Sign in to follow this  
Rifleman

Shadow lod question

is there a way to make the lod that is used for the shadow not appear as a distance lod but will still show the shadow?

Just make it a high number Res LOD.....like 12.000. That will never be seen...but if all other Res LOD's have the name property LODNoShadow=1 then it's shadow will smile_o.gif

Thought I should put a reply to this since my previous answer was wrong.

A ResLOD of 12.000 might well be seen. It depends on quite a few factors, including your game settings, the size of the object, and the amount of complexity that the game is trying to render.

The last one might be wrong, but it seems to me that the more the game is trying to think about, the further "forwards" it pushes the Res LODs. For example, if I put a very large (say 40x40x30m object, 1500+faces on first LOD) through the mission editor on a flat map, by itself...no problems. I won't see a 12.000 LOD, or at least I won't really be able to tell as it's so far away (soldier view). But if I have the same object repeated a few times, plus quite a lot of other large objects, just added into the editor, I can see the 12.000 LOD at a much closer distance, or so it would appear to me  rock.gif

Anyway the whole thing about 12.000 being a good limit was wrong, at least for large buildings (ie Agent Smith's big stuff). Personally I would say that an LOD around 22.000 is still just visable (for objects that are still small enough to have a working Geo LOD)...but that's my settings.... smile_o.gif

Edit:

Whoops! And to answer the question above a bit more clearly....I've been using 70.000+ LOD's to do what you talked about.

Perhaps you need to add a few more LODs before you get to your shadow LOD.

The T72 from the demo has a large number that can be shown before the shadow LOD <300 faces. There are even 2 more LODs after the shadow LOD 130 and 70 faces.

Try making a LOD around 500 / 600 and see if that makes things better.

Thx Scouse....but I wasn't having problems....it was just something I noticed. The point wasn't the number of LODs, but the numbers of the LODs wink_o.gif

Huge object:

LOD's 1.000, 1.500, 2.500, 5.000, 7.000, 9.000, 12.000 = BAD

LOD's 3.000, 9.000, 12.000, 18.000, 27.000, 38.000, 48.000 = GOOD

At least that's as far as I can tell... rock.gif

Hmm thats something i think I will play with.

I have made a few small buildings and just used the same numbers as on my tanks.

It has never occurred to me to change the LOD numbers.

I think Ill make a 2 buildings with 5 LODs each. Ill texture each LOD in a different colour and see what happends as I look via a helicopter.

Before this assigning LOD numbers has been a little random.

OK, 2 spheres A and B

They are identical and have 5 LODs

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

LOD     Faces     Lod A     Lod B

1         2500         0.0         0.50

2         1225         1.00         5.0

3          625         1.50         10.0

4          225         2.25         40.0

5           64         3.75         70.0

Here are some results

lodtest_result1.jpg

lodtest_result2.jpg

lodtest_result3.jpg

Making the LOD numbers huge means that they are never really shown and the model ends up being shown in greater detail than necessary IMHO.

smile_o.gif

i have a soldier model with two lods set at .15 and .35 and one set at 20 for shadowing purposes. the lod set at 20 did not have any textures as it was not meant to be shown. however, on a mission where a convoy approaches the group of soldiers, they all appear white, apparently using the lod that was set at 20. i am sure that i was less than 20 kilometers away from the soldiers as the viewdistance settings were at default. anyone know why this is happening?

20.000 doesn't equal 20km wink_o.gif It has a lot to do with the performance of your PC. OFP does a lot of real-time LOD scaling....it will pop to different LODs due to load. Were you seeing the 20.000 LOD up close as well, or just from a distance?

Anyway, where exactly OFP decides to go from the .35 to the 20.000 is not an exact science. Two easy solutions. Just texture up the 20.000 LOD. Or make an additional LOD with a value like 5.000. Finding the right values for LOD's often involves a little bit of trial and error.....so just consider this some of your testing smile_o.gif

after some testing,i found that the soldiers are still white at very close distances even though i added a 5.00 and 9.00 lod (they were textured). do u know what games settings i could change so that the computer always uses detailed lods?

Sure you have the texture paths correct? Anyway, pump your in-game Options>VideoOptions>VisualQuality up to 11. Also just place you and the units on Desert island. That should then display the highest detail LOD.

first thing.. Make all lods good!!

The "this will be for shadow, i just put a big green texture on it nobdy can see the diffrence at this distanc".. well with a low cpu and a high cpu demanding map people will see it..

my idea then is to make lod like:

lod 2.000 (no shadow)

lod 2.00001 (shadow one)

lod 2.00002