Sign in to follow this  
AirShark

WeaponSights (Half-Zoom) Overhaul

WeaponSights (Half-Zoom) Overhaul

This version of the mod limits the zoom of iron sights and Non magnified scopes to half when aiming. This compensate between realism and having better LOD textures in the distance with the addition of quick and ready CQB action. 

No Scarecrow was harmed in the making of this video. 

Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wOumpJiJ_CZDWylQjUbuMXIbp1QheDTm/view?usp=sharing

Another version without auto-zoom is in the optional folder.

Original Versions:

WeaponSights_Zoom Overhaul

WeaponSights No Zoom Overhaul

Credits:

-Gunter Severloh

-WheelAxle

• Like 2

Years in Arma3 i never thought of how better this could be. will try

Just tried it. is the ability to zoom with the zoom button disabled? i understand the intent of ADs'ing being reduced but the mod totally removes my ability to zoom in without weapon

Nice work AirShark, so you figured it out yourself, or you asked Axle for help?

Plan on doing a workshop version?

4 hours ago, redarmy said:

is the ability to zoom with the zoom button disabled?

It shouldn't be the version axle and i made dont do that, they are independent zooms, though the difference is our mods were full zoom, so it might be

that because this mod has a half of a full zoom that its effected.

He might have to add i think an event handler which idk how to do to have it where if the normal zoom is being used to basically disable or cancel the function of

the mod, or basically do an else type of function i guess.   Idk if Axle knows how to do this but AirShark could ask someone on the forums here for some help

to setup the function for a switch.

3 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

It shouldn't be the version axle and i made dont do that, they are independent zooms, though the difference is our mods were full zoom, so it might be

that because this mod has a half of a full zoom that its effected.

He might have to add i think an event handler which idk how to do to have it where if the normal zoom is being used to basically disable or cancel the function of

the mod, or basically do an else type of function i guess.   Idk if Axle knows how to do this but AirShark could ask someone on the forums here for some help

to setup the function for a switch.

yeah,and if its relavent it happens on KB and controller...something to bear in mind as creating something around the keys would also need to be considered in some caes

15 hours ago, redarmy said:

Just tried it. is the ability to zoom with the zoom button disabled? i understand the intent of ADs'ing being reduced but the mod totally removes my ability to zoom in without weapon

You mean been able to zoom in without weapon aim?
Yeah it is configed to be removed and in the other versions of this mod as well,

You know how to decompile right? Just remove this section in the main config to restore it

class CfgVehicles
{
	class Land;
	class Man: Land
	{
		class ViewPilot;
	};
	class CAManBase: Man
	{
		class ViewPilot: ViewPilot
		{
			minFov=0.75;
			maxFov=0.75;
			initFov=0.75;
		};
	};
	class Civilian: CAManBase
	{
	};
	class Civilian_F: Civilian
	{
	};
	class VirtualMan_F: Civilian_F
	{
		class ViewPilot
		{
			initFov=0.75;
			maxFov=0.75;
			minFov=0.75;
		};
	};
};

I personally dont like it. It makes other tools such as binoculars completely useless, and its quite cheating tbh. 

if you mean however not been able to zoom in with the weapon aimed, aka (auto-zoom). I added a version in the optional folder to restore the vanilla zoom while just limiting it to half.

10 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

For the NIArms compatibility, unfortunately i didnt. The NIArms config that i have added still doesnt work, i contacted Axle in the forum but he didnt read my PM.

There are just few exceptions in that weapon pack anyways, (M16s, ACRs, Brens and the minigun). The others do work, i assume because they inherit the classes directly from vanilla weapons. As for the steam workshop, i do have severe issues with steam itself, but you can add it yourself ofcourse.       

4 hours ago, AirShark said:

You mean been able to zoom in without weapon aim?
Yeah it is configed to be removed and in the other versions of this mod as well,

You know how to decompile right? Just remove this section in the main config to restore it

class CfgVehicles
{
	class Land;
	class Man: Land
	{
		class ViewPilot;
	};
	class CAManBase: Man
	{
		class ViewPilot: ViewPilot
		{
			minFov=0.75;
			maxFov=0.75;
			initFov=0.75;
		};
	};
	class Civilian: CAManBase
	{
	};
	class Civilian_F: Civilian
	{
	};
	class VirtualMan_F: Civilian_F
	{
		class ViewPilot
		{
			initFov=0.75;
			maxFov=0.75;
			minFov=0.75;
		};
	};
};

I personally dont like it. It makes other tools such as binoculars completely useless, and its quite cheating tbh. 

if you mean however not been able to zoom in with the weapon aimed, aka (auto-zoom). I added a version in the optional folder to restore the vanilla zoom while just limiting it to half.

For the NIArms compatibility, unfortunately i didnt. The NIArms config that i have added still doesnt work, i contacted Axle in the forum but he didnt read my PM.

There are just few exceptions in that weapon pack anyways, (M16s, ACRs, Brens and the minigun). The others do work, i assume because they inherit the classes directly from vanilla weapons. As for the steam workshop, i do have severe issues with steam itself, but you can add it yourself ofcourse.       

Thats a good point,about binocs etc. I remember a community video dyslexci put out once,mentioning the zoom,and he said,in Arma3 your "natural vision" is whats actually zoomed in though(minus the FOV ofcourse).

I think your not accounting however for helo gameplay,pilots need to have an ability to peek forward and spot ground targets,which without a zoom of some sort,is impossible.

Perhaps a version of the mod where its half weapon zoom,and half look zoom? Good middle ground and probably (i did anyway) what people would expect when first reading the description,definetly i think people dont expect a zoom feature to be removed. I personally got the mod because i wanted to see more of the weapon model when firing,i didnt like being couped up so tight towards the end of the barrel.

14 hours ago, redarmy said:

I think your not accounting however for helo gameplay,pilots need to have an ability to peek forward and spot ground targets,which without a zoom of some sort,is impossible.

Oh no, the zoom inside vehicles is not removed nor changed, that requires another config for vehicles. You can still zoom in fully with this version why flying a helo or driving any other vehicle really, as vehicle zoom is separated class from weapon zoom.

6 minutes ago, AirShark said:

Oh no, the zoom inside vehicles is not removed nor changed, that requires another config for vehicles. You can still zoom in fully with this version why flying a helo or driving any other vehicle really, as vehicle zoom is separated class from weapon zoom.

are you sure? the zoom as a pilot is the same key as zoom as infantry/passenger in vehicle. i think its under key "temporary zoom"

8 hours ago, redarmy said:

are you sure? the zoom as a pilot is the same key as zoom as infantry/passenger in vehicle. i think its under key "temporary zoom"

Ofcourse, this has nothing to do with the key, it has to do with the parameters of the classes in the config. Vehicles have separated enteries, ViewPilot, ViewOptics and ViewCargo each has its own fov zoom values and for each vehicle class. As i said this would require another config for vehicles. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AirShark said:

Ofcourse, this has nothing to do with the key, it has to do with the parameters of the classes in the config. Vehicles have separated enteries, ViewPilot, ViewOptics and ViewCargo each has its own fov zoom values and for each vehicle class. As i said this would require another config for vehicles. 

oh cool i had no idea about this. So view pilot can be influenced by scripting,that gives me some neat ideas.