Sign in to follow this  
cooked auto

[Solved] Gunner, HEAT, PC! Or, tank mission in need of improvements

So I'm working on a Cold War era tank mission, very basic stuff with a US platoon breaching through a Soviet frontline.

However, a trial run of the mission revealed that there are a pair of glaring issues. At first I wanted to abandon the thing, but I'm also very stubborn so I'm asking for advice here.

The first issue is that I need a full repair script or function that works with a moving vehicle, as the mission has an AI support convoy tagging behind the tanks. Doing ACE repair, even with boosted settings, is a came of hunting for interaction points, so I'd rather just have an ACE interact point on the repair truck that allows you to fully repair a nearby vehicle. Similar with how rearming works, unless there's something I've missed in the ACE settings themselves that someone could inform me of.

Nevermind, just noticed the ACE settings were set to Repair Facility and Advanced Engineer for the mission. I'm dumb.

Although, something similar for a full heal tied to an ambulance vehicle would be good.

The second issue is that the trial run revealed I had put down way, way too much AI on the mission and that had a very adverse effect on performance. To the point things started flickering badly for players (and myself) at random. I had set up Dynamic simulation for the units, however the only way it wanted to work properly was if I used the module, instead of the performance options so I must've done something wrong from what I can tell.
So instead what I want to do is having tanks and IFV's spawn a distance away and come at the players, combined with some static defences.

I have one basic script that spawns in AI, and making them move towards a marker waypoint, or use a LAMBS module:

_grp1 = [getMarkerPos "testSpawn", east, ["O_Soldier_SL_F", "O_Soldier_F","O_Soldier_F","O_Soldier_F","O_Soldier_F","O_Soldier_AR_F"],0] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup; 

_wpt1 = _grp1 addWaypoint [getMarkerPos "testMove",5]; 
_wpt1 setWaypointType "MOVE";

The problem is that, while it's really handy it only works with infantry. Most likely due to how closely they spawn, as whenever I tried using it with vehicles it usually ended up with them signing up for the space program so to speak.

So I'm looking for some alternative that let's me spawn in a platoon of tanks and have them head towards the players.
Especially as a whole unit, as I've noticed that tank platoons can be slow to get moving and usually drip feed themselves into the action. But that could also be LAMBS for all I know, and probably something I need to check closer at some point.

8 hours ago, cooked auto said:

usually ended up with them signing up for the space program 

They are spawning at the exact same position.

Here's the full parameters for BIS_fnc_spawnGroup:

[position, side, toSpawn, relPositions, ranks, skillRange, ammoRange, randomControls, azimuth, precisePos, maxVehicles] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup

Try setting the precisePos to false, check the wiki for what the other parameters expect.

Well that confirms my suspicions then, just wasn't sure how to correct it.

Although, that line is the only thing being called in a trigger and not an external script. How would I go ahead to change precisePos?

2 hours ago, cooked auto said:

Although, that line is the only thing being called in a trigger and not an external script. How would I go ahead to change precisePos?

Not sure what you mean. You should just need to change the parameter-list (inside the [ ]) by changing/adding the extra parameters in your trigger's On Act code.

Ofc you need to know what to change it to, for that you can check this link for reference.

If you need more help show your existing code/setup.

Ah okay, looking closer at the examples I know what you're talking about. I looked the wiki page earlier, but missed that the last example follows the same syntax as the code I was using.

So what's the best way to make AI riflemen shoot a tank with their rifles?

As there's going to be some bunkers and such on the mission, I'm wondering if there's a way to make them open fire on the tanks despite not having any AT. Mostly so they don't look idle when they inevitably get machine gunned.

Would that be an invisible target attached to the vehicle to make them target it, or is there a way with event handlers that I'm not aware of?