Sign in to follow this  
Devil

Memory allocation

Is it possible to allocate some of my RAM to be used as video memory?

RAM: 256mb PC2700 Kingston (1 stick)

VIDEO: ATI Xpert 98

Not exactly. The computer can use system RAM to buffer textures, but it cannot increase the amount of memory available for screen buffers on the card itself.

PS: Welcome back! The other thread got locked, so I never had an opportunity to say "Hi!".

You can buy old video memory pretty cheap, not easy to get hold of if I remember correctly smile.gif It is probably worth spending your money on a new card.

Long time no see Devil, welcome back.

RED

What would you do with the memory you buy? There is no way to put it on the card. wow.gif

Well some cards did have a means to install more video memory, not sure about that specific model.

I changed the aperature size in my BIOS setup from 64MB to 128MB, will that change much?

It's a video card with 8MB of memory, and no way to add any.

321_Sm_1_Xpert98.jpg

The AGP Aperture size controls the amount of memory set aside for buffering textures. Increasing this from 64MB to 128MB for a card with a total of 8MB of memory makes no sense to me.

Solution: buy a new card. sad.gif I feel your pain Devil, I had onboard video till last summer when I got an ATI Radeon 7500 and now even that's becoming obsolete.

Yes ... well. I had a pretty good 32MB card that was AGP 2.0, but when I upgraded my computer month ago to AMD XP 2100 with an ASUS A7V8X, my AGP card wouldn't fit in the AGP slot on the motherboard, so I was forced to use the backup card, on which I'm still on. And I really don't have 300+ dollars lying around for a new card, although I would like a Radeon 9800 PRO smile.gifsmile.gif

What was the problem with the AGP card and the new motherboard? Did it physically not fit due to the card's length, or was the connector the problem?

If it was the connector, it's to protect you from using an old 3.3V card in a 1.5V slot.

If the card's length is a problem, you may just want to get a new case to create more room. That would be cheaper than a new video card, and a case doesn't become obsolete nearly as fast as a video card. wink.gif

No it's the connector. It's reversed.

MB: |_|_|_|

Anyone want to buy an ATI Rage Fury Pro? confused.gif