Sign in to follow this  
Captain Winters

Problem saving error

Well I had to reformat my HDD AGAIN, so when I reinstalled Resistance I got an error something about the O.pbo addon causing an error and it closes the installation. SO I copied all of the files to my OFP directory and reinstalled and no the game works fine. BUT whenever I try to say one of my missions I get this error:

savingerror1.JPG

Any ideas?

Tanks! blues.gif

Are there any unusual characters in the name of the mission? I would avoid anything except letters, numbers, and spaces.

I had the same problem, I had a ':' in the name. Apparently certain characters cannot be used in file name, although I don't know why 'text' would not work...

Is this a Win 2K or XP install? Did you install as administrator? Is your OFP\USERS directory (or subdirectories) somehow set to READ ONLY?

Yea, it's an XP install but I installed it for only me (the owner) since I have no other users. Anywho, it could be a read only file cuase I copy and pasted the 'FlashpointResistance' folder off the CD to my OFP folder. But then I installed over it... any more ideas?

Tanks! blues.gif

Obviously, that's not the correct way to install OFP:R. I would do it the correct way (by running SETUP.EXE from the root of the CD), and then patch to V1.91.

Windows XP doesn't retain the read-only file attribute for files copied from a CD (unlike some earlier versions of Windows), and the mission you are saving wouldn't have been included on the CD anyway, so I think we can rule out file attributes. I would still check the Security attributes of the OFP folder and subfolders, and give anyone (except Guest, maybe) full access to them.

Still, doing the install correctly and then patching to V1.91 should be the first step in solving this.

Well I had to reformat my HDD AGAIN, so when I reinstalled Resistance I got an error something about the O.pbo addon causing an error and it closes the installation.

Sounds like your H-D is crashing or the filesystem is corrupted.

You said you format the drive AGAIN.

I'd say that H-D has seen its better days.

Have you looked at the eventlog?

Does it say any errors concerning writing to a device on the IDE or SCSI-controller?

right-click 'my computer' and click 'manage', then 'eventlog' and 'system'

Well, before I did, there was a mem() error but i fixed that, but no theres really nothing to do with SCSI or IDE... hmm. my HDD is dying!! NO!! is there anyother reason why I wouldnt be able to save?

Tanks! blues.gif

Well, before I did, there was a mem() error but i fixed that

How?

care to explain what mem-errors?

Is via 4-in-1 relevant? What about your aspi layer?

i dono. there was a mem() error that it gave me... might notta been a system error though... so dont pay attention to that.

whats a aspi layer?

Tanks! blues.gif

nope.

'File Read Error:

D:\...O.pbo'

So I'd have to do originally what I did before... Any more ideaS??

Tanks! blues.gif

Post your complete system specs.

Pentium IV 1.5gHz

512mb SDRAM (i think its SD)

40GB HDD 7200rpm

128mb Radoen 9000 Pro Chip Set

Thats pretty much it. i do believe its a 7200rpm HDD.

Tanks! blues.gif

You've missed out the possibly most important one, motherboard? And what chipset is it based on?

Make sure there are no scratches or fingerprints on the CD, and if you are a smoker, consider getting a CD lens cleaner kit and use it on your drive. Cigarette smoke deposits can cloud the lens of the laser and affect the ability to read or write data.

hmmm. okay. im not sure what Motherboard i got, but it is based on INtel i do believe. but i dont smoke, and i have no anti-virus on... sad_o.gif

Tanks! blues.gif

hmmm. okay. im not sure what Motherboard i got

Then I'd strongly suggest you find out, lots of ways, open up the case and have a look, find the manual, find the info about your system if you bought it as a complete system, download an app such as sisoft sandra which will tell you, find out what it is then see if it's a via chipset and download the latest 4in1 drivers and/or proper ide drivers, agp, bios etc. etc. etc.

Okay, but I don't understand. OFP has been working for me for 2 and a half years... why would it crap on me any given day?

Tanks! blues.gif