cell, Hitman 2, Tomb Raider (well, the original ones), MGS2, Vice City, Max Payne, etc.??? You mean to tell me that you don't think there are any great 3PSs out there??

IIRC I think it was Fade to Black...Amazing graphics for its time smile_o.gif

Heh...I remember trying it on my 486SX 25...That's as far is went tounge_o.gif

All of those games are either crap or would be better in first person (eg Max Payne is far better in First person) IMO.

Hehe...Seems like you may be suffering from a classic case of OFPitis to me...

Max Payne,Mafia or GTA3 wouldn't be the same if they were in 1st person.You get way more atmosphere and feel more immersed in the environment with 3rd person, not that I don't think much of 1st person, it's more realistic and has some benefits, but 3rd person is geared more towards the fun factor than the realism factor, and as such, I like it smile_o.gif

3rd person aiming is just too suck~sucky! It's good to have 3rd person as an option, but sucks to have it alone...

I believe 'PacMan' was the first 3rd person game, if the 'cursors' in ZX81 tennis games are'nt defined as peoples tounge_o.gif ...

Max Payne,Mafia or GTA3 wouldn't be the same if they were in 1st person.You get way more atmosphere and feel more immersed in the environment with 3rd person, not that I don't think much of 1st person, it's more realistic and has some benefits, but 3rd person is geared more towards the fun factor than the realism factor, and as such, I like it smile_o.gif

Rubbish, games are far more immersive in first person. The only reason 3rd person is any good is to see the characters from behind.

I did play max payne in first person - it was far, far, far better.

Guest DKM-jaguar
All of those games are either crap or would be better in first person (eg Max Payne is far better in First person) IMO.

good point, but i get increbily pissed off when i have the aim mark on the enemy gangster and my shots hit the bonnet of the car he is crouching behind mad_o.gif

But Mafia is by far the greatest, and most realistic 3ps in my opinion, and maybe even the most realistic in any game ever. The pyshicis are amazing.. everything you touch/hit/smash moves as they do in real life. but getting hit by a car travelling 40 miles an hour only gives you grazes

crazy_o.gif

But i think that game engine would possibly be the best for a swat game, instead of single-building sieges you get entire citys to react to calls etc..infact the more i tink about it, you could make a 100% realistic police simulation game..