Sign in to follow this  
Sole

Texture problem

I know this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the correct thread about it anymore.... so here it goes:

I keep getting a very anoying grain/noise on my textures whenever I convert them to PAC/PAA... this happens when I use GIF (I tried all different saving methods, I think) and TGA textures.. comp.gif

Thanks in advance for help.. smile_o.gif

Why do you think some guys uses jpg's they don't have that noise PAC and PAA always adds noise to the texture.

don't know why

STGN

I know JPEG has no noise, I used it myself in my F2000 add-on, but JPEG also requires more cpu power... plus, some people (like Marfy and AKM74) apear to have no quality loss in their PAC/PAA files... crazy_o.gif

I know JPEG has no noise, I used it myself in my F2000 add-on, but JPEG also requires more cpu power... plus, some people (like Marfy and AKM74) apear to have no quality loss in their PAC/PAA files... crazy_o.gif

I don't have eny of there addons but I am prity sure they have.

Maby it is hard to see.

STGN

Was it kegetys that recommended to use jpg for the first, closest LOD, and then pac files for the others? Atleast then a player without big specs would run the addon fine..

Was it kegetys that recommended to use jpg for the first, closest LOD, and then pac files for the others?

Certainly not, doing that would be worse than just using a jpg texture everywhere, which is not recommended anyway.

"Scratches:

This step is very important! I create special layer containing scratch pattern in order to improve texture appearance after it is converted into 256-colours palette. The solid surface structure is visually „disintegrated“ – this will add some realism to your addons as well as prevent creation of ugly effects that often occur after the palette conversion. This layer intensity should be very fine, otherwise you get everything else except the realistic surface effect smile_o.gif"

- A tutorial by Marfy

see here: http://www.volny.cz/marfyart/desertofp/tutorial_02engl.htm

Adding the "scratches" to the textures will make the compression if the pac/paa look much better. smile_o.gif

yeah, I'm following his tutorials to increase my crap texturing abilities a bit, altho I suck at making a good looking scratch pattern crazy_o.gif

So I havent been able to try and convert a 'scratched' to PAA/PAC yet rock.gif

this might be a stupid question but how and what do i need to make textures. Which programs do i need to download etc. sad_o.gif