Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Command vehicles

OK, just a couple of quick questions:

1. What do the US currently use as command vehicles (and by command vehicles I mean vehicles where commanders communicate to the rest of their squad from). Is it M113's or Bradleys? Do the marines use AAV's? And what moficiations do these have compared to the standard APCs they are based on?

2. What do other countries, primarily Russia, use?

US Army uses the M577. They had planed on adding the M4 C3I (looks like an MLRS, but with lots of antennae instead of rockets) vehicle to that, but changed their mind. They did make four M4s, though, and deployed 2 of them to Iraq for the war. In light infantry units, you'll usually see HMMWVs being used as command vehicles. Support units will have HMMWvs, 2.5 or 5-ton trucks with radio shacks.

Most countries use variants of their APCs as command vehicles. They basically scoop out a lot of the seats and ammo stowage and put in radios and map tables. I think the Russians denote their command vehicles with a "K" - like T-80UK or BMP-3K, etc.

I saw on Fox news' live coverage of the invasion of Iraq that they were using an M113 as a C&C vehicle.

I saw on Fox news' live coverage of the invasion of Iraq that they were using an M113 as a C&C vehicle.

It wasn't an M577? The M577 looks exactly like the BIS M113 ambulance in OFP. I don't know that the US Army even uses M113s all that much, except MPs and some combat service/support units like engineers and mech/armor battalion support platoons. Maybe it was an engineer unit TOC? Or the TOC/FDC for a battalion mortar platoon? That would make sense.

It probably was. The newscaster said it was an M113, but it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong about military equipment. I was just going by looks anyway.

VAB PC

VAB_PC_France_01.jpg

AMX10P PC

amx10p-10a.jpg

the AMX apparently doesn't have its supplementary antennas mounted

the PC vehicles in the french army are fitted with supplementary communication systems

The interesting thing about Russia is that it's taking the idea of command vehicles to the air. For example the Su-30M with it's data link can gather radar information from other nearby fighters and the back seater can use this to coordinate them much like an AWACS. Also the twin seat Ka-52 gunship is meant to command two single-seat Ka-50's.

OK, now the BIG question: how come no-one has made any for OFP?  rock.gif

I would say gameplay limitations. Is it possible to send and recieve radar information from one vehicle to another in OFP? Don't think so. Altough I guess the satellite-view I've seen in some RTS and CTI missions would do.

Almost every American armored vehicle has a command and control variant. My military experience is exclusively in light infantry and SF so I haven't really dealt with any of it.

The BW has multiple command vehicles in several classes.

Wolf

M113 rarely used

TPZ Fuchs 1A2 FüFu, 1 FlaFü, Ratac-S, PiFü, RASIT DR-PT 2a

Marder

Luchs

Leo 2

Sryker

Dingo

M577 GefStdFz

bw_mtw_m113_g3_ge-001.jpg

The Fennek will also get it´s role as command vehicle once it´s in service.

bw_fennek_02.jpg

The Wiesel is a weapon carrier only. It has no command modifications.

In Vietnam they used to sling load a connex into an AO from a Ch-47 as a infantry command and control center. Can you say bullet magnet? The more I study that war the more of a goatf&$k it looks like.

The Wiesel is a weapon carrier only. It has no command modifications.

You're talking about Wiesel 1 or Wiesel 2?

Have a look at www.deutschesheer.de. They say that there is a Wiesel 2 Gefechtsstand version. Maybe they're still tested because the Wiesel 2 platform is new in the Bundeswehr. wink_o.gif

A Wiesel is a Wiesel and a Wiesel 2 is a Wiesel 2

wink_o.gif

Nethertheless I haven´t seen any Wiesel 2´s in action.

Wich units do actually have them right now ?

As far as I know there are some in AA units and with parachuting forces.

you're right, the Wiesel is only a Weapon carrier, but the Wiesel 2 is used as an Ambulance, an engineer vehicle, Gefechtsstand, and there is an AA system for airborne operations which consists of an AAF Wiesel (Aufklärungs-, Führungs-, und Feuerleitwiesel) and an OZELOT equipped with Stinger AA missiles.

and it seems like they're used by Airborne forces only.

Fallschirm-Panzeraufklärer, um genau zu sein. Diese Waffengattung ist so neu und klein (meines Wissens zwei Kompanien), daß deren Angehörige mitunter angemacht werden, warum sie denn einen Falli-Adler am schwarzen Barett trügen... wink_o.gif

In English: Parachute Armored Recon, in order to be exact. This branch of service is so new and small (AFAIK two companies) that their members are sometimes hit on why they're wearing the parachute eagle on a black [Panzertruppe] beret... wink_o.gif

The UK Armd Regts use 2x two Sultan's back to back to command the Regt and Challenger 2 11b (Col) and 22b (2ic).

All command Challenger 2 have an extra radio set and therefore an extra AE. This stands them out so in practice all Challenger 2 in the Regt should have 3 AE in place.