Sign in to follow this  
Cypher2004

Realism

I am making a mission, but ii want it to look realistic. Anybody have any tips/info/examples of detail like Empty/Objects and where they wud be placed???

Screenshots may also help!

Thanks

This is something i also have real trouble with. designing a realistic mission and where to draw the line.

War Films, Documentarys Archive Footage etc..

Band Of Brothers Miniserise is also good for this.

sometimes think I try and go too far with realisum. I think like ok how would you realistically defend this town why would you put a MG Here. why would ther be people walking here. what is the point in that etc... then if I do decide on where to place people I dont have them just thrown in. I would maby have some sitting round a fire or in the back of a truck. maby chatting to one another maby walk off in to a bush for the toilet etc...

Then if you get that done you must design alarms. i mean if the enemy sees a guy would he just shoot him or run back to base to tell others. then again he may shoutalaram and everyone wil rush to there tanks. etc..

This may be why i have never actually completed a mission yet.i start them but ussaly end up restarting from scratch again.

Thats also one problem i have as well. I always restart missions. I have a great idea (well, i think i do anyway) for a SP mission. I do the Intros, mostly complete them, then cant be bothered with a mission or dont do one because it may spoil the intro (sounds sad i know) sad_o.gif

I sit thinking, wud u put a barrel there? wud u have a machine gun in the up or down stairs window? wot can the soldiers be doing? sitting? talking? i need a complete list of all the animations for soldiers as well so if anyone knows a site, please post it here.

Thanks!

Hmmmm I am no expert but I usually design the mission first and do it like Azz says, basicly all is linked to common sense, and then after I'm done, I do an intro and cutscenes because they must complement the actual mission, not the other way around. Also do some research, like say go to USMC website (the actual govt website) and I am sure they got some nice info. Or I know there is a website which has like detailed descriptions of tactics that different nations use. I remember I saw it somewhere but seem to have misplaced the link...

One way is to imagine what people do....people eat, drink, sleep, go to the toilet, throw out garbage etc etc. It's the small little day-today items that actually make things look "realistic"....the sort of thing we tend not to notice because they're always there. smile_o.gif

A good briefing will help your mission look more realistic, there is a good tutorial at the OFPEC on this.

RED

Another thing that I think is very important when trying to achieve realism in OFP missions is to focus on realistic unit compositions. Try finding some ORBATs and place units according to them. Not that I'm trying to fit a battalion into a little OFP town, but a platoon, for example. I also create minefields guarded by AT soldiers, choose the best places for MGs and so on ...

Hi all

Try making use of the US Army Field Manuals

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/atdls.htm

The ONESAF datbase

http://www.onesaf.org/

FAS

http://www.fas.org/

There is some ORBAT info here

http://www.orbat.com/

If you are willing to make missions for the CoC we are looking for mission makers to do some small (for normal OFP read Large) Command Engine missions of the platoon to company level.

We can supply you with real mission stats objectives and oposing force data.

If you are interested pm or email me

Kind Regards Walker

Ok...I have a mission, and outro and intro. The one problem is i need objects and vehicles in a compound.

where wud barrels go? where wud the officer park his UAZ? where wud the tanks be? wot about patrols if there are any? wud there be tents or wud they use the barracks? wud they have MG's on the entrances?

Need help!!!

Well, what I learned in the army is that tents and vehicles are always placed 50 meters apart, not in neat lines like in OFP. Tent doors face the opposite side of the presumed direction towards enemy. Vehicles would probably be camouflaged. If the compound has a gate, there would be a guard there. A few soldiers checking ID cards etc. + a heavy weapon as a "stopper" about 50 meters behind the gate, for example a HMG or a sniper + a soldier with an AT weapon. There also would probably be a patrol walking around the compound every now and then. You could also have a group of soldiers ready to reinforce any part of the compound.

ok, my mission is u r a special op and u parachute near the biggest base on the island beginning with K (not even going to bother with the name) u need to sneak in, eliminate the russians in the base, radio reinforcements and hold the base when they get there from a counter attack from the sea.

where wud things be placed? tanks? UAZ's? patrols?

wud the patrols cover sections or the parimeter? wud the HMG go on the road or 2 one side? wot type of fencing wud they use? or wudnt they use any?

Well, you could have a scenario that the Russians have seen the aircraft that dropped you on radar and send a patrol to check out if any troops have been deployed.

I usually place the vehicles under trees or camouflage nets.

About the patrols, if there is a wall around the base (there wouldn't be a base if it is only a temporary encampment), there would be a patrol walking around the perimeter, but also guards in every corner of the base.

The HMG and AT launcher would be concealed on either side of the road.

ok. wud the patrol go in a UAZ or Ural or on foot? how many wud walk the parimeter as i doubt it will be just one, but i dont wanna flood the way in and out with commies. there is the tall rusty iron looking fence, but wud they have an outer parimeter fence as well or not both?

Quote[/b] ]ok. wud the patrol go in a UAZ or Ural or on foot?

Well thats really common sence. if they suspect the guy is dropped in some woods. the UAZ/URAL would have trouble driving around in them so they would drive to the edge of the wood and then probably get out and walk ? which would be a cool cause then your BlackOp could get some transport.

as dropping him right next to the base is a bad idea would mess up your alarms and such I would suppose.

I would assume a blackop would be inserted at night on a mission like you describe, far away from the base

So possibly thats an idea for a intro. have the night insertation and then it transferring to morning and the troops getting out of UAZ to come look for you.. ? I dont know really, im just rambiling on. ;c)

Quote[/b] ]how many wud walk the parimeter as i doubt it will be just one

True, unless there was someone noone else liked and they wanted him killed ;c) 2 - 3 would be a good i think. but im no expert this is just my oppinion.

Quote[/b] ]there is the tall rusty iron looking fence, but wud they have an outer parimeter fence as well or not both?

Well im going to assume here you are making the mission on West-Kolgujev there is a big fence right the way across the island with towers for gaurds. and at the gap where the road crosses a gas station.

in that case i would place probably, gaurds in thoes watch towers and a MG at the gate with a couple guys then inside this perimiter your main base would be. there is a base in there with a wall around it already im not sure, but i guess you should put some form of gaurds there too.

I agree that 2-3 soldiers walking around the perimeter is a good amount. It is true that sometimes you have to sacrifice realism in order to keep the mission playable ;)

Maybe you should stick with only one fence ... placing extra walls in OFP takes too much time, and extra objects might slow down the game on slower computers.

Azz [GUN] has the base im using to a tee! he he! your good man!

ok, so a group of three soldiers looping the base...wud it be the three in a group, wud they alone then 50 yards behind another patrol the 50 behind him or in a group?

ok, no secondary fence, although i love the look of them spikey hedgehog things with barbed wire... ah well. UAZ to the woods then they get out. fair enough.

i was having the intro as a spec ops is briefed then climbs into a chopper and takes off, then the mission starts and u jump out and para down into a forest. then a cut scene with the commies looking for u, etc etc.

wot u think? yay or nay?

Quote[/b] ]ok, so a group of three soldiers looping the base...wud it be the three in a group, wud they alone then 50 yards behind another patrol the 50 behind him or in a group?

You dont have, to listen to me. this just what I would probably do...for the main outer fence probably 3 men in a group patroling it backwards and fourth. and to add some thing else make when they get to the gate around when you think your player will get there, let's say 10 minutes in. i would have the patrols switch with another group and the offgoing patrol head back to barracks. just to make it more interesting. and a new group take over patrolling.

Quote[/b] ]ok, no secondary fence, although i love the look of them spikey hedgehog things with barbed wire... ah well. UAZ to the woods then they get out. fair enough.

The things you describe is a AT Barrier I

as for the UAZ yeah, id have them drive up the road. and probably park next to a burn out house. have 1 guy stay with the UAZ and the rest check the house out then head over to the woods. but thats just 1 idea. they could send up a chopper just to snoop around. then if the chopper sees anything they send out a truck and a squad. afterall whats the point in wasting men looking for someone that "Might Be There"

Quote[/b] ]i was having the intro as a spec ops is briefed then climbs into a chopper and takes off, then the mission starts and u jump out and para down into a forest. then a cut scene with the commies looking for u, etc etc.

Sound good to me.

im thinking of chucking the idea completely.....nah, only messing! ill try and make it with no addon units so ppl (like myself) with the first OFP sad_o.gif can play it as well as the guys with all the downloadable addons from the net.( jammy gits!!!)!

I had an idea of like a road block on the main 2 ways out of the base (as the third stops then hits the sea). with like a UAZ parked over the road and 2 or 3 guards on it, maybe an AT soldier as well. Yay or nay?

P.S. Im listening to everyones ideas otherwise i wudnt have posted in a public forum wud i! tounge_o.giftounge_o.giftounge_o.gif

I have designed a road block involving a parked UAZ across the road, the small fortress with a HMG, an AT soldier and some AT barriers. As the mission will be based during the night, i will have a lit fire and a tent.

shud i put destroyed M113's and jeeps on the way to the road block or leave it? any more objects i mite need to make the road block come to life???

If the site has seen heavy fighting in the recent past, (in your scenario), put in vehicle wrecks etc.

Only really badly trained armies light fires at night. Its one thing that really annoys me in missions. Just because you see americans doing it in baghdad doesn't mean professional soldiers do it. Its a bad idea because

a) destroys your night vision

b) gives away your position

c) leaves sign on the ground.

well, its a large russian base that is well defended.

i was going to have a fire so it looks realistic and gives the mission an atmosphere otherwise u run around in total darkness and shoot ppl, it gets boring!

ok, i have a guy patrolling back and forth over the roadblock. is there anyway i can loop the waypoints so i dont need to put in about 80+ waypoints moving him back and forth???

Yes, after you have placed move waypoints around the perimeter along the route planned for your patrol, make the last waypoint cycle, and they will happily go round and round and round and round smile_o.gif