Sign in to follow this  
suchey

Sounds in addons

When using custom sounds in an addon, what is the best format to use in regard to least demanding performance wise?

wss

ogg

wav

Is there enough difference between any of these formats to even be concerned about it?

From the research Zayford has done for the ECP Project, I can say this:

DON'T use *.ogg, the game engine takes a long time to decompress and process this type of file, and it becomes clipped, warped, and quite often not played at all...

*.wav is ok, it provides reliable results, but not great filesize.

and *.wss is the best, it provides clear sound, that rarely warps (unless you really are in the thick of it) and it provides a reasonable filesize too.

So I'd suggest using *.wss wink_o.gif

Thanks deadmeat...

question #2...

Im having issues with the wss converting tool...it seems that it runs in an infinite loop...the output wss file simply gets bigger and bigger in an never ending loop. I tried both the old command line program and the windows interfaced one available from the Avon Ladys site as well, but had the same results. Anyone else had this issue and been able to solve it?

Thanks deadmeat...

question #2...

Im having issues with the wss converting tool...it seems that it runs in an infinite loop...the output wss file simply gets bigger and bigger in an never ending loop.  I tried  both the old command line program and the windows interfaced one available from the Avon Ladys site as well, but had the same results.  Anyone else had this issue and been able to solve it?

I've had this many times. It means that the .wav file is either not in the very specific format that wss converter requires(sampling rate, mono/stereo, bits) or the .wav file is damaged/corrupted (rare)

You can use windows 'sound recorder' to change the format by clicking 'properties'.

By memory it's 16bit, mono, 22,050 kHz but I can't be sure

Thank you! It was actually a 'truncated' wav file...I have it all worked out now...thanks for the help guys!

Quote[/b] ]By memory it's 16bit, mono, 22,050 kHz but I can't be sure

I tried WSSEncoder, and I remember it will not encode any wav file unless its attributes are 44 kHz, 16bits, mono

By the way, .WSS encode didn't compress wav, size remain the same (maybe another encoder soft has been released since last time I tried?)