Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Paa & pac compression woes

Jackal326's advice is to convert from BMP format to get clear textures.

Rifleman says that switching RGB to Indexed Color works for him.. I'll ask him what format that was.

If you have a compression tip, please post it here!

Here are some compression data for those going into texturing.

Image size           File/Hardisk size     Memory size

1024 X 512 tga image =    1,537,000b    2,037,000b

1024 X 512 jpg image =     245,000 b      2,037,000b

1024 X 512 paa image =    342,000b          342,000b

512 X 256 tga image =      393,234 b       525,288b

512 X 256 jpg image =        94,666 b         525,288b

512 X 256 paa image =       86,000kb            86,000b

256 X 128 jpg image =      31,787b           132,072b

256 X 128 paa image =     22,000b             22,000b

Definations of terms:-

b = bytes, blocks of information. In an image, 1b holds the position and colour.

Harddisk size = size of file on your computer harddisk

memory size = size the video card's ram need to spare to display your pic on the computer, be it in a programme or ingame.

The lesser the bytes = less clearer image as compression alogarithms will pick the closest colors and blend it to a single color, meaning if u have different shades of grey in an area, it will compress those shades into one grey shade, or eg, if u have a thin black line within a grey area across a pic, compression will 'guess' that line as grey and give it a grey color, thus making your line disappear.

The more bytes = clearer pics, close to the original, with little blending of colors but your video ram will have to spare more space to display your pic, making it possible only to display a few pics at a time or not showing up at all or lag as the processor is bogged down with too much bytes to read and access.

The user/addon maker must decide on their own what is best, but the best and hope is that Nvida or Ati will make better  ram chips ( if they can figure out how to cool down those frying pan hot ram chips). If that is possible, i am sure BIS would use mainstream TGA compression as it will make OFP in terms of graphics comparable to the much favorite beach vollyball game featuring lucious babes in skimpy wear playing vollyball.

Information from BIS on *.pac/paa images:

PAA/PAC ( 12 bit RGB + 4 bit alpha channer / 8 bit grayscale + 8 bit alpha channel / 16 bit DTX DirectX compressed texture format with optional 1 bit alpha channel)

now I wonder if it is possible to create a kind of color table for graphic programs that only uses the colors that are available in pac/paa. I think it would help very much if you can be sure that it won't screw up the color completly when you convert it.

now I wonder if it is possible to create a kind of color table for graphic programs that only uses the colors that are available in pac/paa. I think it would help very much if you can be sure that it won't screw up the color completly when you convert it.

I tried.....it didn't work very well. I suspect you would have to get exactly the right colour, otherwise it will screw it. I tried all sorts of things, but found the best way was to use tga's, don't try and blend colours that are too different from each other (ie red blending to green), and use sharp edges between different colours where possible.

Oh and re-open the paa or pac file in Texview once you've made it because those annoying texture glitches don't always appear first time. Grrrrr. rock.gifcrazy_o.gif

now I wonder if it is possible to create a kind of color table for graphic programs that only uses the colors that are available in pac/paa.

No, since the PAA/PAC is not an indexed color format (it does not have a palette) but an RGB(A) format. The artifacts it has come from the DXTC compression it uses, which, from what I know, is a bit like JPEG compression, dividing the whole image into smaller cells to which certain limitations apply on what it can contain.

I've had success with adding some noise to the original TGA. During the conversion to PAC/PAA, a light noise pattern helps break up the artifacts. Photoshops "artistic> film grain" works nicely if you subdue it.

Also, use monstrous image dimensions, that helps. tounge_o.gif