Sign in to follow this  
vektorboson

Street lights

@BIS

I've got a question regarding the streetlights in OFP!

Is it possible to change the "rays" say the transparent cone under the lamp, and perhaps changing the flare effect? I didn't find anything in the configs, and in the models there is only one memory LOD vertex "light"!

Guest jacobaby

All I have noticed is that the rays are a model (koulesvetlo or svetlo) and the light itself is seperate and defined as a subclass in the config. The rays DONT light anything up really.

At least it is like that for fires.

If you know a way to get a proper lightsource into the game I would be very glad to hear about it.

TJ

yes, I know,

my problem is: how do I set which model is used as the light cone?

If it is hardcoded right now, could you (BI) make this "configable"?

And perhaps BIS enables in the next patch use of CreateVehicle with streetlamp class. I mean, we already can create Triggers (with EmptyDetector) which is defined in CfgNonAiVehicles, too. Otherwise we have to stick with fires as light sources sad.gif

I don't know if this is relevant or not but are you aware that The Addon Collection, by Armourdave & Kegetys, has a streetlamp.pbo file?

From the readme:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">* Streetlamps:

White Streetlamp  - Empty > Objects > Streetlamp White  | A normal streetlamp

Red Streetlamp    - Empty > Objects > Streetlamp Red    | A streetlamp with red tint

Blue Streetlamp   - Empty > Objects > Streetlamp Blue   | A streetlamp with blue tint

Yellow Streetlamp - Empty > Objects > Streetlamp Yellow | A streetlamp with yellow tint<span id='postcolor'>

You can download the Addon Collection file from Kegetys' Addons Page.

I know them already. Compare those streetlamps which are in fact fires, you have to put on with "this inflame true", and the island placed streetlamps, which can be controlled with "switchLight"!

They have a nice flare effect and a nice light cone under them. What I want to know is: How do I change this cone for my own streetlamps?

Guest jacobaby

The cone is a p3d. It is called SVETLO and is in the DATA3D folder. Associated *.paa's are [data\volumelight.paa and data\volumetop.paa]

So if you are making a new one, maybe you can make a new p3d or a new texture and fix that?

I cant find the config entry for the streetlamps themselves.

TJ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ Mar. 14 2003,16:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I cant find the config entry for the streetlamps themselves.<span id='postcolor'>

They are under CfgNonAIVehicles; I want to keep the original light cone, I want just a custom light cone for my streetlamps! I think that the light cones are hard coded, since there is nowhere in the config any reference to svetlo.p3d.

Yes the svetlo.p3d model is hardcoded to lights. Sadly you can't change it. Why do you want to do that anyway? The one that's there looks OK to me.

If you are doing a small light such as a houselight, buglight, etc. then the regular cone is way too big.

The cone also cuts into nearby models, so if your light is attached to a house, suddenly there's a semi-transparent cone in the house.

Guest jacobaby

from the fire;

class Light

{

color[]={1.000000,0.500000,0.000000,1.000000};

ambient[]={0.300000,0.150000,0.000000,1.000000};

brightness=0.080000;

shape="koulesvetlo";

size=0.300000;

position="ohniste";

};

Can you use that replacing koulesvetlo (round light) with svetlo and set size to suit?

Guest jacobaby

I just found out that switchlight works with fires, only it turns the light BRIGHT white instead of the greeny yellow. Also it crashes to desktop when you save it, but it does work on the next reload.

from the fire;

class Light

{

color[]={1.000000,0.500000,0.000000,1.000000};

ambient[]={0.300000,0.150000,0.000000,1.000000};

brightness=0.080000;

shape="koulesvetlo";

size=0.300000;

position="ohniste";

};

Can you use that replacing koulesvetlo (round light) with svetlo and set size to suit?

I feel I have something to add tounge_o.gif

It is possible to replace "koulesvetlo" with other p3d files, but it seems to work in much the same manner as using other p3d files in drop arrays. You get the White boxes, or soldiers with gun/flag/etc. Now I imagine a custom object could be used specifically just for the object, but I am yet to try (will soon). Also I do not know if it will work after being binarized (one or both objects) and if it can be used in a wrp file.

Next! As many of you know it is impossible to use "inflame true" with objects that are in the wrp file....instead you must use "switchlight on/off". And as Jacobaby points out, using "switchlight" instead of "inflame true" on an object placed through the mission editor gives a white only light.

So after mucking around a little I found the following; that if two identical objects are on an island, one in the wrp file (activated using "switchlight"....if necessary, but probably will go on by itself at night) and one in the mission (activated using "inflame") then the light created will be totally different. Switchlight gives that "cone" that sits under all the streetlamps and the ground is not lit up. Inflame gives the soft round ball and does light up the ground.

Notice the only differences are whether or not the object is in the wrp file, and whether switchlight/inflame has been used. The object itself didn't change, and the model name used in the config was koulesvetlo.

Anyway.....I've got a few things to play around with now wink_o.gif