Sign in to follow this  
andersgrim

Unofficial expansions

Look....if we changed the poll to:

"Who would offer a donation to teams if addons were treated like shareware....give if you like but if dont want to...your choice" the number would be the same.

Most people have no idea the amount of effort that goes into these ventures or have any idea the sacrifices made. Because they don't have this appreciation they cannot put any value in the work that is done and as there is no value they feel it is not something worth contributing money towards.

I understand the arguments made in the other thread ie. missions not being made, have's and have nots...and hell...I even agree with them....but I also think addon makers have been getting too much shit for too long from people who almost expect that free stuff should be handed to them.

I speak for myself here...not BAS. Where do people think the money for all this free shit comes from? Who pays for the bandwidth to download their addons, who pays for the websites that spread news, who pays for the tools to make all the nice addons they enjoy? Even you Avon Lady run some kind of goods purchasing on your site to offset costs.

At the end of the day...it's not so much about the money....but the general attitude that all this should be given to ME, RIGHT NOW!!, high quality...and FOR FREE!!....or goddamn it...I'm going to publically sledge your work in the forums.

What if I said BAS was poised to release a mod that had mutiple new unit release, a totally new playing enviroment and a campaign to match that was every bit as good, if not better than something BIS could make. Do you think people would pay for it (if this was indeed legal and possible). Cmon....no way...why...because we are mod makers....we should be doing this for free....what's fair in that?? When it was fun...yeah....it was a labour of love....I guess...now that I think about it......the issue is that a lot of the "fun" is being taken out of addon making.

I'm not sure what the answer is....and the other BAS guys tell me its just the bad apples that are most vocal. But I have lost my interest in the community recently. Everyone is a critic and a lot of people take without giving back.

Present company excluded biggrin_o.gif

Look I apologise for the stingy comment.....it was more to illustrate the take, take, take attitude of the youngsters around here.

Shit...I told the BAS guys I had banned myself from these forums. After this post I should.

See ya all....I'll be back when my faith in humanity and the community is restored....whenever that is.

Even you Avon Lady run some kind of goods purchasing on your site to offset costs.

1. OFP Cateen has made me 5 or 6 bucks richer!

2. Purchases through affiliate links (Amazon, etc.) have netted me around $50, I believe, over a period of more than 2 years.

3. No one pays me for my time & effort.

4. I have my hosting costs covered from outside of the player community.

Except for #4, I'm not interested in obligating anyone to cough up a penny for what I've invested in The FAQ. I won't even place a donate by Pay-Pal button on my site.

As for #4 itself, if I had to cover the costs required to maintain The FAQ's current level of hosting service, I most probably wouldn't do it. Mine's a solo job and I've got no one to split the costs with. I would otherwise have opted for a very low data capacity hosting account, which would have led to many "server busy" responses when trying to access The FAQ.

In contrast, as a memeber of a mod team with around a dozen members, I would be willing to contribute an equal amount for things such as hosting and domain registration.

It's not like anybody is FORCED to make addons. You can quit any time.

No problems TS....I know the attitude you are talking about. I have never asked you guys for a release date for the reasons you are talking about....I find it annoying too.

A lot of us do understand how much time/effort/money goes into making addons...and as for donations for servers, I think you would be pleasantly suprised how many people would donate if needed. That is quite a separate issue I think from paying for addons...which enough has been said about.

My advice is....ban yourself from here for a while lol tounge_o.gif Seriously though, relax....and go make me some addons NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!!! biggrin_o.gif Hehehe

ok now a turn to the topic:

What will happen with me if i:

Put all the VBS1 stuff that i tweaked to let it work with OFP on a CD and put it in stores and sell it?

Perhaps something like this (random google search for "software copyright theft")

ok now a turn to the topic:

What will happen with me if i:

Put all the VBS1 stuff that i tweaked to let it work with OFP on a CD and put it in stores and sell it?

You'd get arrested, probably locked away, and if you're unlucky the key would be thrown away too...

Its not "just" a game you'd be messing with, but Government Property, which carries punishments much harsher than "civil" affairs...

Check your O*F manual (last page) for complete agreement - only some interesting parts follow below:

//---

The Codemasters Software Company Limited software licence agreement

YOU SHALL NOT:

* Copy the Program

* Sell, rent, lease, licence, distribute or otherwise transfer or make avaiable to any other person the Program, in the whole or in part, or use the Program or any part thereof in any commercial context, including but not limited in a  service bureau, "cyber-cafe", computer gaming center or any other commercial location in which multiple users may access the Program or, for the avoidance of doubt, for making any modification, add-ons or derivative works for commercial exploitation. Codemasters may offer a separate Site Licence Agreement to permit you to make the Program available  for commercial use; see the contact information below (Codemasters address).

* Reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works of the Program, in whole or in part.

//---

Hmm smile_o.gif My OFP copy doesn't equal to your... ;) Strange things, isn't t?

First of all I've got enother LICENCE AGREEMENT.

And it hasn't any word about addons and midifications for sale the same as your LICENCE hasn't this phrase "except a single backup copy". Codemasters fixed own mistakes too late. There are thousands of people over the world who got the same LICENCE.

The copyright LAW as an any others law HAS NOT RETROACTIVE EFFECT. Draw a conclusions ladies and gentelmens.

What about visitor and Oxygen copyright limitations: I may use alternative usermade programs for making Islands and ingame models.

So, do you still really think that people can't sale own campaigns, missions, mods etc?

This is my version of LICENCE AGREEMENT

YOU SHALL NOT

* Copy the Program except a single backup copy.

* Sell, rent, lease, licence, distribute or otherwise transfer or make avaiable to any other person the Program, in the whole or in part, or use the Program or any part thereof in any commercial context, including but not limited in a  service bureau, "cyber-cafe", computer gaming center or any other commercial location in which multiple users may access the Program. Codemasters may offer a separate Site Licence Agreement to permit you to make the Program available  for commercial use; see the contact information below (Codemasters address).

* Reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works of the Program, in whole or in part.

Don't believe me? I can scan this text for you.

Regardless of whatever the OFP license agreement says, the Visitor and O2 ones both say that you cannot sell anything made with them.

From one of the License Agreements

Quote[/b] ]BI Studio grants to you a personal, nonexclusive license to make and use the Software for the purpose of designing, developing, testing, and producing non-commercial game content for PC CD-ROM game Operation Flashpoint....

You acknowledge and agree that BI Studio is providing you the Software free of charge in order to allow you creation of non-commercial game content for Operation Flashpoint only and you agree to not commercially exploit any game content you may create using the Software.....