Sign in to follow this  
Silencer

d*amn FPS!

which should I really get to just improve my FPS.when I play single player with bots the FPS the FPS is kinda ok.

how will the FPS be like in multiplayer?

will it be the same as in single player?

I have 128 MB of RAM

You need to post more specs. You're going to have vastly differnt performance on a 128MB RAM system dependingon if your processor is a 500MHz or 1.4Ghz, or if your video card is a Voodoo2 or a GeForce 3 Ti500.

But at the bare minimum, anyone who's serious about gaming needs 256MB of RAM.

Hardly; if you only have 128MB of RAM it doesn't matter how fast your CPU is because you'll spend most of your time swapping to and from your hard drive. You can buy graphics cards with more than 128MB of RAM today, so putting only 128MB of main memory in a system with a 1+GHz CPU is a joke.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from MrLaggy on 8:01 pm on Dec. 17, 2001

Hardly; if you only have 128MB of RAM it doesn't matter how fast your CPU is because you'll spend most of your time swapping to and from your hard drive. You can buy graphics cards with more than 128MB of RAM today, so putting only 128MB of main memory in a system with a 1+GHz CPU is a joke.

<span id='postcolor'>

So what to do then?

i had 128 when i bought OPF...then I upgraded to 384...and it made a huge difference

I trade mHz for RAM anyday (not that i have to) smile.gif

but didn't they say the game will only use 256mb no matter how much rams you have?

Yes, but the game isn't the only thing running on the PC; you need room for the operating system as well, including the disk cache. With 256MB of RAM on my PC it swapped for a minute or so between quitting OFP and returning to a usable desktop, now with 640MB OFP shuts down almost instantly.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from charles on 6:02 am on Dec. 18, 2001

but didn't they say the game will only use 256mb no matter how much rams you have?

<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, I think Suma said it could and would use more than 256MB of RAM...

The more RAM you've got, the less your HD has to access. Which means the faster your processor can get it's "hand's" on the info.

The bigger, the better. (RAM)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from MrLaggy on 12:51 am on Dec. 18, 2001

Yes, but the game isn't the only thing running on the PC; you need room for the operating system as well, including the disk cache. With 256MB of RAM on my PC it swapped for a minute or so between quitting OFP and returning to a usable desktop, now with 640MB OFP shuts down almost instantly.

<span id='postcolor'>

with 256MB of RAM it should definitely NOT have swapped for as long as that. No freakin way. I think you need to take your system back to Compaq and get someone to build you a proper pc

I tried a sort of little experiment. I took 50 civilians (using the mission editor) and placed them in one large group.

While they were alive my fps was low, everything was jumpy.

So, then I blew them all up with a satchel.

Once they were dead my fps increased.

I'm assuming that dead bodies have just as many polygons as living ones, so am I right in thinking that the low fps was due to having 50 AI's alive at once and so I could increase my fps by upgrading my proccessor?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Mister Frag on 2:06 am on Dec. 18, 2001

Actually, I think Suma said it could and would use more than 256MB of RAM...

<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. Search The FAQ for "RAM".

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm assuming that dead bodies have just as many polygons as living ones, so am I right in thinking that the low fps was due to having 50 AI's alive at once and so I could increase my fps by upgrading my proccessor?

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes; with lots of units alive OFP slows to a crawl on my machine, but when I've killed some off or when I play the original campaign missions rather than the huge downloadable missions it's perfectly happy. So you need to find the right compromise between RAM, CPU and graphics card.

"Hardly; if you only have 128MB of RAM it doesn't matter how fast your CPU is because you'll spend most of your time swapping to and from your hard drive. You can buy graphics cards with more than 128MB of RAM today, so putting only 128MB of main memory in a system with a 1+GHz CPU is a joke. "

Which is why I said he needs to post more specs. If he's got a PII 400, it's going to make more of a difference (relatively) than if he's got a lot faster processor.

And unless you feel like paying over $1000 for a industrial-strength professional-level graphics card, you're not going to find a gamer with a video card that has more than 64MB of RAM. Be realistic.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from 762WorldOrder on 6:31 am on Dec. 19, 2001

<Snip>

And unless you feel like paying over $1000 for a industrial-strength professional-level graphics card, you're not going to find a gamer with a video card that has more than 64MB of RAM.   Be realistic.  <span id='postcolor'>

You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a video card with 128MB of RAM if you really want one -- there are even some GeForce2 MX 400 boards with 128MB, like this one:

<a href="http://www.gzeasy.com/itnewsdetail.asp?nID=427

The" target="_blank">http://www.gzeasy.com/itnewsdetail.asp?nID=427

The</a> next generation of GeForce cards (GeForce4 ?) will also likely sport 128MB of RAM standard.

A GF2 MX with 128MB RAM?? That's just a really stupid sales gimmick, it's not gonna make any difference compared to one with 64 or even 32MB except if you run some seriously heavy stuff, in which case you don't use a MX anyway...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from 762WorldOrder on 11:31 pm on Dec. 18, 2001

Which is why I said he needs to post more specs. If he's got a PII 400, it's going to make more of a difference (relatively) than if he's got a lot faster processor.<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. If you only have 128MB of RAM in your PC then OFP will run slowly at high detail settings regardless of whether you have a PII-350 or a PIV-2200. If you're waiting for the machine to swap in data from the hard drive you're waiting for it to swap in from the hard drive, doesn't matter how fast your CPU is, it can't speed that up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And unless you feel like paying over $1000 for a industrial-strength professional-level graphics card, you're not going to find a gamer with a video card that has more than 64MB of RAM. Be realistic.

<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I haven't looked at the link someone posted to the 128MB GF2 MX board, but there will almost certainly be other 128MB game cards hitting the market in the next few months.