Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 26 2003,05:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wel, Popular mechanics seems to have a pretty reasonable idea of how they work.<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks...I think that kinda explains it more or less biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 26 2003,06:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Mar. 26 2003,05:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I mean if its top secret, they obviously don't want an intact bomb dropping on to Saddam Hussein Blvd. It's reasonable to assume as well it has to be dropped, unless the plane carrying the "pod" is significanltly insulated against EMP, I mean more so than we though possible right?<span id='postcolor'>

You would definitely want the bomb to be destroyed, the US has the most to loose of any country by being attacked by such a weapon. Imagine if Iraq could set off a number of EMP pulses with some decent range. Most of the US Air power in the area, as well as any advanced targetting system on tanks, ect would be useless. However, Iraqi MiG-21's, and 23's could still operate to some extent without radar (no fly by wire) and the MiG-29 even more so, with it's IRST sensor. Iraqi T-55's and T-72's would also feel little effect.

*edit* then again I could be mostly wrong on the issue of air power except that it would neutralize the US's, after all, missile systems and IRST still need electronics. However, it woud negate most US technological advantages on the ground as well as making a lot of their fighters unairworthy.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, most military electronics systems are hardened against EMP. It's civilian electronics that would suffer the most.

I read the original article, and didnt see the term 'ebomb'. Did they edit it after the fact?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 26 2003,06:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually, most military electronics systems are hardened against EMP.  It's civilian electronics that would suffer the most.<span id='postcolor'>

They're hardened against EMP yes, but this has never been tested very well, especially not against a weapon that's specifically designed to create such a pulse. I believe they're hardened to the extent that they should not be affected by the EMP pulse from a not-too-nearby nuclear explosion. Beyond that, all bets are off.

*edit* Besides, beyond tolerance to heat and cold, lower chance of normal operational failure, and more precise values, most military circuit components are not that different from their civilian counterparts. Hell, you can buy some of the military grade stuff, it's just about 5 times more expensive.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 25 2003,21:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I read the original article, and didnt see the term 'ebomb'.  Did they edit it after the fact?<span id='postcolor'>

Both the story and headline have been edited since I saw it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 26 2003,06:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 25 2003,21:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I read the original article, and didnt see the term 'ebomb'.  Did they edit it after the fact?<span id='postcolor'>

Both the story and headline have been edited since I saw it.<span id='postcolor'>

Welcome to 1984 sad.gif

Someone probably thought the similarity between "e-bomb" and "a-bomb" was a bit too much wink.gif

The U.S. military says that the media center was attacked using Tomahawk cruise missiles and bombs dropped from aircraft:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,82187,00.html

I'm sure that if they had used an EMP device, they would have sent a single F-117 or cruise missile to minimize the risk of knocking out other aircraft or cruise missiles.

Swedish news reports that the broadcast of Iraqi TV was down for 20 minutes but that they are up again. They also say the camera that Reuters placed on the building next to the TV center had been destroyed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 26 2003,07:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the camera that Reuters placed on the building next to the TV center had  been destroyed.<span id='postcolor'>

A decoy, no doubt! mad.gif

Reuters is part of the axis of evil! wow.gif

tounge.gifsmile.gif

Well, you know how it works.. quid pro quo... CNN "forgets" to broadcast the part of a war update by Bush where he says that the "bombing of Ottawa is going according to plan" and then in return US military "accidentally" drops a bomb on the Reuters camera. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 26 2003,07:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, you know how it works.. quid pro quo... CNN "forgets" to broadcast the part of a war update by Bush where he says that the "bombing of Ottawa is going according to plan" and then in return US military "accidentally" drops a bomb on the Reuters camera. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Lol biggrin.gif

*edit* It's a good thing then that Canada sends its own reporters to campture just such golden moments

News Bytes:

Yesterday Iraq knocked out 2 Abrams BMTs with wire guided missiles with a 4 mile range. Any ideas which?

US bombed Mosul in the north.

US planes from carrier Roosevelt bombed Ansar Al-Islam bases in the north.

AccuWeather Forecast:

Here in Jerusalem, the winds howled like mad all night long and this morning, with precipitation not letting up. Sort of the wet equivalent of the blinding sandstorms in Iraq right now, for those of you who have seen press videos of the sandstorms.

edit:

Battles in Najaf leave hundreds of Iraqis dead.

Coalition ships on terror attack alert. Iran involved in boat gun battles against Iraqi suicide crafts.

Second death victim from US Sgt. Asan Akbar's traitorious attack several days ago.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 26 2003,08:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yesterday Iraq knocked out 2 Abrams BMTs with wire guided missiles with a 4 mile range. Any ideas which?<span id='postcolor'>

Probably the AT-14 Kornet-E that the US is so upset about Russia selling to Iraq.

I guess they work, ey?

Looks like they do.

Things might take a turn if Coalition Forces find some of this Russian gear amongst Medina weapon stockpiles...

More news, on the local radio:

1. Coalition bogged down around Nassiriyah because of weather and heavy fighter.

2. 120 Republican Guard troops captured in Nassiriyah of Najif (sp). They were hiding in a hospital flying the RC flag. No staff or patients inside.

3. Humanitarian aid shipments on way or already being unloaded at Um Qasr.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 26 2003,09:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 26 2003,08:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yesterday Iraq knocked out 2 Abrams BMTs with wire guided missiles with a 4 mile range. Any ideas which?<span id='postcolor'>

Probably the AT-14 Kornet-E that the US is so upset about Russia selling to Iraq.

I guess they work, ey?<span id='postcolor'>

You mean it's not a beta addon. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC Mongoose @ Mar. 26 2003,10:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">roflmao!!!<span id='postcolor'>

LOL at the quote in your sig and the pic it links to.

That spoof pic was in the news here last week. Didn't have the URL. Thanks. smile.gif

Yes, I quite like it.

Though I'm contemplating changing the quote to

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure" ---Jacques Chirac, President of France<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

I'm sure this will get a warm reception:

http://www.aeronautics.ru/news/news002/news077.htm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

The Americans have failed in trying to use their momentum in capturing An-Nasiriya and attempted to encircle the town from the west, where they encountered strong layered Iraqi defenses and forced to withdraw. The Iraqi forces used this opportunity to attack the US flanks with two brigades, breaking the US combat orders and causing panic among the US troops. The US command was forced to halt the advance of its forced toward An Najaf and once again redirect several tank battalions to support the attacked units. Nearly 6 hours was needed for the US aviation to stop the Iraqi attack and restore combat order of the US forces.

During the past day the coalition aviation flew more than 2,000 close support missions in this area [An-Nasiriya]. "We can only thank God for having air dominance!†said the commander of the US 15th Marines Exp. Corps Col. Thomas Waldhauser in a private conversation with one of the CNN reporters. Later the CNN journalist cited the Colonel in a phone conversation with his editor. The conversation was intercepted."

<span id='postcolor'>

Usually I would put such news sources on a par with qoqaz.net or azzam, where there are daily reports of 100000 Americans killed in combat in Afghanistan - with only 2 mujhahadeen wounded - but I reckon there's some truth on the link above.

I don't know, make up your own mind.

PS: That Kornet Anti-Tank missile appears to work well, doesn't it? confused.gif

CNN reports the missiles may be TOWs:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/26/sprj.irq.war.main/index.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Iraqi forces on Tuesday destroyed two U.S. M1A1 Abrams tanks, a senior officer with the U.S. Army's 3-7th Cavalry told CNN's Walter Rodgers. No soldiers were hurt in the attacks.

Other officers said the Iraqis are launching TOW wire-guided missiles from pickup trucks, as they ride around the countryside.

<span id='postcolor'>

From all the reports coming in, except in Nassiriya, mentioned in my and Tracy_T's posts above, the Iraqis are taking a pounding, losing equipment, men and defenses.

When I last saw a reported figure yesterday , there were over 3000 Iraqi POWs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 26 2003,10:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">CNN reports the missiles may be TOWs:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/26/sprj.irq.war.main/index.html<span id='postcolor'>

Interesting. I just checked the Iraqi AT capabilities and thought to myself that those TOWs (Range 3750m, Penetration ~750mm RHA) and HOTs (4000m, 1300mm) might be quite a danger for those MBTs.