Sign in to follow this  
PitViper

Best os for ofpr?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (toadlife @ 05 May 2003,07:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr B @ 03 May 2003,07:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WinXP seems like too much eyecandy to me. 98SE is pretty stable (if managed correctly), and best of all, it's cheap and runs on my 500mhz system.<span id='postcolor'>

For a 500mhz system, you wouldnt want to run winxp, but Win2k pro would run quite well.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I thought of that, but some of my games other than OFP (it's been awhile since I acknowledged I had other games wow.giftounge.gif ) have compatibility problems, and I wanted something easy to use.

Oh, and when you convert the Amazon prices to AUD, they still come out expensive wink.gif .

Cheers

Mr B

XP SP1, latest drivers for everything and with 1GB RAM

(@200MHz) swapfile DISabled...good, stable, finally *smooth*, no crashes.

(That is: non-stop plays for night;..task-switching..even loads of other tasks working in backround. Of course it's best to have nothing in parallel while gaming, but you know..)

OFP_RES:1.91 with Dynamic Range soundaddon and sh**loads of other addons. smile.gif

'98 before crapped out with too many addons;..but that is by far not the only reason to GO for something *but* '98/ME

wink.gif

swapfile enabled=brief stutter. annoying really.

just 2 cent..

I'm running Me and like it. XP scares me. Its so "heavy" and loaded down. It takes so much RAM. I wish MS would get an os right for once. wink.gif I'm happy. My sister had Win98se and it was good also. I'm getting a Radeon98, around 512mb to 700mb more RAM, and dsl sometime in the Fall [i hope]. smile.gif

xp is great for ofp on a same computer with 98 i had crashes when playin' ofp and on xp it was running perfect with better performance

DO you guys think win2k will work fine on my p3 733mhz 512mb ram gf2mx 32mb system. currently using win98 and getting pissed of every time i get memory map errors.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eisa01 @ 07 May 2003,19:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">DO you guys think win2k will work fine on my p3 733mhz 512mb ram gf2mx 32mb system. currently using win98 and getting pissed of every time i get memory map errors.<span id='postcolor'>

yes. i have similar system and OFP worls fine with W2K. for memory map errors, try erasing some addons.

thx! i know about that erasing addons fix but if ive just turned the computer on it works fine. But if ive been doing lots of stuff on it before beginning to play i usually get memory map errors. Cant wait to play with win2k biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RMATICH @ 07 May 2003,00:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wish MS would get an os right for once. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

They got it right with Windows 2000...aside from the bloat you are afraid of, XP is good too.

Here's what I did for OFP... (I'd like to hear what some others have done strictly in the name of OFP)

Purchased second Hard-Drive (40gb cuz they are cheap) for my:

p4 1.6 ghz 512mb system w/ Geforce 4

proceeded to disconnect previous hard drive (necessary in this process)

then Boot XP Pro on new HD (I love being a college student: cost for license=$35 US)...

remove any erraneous garbage and unused services(damn MSN crap   crazy.gif )

install all necessary drivers and required progs (such as TS or other voice prog) all the while keeping to ABSOLUTE minimum.

disconnect new drive and reconnect BOTH drives according to speed considerations...

whenever I wish to play OFP:

I utilize my Mainboards boot device selection screen on boot up and choose the OFP drive (most mainboards now allow a key to be pressed on bootup and you can scroll your preferred boot device or something similar)

all this=NOTHING BUT OFP, BABY!

and to return, I just boot to old drive (set as default drive)

it's nice too, because the new drive boots up in 10-15secs!!

WHOO HOO!

biggrin.gif

Edit: Of course this can be done with ANY OS so now I realize that my post was perhaps...um... irrelevent?