Sign in to follow this  
TheRedBaron

Rar instead of pbo

i just downloaded some ww2 planes and istead of being pbo files they were rar and i put them in the addons folder anyways(they didnt work) so how do i use them

lol bis made a New file extension for OFP .RAR no just kidding but most addon makers zip their addons in rar files because winrar gives more comrpession then Winzip. so juse winace or winrar tot open it  wink_o.gif

PS: Post this next time in the AM:D section because this is the "WRONG" section wink_o.gif

When i zip files with -9 option (best compression) they always get as small as the rar version. OTOH there seem to be different versions of (at least) rar out there, some rar archives can be unpacked by my winace program and some only show an empty archive or only the first of many files in the archive. Therefor i would compress files with zip, but use best compression.

When i zip files with -9 option (best compression) they always get as small as the rar version. OTOH there seem to be different versions of (at least) rar out there, some rar archives can be unpacked by my winace program and some only show an empty archive or only the first of many files in the archive. Therefor i would compress files with zip, but use best compression.

Best compression you can usally get with Winace, yeah your problems seem to be wrong versions of WinRar installed. Your WinAce clearly doesn't support the lates format of RAR so... smile_o.gif if you don't want any trouble, use latest WinRar for rar files and latest WinAce for ace files and so on.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

rock.gif

Very mature...How about giving the guy a hand instead of laughing at him like that...

I only use Winace for .ace archives and Winrar for .rars but IMHO the best compression program out there is Power Archiver.

Winace cant show pw protected rar archieves but it can decompress the archieves. And i think the difference of the compression rate will you only see if you use bigger archives like 100 MB or higher.

Well it is a bit surprising that people still ask about RAR (on gameinfo etc). RAR is one of the oldest formats around (at least 10 years old). It is also one of the better compression formats, hence the point of using it.

BM

It doesn't matter how old RAR is, some people may not have heard of it simply because they may have bought their PC two days ago smile_o.gif

Seriously, you should not laugh at people that ask questions, you should laugh at people that do NOT ask questions and thus do nothing to reduce their ignorance smile_o.gif

We all had to learn at some point and the only stupid question is the one which is never asked.

Besides which, such a question is not about a completed model, it is about installing an addon, hence Addons+Mods: "Discussion" smile_o.gif