Sign in to follow this  
Agua

Could BIS please implement "peek around corner"?

First, all you rabid OpFP fans, I love the game so keep the leash on.

Second, all you folks out there who have played Ghost Recon, know how neat a command this is. For those of you who haven't played GR, this command allows you to stay behind a corner and peek around it with your head while your body remains protected behind the corner/bush/whatever. A very neat command, very useful command, and I really don't see where it would be that difficult to implement such a command, given the limited movement/action involved in leaning and turning the head: minimal animation.

If BIS reads these forums, then please consider implementing this feature.

Thanks, and great game BIS.

That would be a nice feature...you can sort of reproduce the effect by switching to 3rd person and swiveling your head to look around a corner...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Suchey on 5:41 pm on Dec. 27, 2001

That would be a nice feature...you can sort of reproduce the effect by switching to 3rd person and swiveling your head to look around a corner...<span id='postcolor'>

that's exactly how I do it, just switch to 3rd person!

I prefer the way Return to Castle Wolfenstein does it. When you peek, the enemy players cannot see your head looking around a corner, so you can remain hidden. But, to stop it being abused, you're not allowed to fire weapons while doing so. Its used only to observe your surroundings in reasonable safety of cover.

Hmmm.. well, just personally, I'd prefer it to be done the way GR does it. Your opponents can see you slip your head around (if they're looking, that is), but if they're not quick enough to pop you, they miss. In GR, if you're close enough to the corner, you can bend around and fire your weapon as well, of course, you're more exposed than with a simple "peek" of the head. Just seems more realistic this way than some rule where you can look around, you can't shoot, but your opponents can't see you peeking around. Just a personal preference.

I always look around corners with "disconnecting" my head from the body.

The way Solid Snake look around corners in MGS or MGS2 would look of course much better - but how often do you need to look around corners in OFP?

Leaning would be nice but in the infantry simulation Infiltration (an Unreal Tournament mod - http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration ) leaning is supported but I never used it - because aren`t 3D shooter complicated enough to handle with all the key functions since Doom? wink.gif

Deus Ex has a neat lean function that is useful for looking round corners, however it all depends on keyboard setup.

I used lean in Deus Ex because not too many keys were needed for other actions so I used my little finger for lean left and my thumb for lean right (with the other three fingers used for movement). However Flashpoint already has a lot of key commands so adding more probably isn't that comlicated.

Personally using third person (or even better command view if in charge of troops) feels a bit like cheating as looking around a corner and seeing your own body against a wall doesn't feel that real, but I guess the in ability to lean balances this out.

Well, "T/Y" aren't used for anything by the default mapping, in infantry play are they? Those would be pretty simple and convenient keys to map "peek left / peek right" functions to.

In response to animalica's question, personally, after using the "peek" command in Ghost Recon, yes, I find myself wishing I had it in OpFP all the time now. Anytime you're behind a wall, tree, log, whatever, it is very useful.

I dig, and appreciate, the comments you guys are making concerning the 3d person view, and yes, it is just as effective. However, it does sort of detract from the immersion experienced when playing in 1st person.

BTW, again, this is one fantastic game. I've rediscovered it by playing MP after putting it down a couple months ago following completion of the single player campaign/mission on the CD. There are a LOT of really, really good MP missions out there (and some crummy ones too). BTW, I would like to reccommend to any of you out there that you try Operation Husky, Operation Forager by a budding master known simply as LVOV. AFAIK, not available for download anywhere, but just ask the host if he has either of those.

Soldier of Fotune had this for PC, it was nice to use whan camping... guarding an entrance to you Flag base

for now I like 3rd person it works the same way, but you can't shoot

Swat 3 had a lean option of sorts which was useful. and you could fire when in it.

Agua, If this kind of change is easy to implement why don't you do it?

We have 3rd person view for this kind of stuff, i dont think your request is justified.

And there are more important things that I belive B.I.S should work on, Like the millions of bug fixes that need to be done.

(Edited by Unl33t at 8:18 pm on Dec. 28, 2001)

Should have known, there'd be one uncivil response, somewhere, no matter how sincerely polite the request. Good going Unl33t!

The reason I don't do it is: 1) I don't work for BIS; 2) I don't have a bloody clue HOW to do it. I stated that I didn't see that it would be that difficult to implement because it would involve minimal animations; specifically, 6 (left and right for prone, crouch and standing,) with a slight leaning of the upper body (as seen from 3d person view), and a mere command to move the view over about 18 inches and return it in first person view. Sorry you think the "demand is not justified" and that "[you] think BIS should have thier priorites in other places". Try reading my request again, or maybe for the first time: there was no "demand", it was a simple request.

(Edited by Agua at 7:18 am on Dec. 28, 2001)

I still don't think you know what's needed here and what you would dream to have.

Before B.I.S could should start adding little modifications and things to player movement they should have bugs out the way first.

Think about all the people who have problems or bugs with Operation Flashpoint that cripple their ability to play it.

I doubt they wan't to lean around corners or do things like that. Im sure they wan't the bugs to get fixed.

Bug fixing should take priority over crap like that, I feel a game should be playable before it's expandable.

If B.I.S got alot of the crashing bugs and things like that sorted out, Then they can go ahead and change player physics.

Because so far, Most official addons are just new units.

(Edited by Unl33t at 8:23 pm on Dec. 28, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Bernoulli on 8:38 pm on Dec. 28, 2001

Wouldn't the A.I. need some rework if this were implemented?

Peace,

Bernoulli<span id='postcolor'>

Most likely...

They would need more code to detect a player peeking around the corner too...

If they did not have code , a player could look around a corner and be invisible to people on the other side.

This is no minor addon Agua is "requesting"

I can see why many would like this to be possible. I wouldn't mind the ability myself. I always play in vet mode, but recently I turned off the aiming reticule and 3rd person view to make it as realistic as possible. Now I can no longer cheat when behind an object, and it is much more tense and gratifying. The only way to peek around is to go prone, and crawl until your head is far enough to peek. Then I use alt and mouse to swivel my head around and it works fine. The only drawback is immobility in this position, and not being able to shoot around the corner.

Konyak

Unl33t,

umm.. exactly what bugs?

I don't see any bad bugs...

AI coding - I do not know. It may or may not be needed. It is doubtful anyone other that BIS knows that. It would be the equivalent of enemy AI detecting a player lying on the ground at the edge of a building, except less noticable to the a/i.

If it is too big a thing to do, BIS simply won't do it for now (or ever). It's no more than a request that they implement it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Konyak on 2:14 pm on Dec. 28, 2001

I always play in vet mode, but recently I turned off the aiming reticule and 3rd person view to make it as realistic as possible.  Now I can no longer cheat when behind an object, and it is much more tense and gratifying.<span id='postcolor'>

Nice to see I am not the only one who understand why Vet mode with all options off is the best way playing OFP ;-)

But of course, those who play in cadet mode have their reasons. Vet mode works best for me anyway. Sometimes your heart is about to pop right out of your chest when you -know for sure- you heard something around that corner or over that hill, but what is it..

Hidden

The "lean" or "peak" animation got my vote too.

The soldier should be able to move its upper torso independant from his lower torso and legs....just being able to turn the head is not enough in all situations.

A.E. you layed an ambush in a city, it´s crucial you don´t get spotted to early- so your team does it´s best to conseal themselves in advantageous positions. But your team should also be able to commence firing from ambush positions anytime.....this is hardly possible with the virtual OFP soldier current abilities, as you can´t snap out of cover to fire some shots and then back in, you can´t move the upper torso.

Take a corner for example, there is no way to peek around it, or lay yourself properly in position, so that only your head is exposed...which is a fairly small target, hard to spot and hard to hit.

As it is now, you have to run/walk/crouch into a new position to commence firing, giving up on your current cover/ consealment completely, or you have to expose large parts or your whole body to the enemy to deliver some shots yourself, but you have never real cover or consealment while doing this.

My suggestion is that soldiers should be able to bend the upper torso to both sides 45°.

it would not need to be implimented to the AI. look at the crouch, it sure wasnt.

in addition, it wouldnt require 2 simple animations, i would require 6. one for standing, one for crouching and one for prone

How do you lean around a corner while prone? smile.gif If you are prone, all the leaning possible has already been done, and the only thing you can move is your head, and that is very VERY well acheived in OFP by holding down ALT.

Konyak

PS @ Hidden: Darn right, I can never go back to the visual aids smile.gif

In real life it´s as follows;

when you shoot an assault rifle while prone, the bore axis of the weapon is ca. 30° in relation to your body, means you don´t form a straight "line" as in OFP with the weapon. In OFP you turn or rotate your whole body and the weapon is at all times centered horizontaly 0°, aligned to your body orientation and axis.

This is where it comes to the problem, to shoot around a corner while prone, you have to expose your whole body, because you can´t turn your upper torso or weapon independant from the rest of your body.

Means you can´t shoot at 270° West when your body is orientated to 320° NW. Being able to turn the head is completely irrelevant here, because you can´t fire in the direction you are watching....and this after all is what i want.

The way it is now, it reminds me more of an breakdancer with a non flexible Steel backbone, spinning his whole body when lying prone, it looks really stupid also.

This is one of the most important issues for me, among multiplayer.

(Edited by Satchel at 3:20 am on Dec. 30, 2001)

If the ' peek ' move was added. Just have it operational if you're standing or kneeling and to be able to shoot whilst doing so.

It is possible to do a form of peeking with ofp already, using the ironsights like this:

peek1.jpg

Hiding behind a barrel... looks like this from the ironsight:

peek2.jpg

Clear shot, and he cant see you too well:

peek3.jpg

Of course, this only works right handed...