Sign in to follow this  
Poet

Sweet tooth - 4 co-op missions ( w.bas addons )

Thanks for the invite! I'll drop by. smile.gif

3 is getting a major overhaul. I decided it has to be the way I used createunit.

Its a shame, cause as it is, its by far the best of the missions.

I chucked in a little bit of everything, and made it hard as hell too.

Working my best ATM to keep its Spirit alive! tounge.gif

New version :

http://quake3.barrysworld.net/poet/Sweet_Tooth.zip

This should be the final, could find no problems going through SP and have removed all offending code.

Changes :

- Removed BAS Chinook sad.gif to prevent Linux server issues sad.gif .

- Removed CreateUnit command from Mission3 ( without to large a sacrifice to Enemy numbers smile.gif )

- Added daddldiddl's ViewDistance Negotiation script ( no, Im not too sure exactly what it does either wink.gif looks nice though tounge.gif )

Thanks to all for the cool feedback.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Poet @ 15 May 2003,22:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- Added daddldiddl's ViewDistance Negotiation script ( no, Im not too sure exactly what it does either  wink.gif  looks nice though  tounge.gif  ) [/b]<span id='postcolor'>

What is does is asks all the Clients connected their Flashpoint CPU benchmark figure and adjusts the view distance. So if all clients have 2Ghz machine the view distance is about 2000M, instead of the default 900M. yet it if a 700Mhz Client connects the view distance will be 1000M.

The min/max and the Ratio to CPU benchmark are adjustable in the script, and there are view-distance options in the MP lobby.

OK Fantastic, we got a good team together and had a go at 4 properly. We Killed the guards first, then the patrol and Spetz as he was leaving in the UAZ. Then we called in the Big guns and watched the impressive fireworks wink.gif so many explosions that after 2-3 minutes the server crashed wink.gif

3 Still wont load on my server - you put MP Slots in it confused.gifwink.gif

Thanks for the View Distance Script.

Thanks again Skunk Monkey.

Mission3 - had a look through the .sqm and it was still listing the removed MH47. Now manually removed.

What do you mean "you put MP slots in it :/ "

Mission4 - feared that would happen, but its hard to find a balance between what my machine would take and what runs well on a server, easy to fix, I'll just reduce some arty and a few less objects.

Did the Firedrop work though? ( were any vehicles on fire after being blown up? )

Thanks again.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Poet @ 16 May 2003,08:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mission3 - had a look through the .sqm and it was still listing the removed MH47. Now manually removed.<span id='postcolor'>

Lets Hope it works then wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What do you mean "you put MP slots in it :/ "

<span id='postcolor'>

Was a Joke tounge.gif Meaning have you made 12 slots "playable"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mission4 - feared that would happen, but its hard to find a balance between what my machine would take and what runs well on a server, easy to fix, I'll just reduce some arty and a few less objects.

<span id='postcolor'>

Remember Dedicated servers and Clients work differently some scripts shouldnt be executed on the Client, the fireworks went on that long that maybe the script was executed on the Clients and server ??

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did the Firedrop work though? ( were any vehicles on fire after being blown up? )<span id='postcolor'>

Oh yes, Building levelled and fire out of the doors of hangers, buildings and anything else that was left.

You should come and try them on the dedicated server.

I'll Download the updates now

Poet: convoy cream worked as beta5, but not the last version. "bis_resistance" was missing in the addon section of the mission.sqm. After fixing that the mission worked...

Just been Beta Testing these on our Server With Poet - Thanks M8.

He fixed mission 3 so it doesnt use the BAS Chinook and it worked a treat, great mission.

We Completed 4 and it didnt crash the server, still an error on the artillary, it is executed by the clients so (with 5 people playing) the artillary was 5X the correct amount - lol, the server kept above 45FPS throughout and didnt crash. Good job we wernt a full team of 12 wink.gif

I advise you all to get this 4-mission pack once its final - really good enjoyable missions.

(And with my Favourite 2 scripts - Spectator and Auto-View-Diatance)

Twas great fun! Thanks. smile.gif

Mission 3 can now be made even more evil, now the cause of the problems has been removed ( though not happy you know where my favourite sniper is tounge.gif, at least he had us pinned down for a while - that viewdistance script is a wonder! ).

It did look great with all that artillery going off, though a little too much ( working on a fix as I type ).

That Hind must have had SUPER! Armour or something though! crazy.gif God knows how it survived ( it wont next time wink.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (benu @ 16 May 2003,16:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Poet: convoy cream worked as beta5, but not the last version. "bis_resistance" was missing in the addon section of the mission.sqm. After fixing that the mission worked...<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks for spotting that!

How that happened is beyond me, though I have noticed Mission making is fraught with bizarre random errors that just appear.

Or maybe its just me. sad.gif

Sorted now. smile.gif

It really helps to only have addons installed (or loaded via modfolder) that you really need in the mission. Some addons always put themselves into the mission.sqm when they are in the addons folder, regardless of whether you use them in the mission or not.

If you run preview in the editor it checks for all needed addons and puts them into the mission.sqm automatically, i'm not sure if this works without running preview. Else, a good editor with regexp search/replace functions is helpful.

Thanks for the tip benu!

Need to try that next time, though my addon folder ( folders! ) are in a proper mess... all over the place.

Anyway, Here we go :

http://quake3.barrysworld.net/poet/Sweet_Tooth.zip

Changes :

Added -

"Mission Complete" text to all missions.

Mission 4 - More units to increase difficulty.

Fixed -

All rogue non-existant or dissappearing Addon references.

Changed -

Mission 4 - Made Artillery Server only, to prevent client duplication.

Various minor tweaks and improvements.

------------------------------

I seriously hope this is now the Final. Though the God of OFP Editing never seems to want me to use that word. sad.gif

Thanks to all involved for the help and testing! smile.gif

Been playing these missions with a few m8s and they are great, quite difficult but fun.

Only one major problem i have is with the convoy mission, #2 i thikn, well basically there should be more AA weapons available, only 1 stinger cant bring down the hind, and it wipes us all out, alos on that map the ai don like to fly over the mountain range so they tend to just hover and whilst im despreatly tryign to make em come closer and land the hind comes along and kills everyone else, there is also no where near enough time to get to the valley and lay mines ect as as soon as we land the convoy is rolling down the hill,

oh and you didnt mention that the editor update was needed for mission 3

mission 4 is virtually impossible as theres a guard the other side of the pow who you cant get a line of sight on and he kills the pow as soon as u take out the guard in the way

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KEVBAZ @ 18 May 2003,00:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Been playing these missions with a few m8s and they are great, quite difficult but fun.

Only one major problem i have is with the convoy mission, #2 i thikn, well basically there should be more AA weapons available, only 1 stinger cant bring down the hind, and it wipes us all out, .....,

mission 4 is virtually impossible as theres a guard the other side of the pow who you cant get a line of sight on and he kills the pow as soon as u take out the guard in the way<span id='postcolor'>

You can hit the Hind with a BAS M136-AT4, its hovering above a slow moving convoy.

Mission 4 is not impossible, have completed it a few times now. In fact its quite easy, once you have 4 capable snipers to take out the guards at the same time. NOTE: The mission make may not have the best idea on how to pull the mission off, try some variation ... after the Captive escapes you get a nice fire-work display then a few last enemy to kill - the easiest of the 4 missions when you've done it once tounge.gif

Yeah, we solved all the missions too. We always shot down the hind with an at4, as we thought at4 guys (with 4 shots each) more useful in this mission than an aa guy with only 1 shot...