kisloemaslo

A3 mission performance overload

Good Day! I've got a trouble with my A3 mission. When I was testing it with my friend on separate MP server it worked good and FPS was wonderful. But when the mission started with around 20 people, it started lagging in waves. For example, for nearly 5 seconds it lags a lot, then stops, works good for 10 seconds and starts lagging once more and more. Which may cause these huge FPS drops? 

Hello!

Please ignore this. Gunther's answer bellow is SO MUCH better and elusive.
Good luck! 😎

There are SO MANY things that might be causing that. It's probably one (or more) scripts related to spawning/despawning of enemy units, especially if you use performance-saving setting like "dynamic simulation" on them - so the time players come closer such units, they will "wake up" and require computer's processing power.

If you are using scripts, one of the first tip guys usually work here is: disable them all and test mission using one or only a very few at once.

Or even send all your mission files to google-driver and post the download link here, so people can take a closer look at them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kisloemaslo said:

But when the mission started with around 20 people

Welcome to BI Forums!

Missions setup for multiple players should be using an initserver.sqf and other scripts for mp.

If the scenario is using an init.sqf script for whatever scripts or code its initializing then each person that joins the server will

run that script, so with 20 people that script runs 20 times when it dont need too.

With initserver.sqf it will only run once for everyone, so it should save performance, not saying this is your issue

but something to keep in mind if you plan to have alot of people playing your scenario.

As for your issue, then depends:

• Are you running any mods, if so how many?
  • What mods are you using if your using mods?
  • Is the scenario on a dedicated or is one of you hosting?

Any time the server or the game in general has an issue be the scenario not loading, errors, or even fps issues,

first thing to look at is the rpt.   Rpt is a log that the game produces every time you start it, for the client side if you have [ x ] no logs checked in the launcher parameters

then an rpt will still be produced just not written into.  If you [  ] no logs  uncheck the box then you will get a full log.

Here is a video guide on the RPT if it may help.

like i said any issues with the game go to the rpt first, if you cant recognize or understand

what its giving you, then share it with someone who does.

Rpt for client can be found here ----> C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Arma 3

Rpt for server or host is the profiles.

On a server, go to the server.cfg and look for:

// LOGGING
timeStampFormat  = "short";                 // Timestamp format used in the server RPT logs. Possible values are "none" (default), "short", "none"

So my suggestion is locate your server's rpt, and share it here in your reply, do the following:

1. Locate the server's rpt it will say rpt at the end of it and it will be a notepad document.

2. Open it with notepad or a text editor.

3. Copy everything in it.

4. Go to this website:  https://justpaste.it/

5. Paste the rpt in there, publish and share the link, and then we can review it and see whats going on.

Cheers!

• Like 3

On 10/16/2023 at 5:10 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

Welcome to BI Forums!

Missions setup for multiple players should be using an initserver.sqf and other scripts for mp.

If the scenario is using an init.sqf script for whatever scripts or code its initializing then each person that joins the server will

run that script, so with 20 people that script runs 20 times when it dont need too.

With initserver.sqf it will only run once for everyone, so it should save performance, not saying this is your issue

but something to keep in mind if you plan to have alot of people playing your scenario.

Any time the server or the game in general has an issue be the scenario not loading, errors, or even fps issues,

first thing to look at is the rpt.   Rpt is a log that the game produces every time you start it, for the client side if you have [ x ] no logs checked in the launcher parameters

then an rpt will still be produced just not written into.  If you [  ] no logs  uncheck the box then you will get a full log.

like i said any issues with the game go to the rpt first, if you cant recognize or understand

// LOGGING
timeStampFormat  = "short";                 // Timestamp format used in the server RPT logs. Possible values are "none" (default), "short", "none"

So my suggestion is locate your server's rpt, and share it here in your reply, do the following:

1. Locate the server's rpt it will say rpt at the end of it and it will be a notepad document.

5. Paste the rpt in there, publish and share the link, and then we can review it and see whats going on.

Cheers!

Thank you a lot for your help! I'll try it.

Yes, I'm using mods. The main ones are - CUP, USP, Reshmaan Province. The server is dedicated.

On 10/16/2023 at 5:10 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

Welcome to BI Forums!

// LOGGING

Cheers!

Version 1 links:

https://justpaste.it/4zzm7

https://jpst.it/3qrn4

Version 2 links:

https://justpaste.it/c1u78

https://jpst.it/3qrop

I have several RPT files from that day.

Welcome, in the future dont quote my whole post, just quote something i said your specifically responding too like a question,

if not that then you can always use the @ and then my name which will ping me basically send a notice.

Anyways

For your first RPT (version 1)

See the following errors in a spoiler, i will make notes under them:

Spoiler

19:42:03 Call extension 'ace_break_line' could not be loaded: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

19:42:03 [ACE] (common) ERROR: Extension ace_break_line_x64.dll not found.
19:42:03 Call extension 'ace_clipboard' could not be loaded: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

19:42:03 [ACE] (common) ERROR: Extension ace_clipboard_x64.dll not found.
19:42:04 Call extension 'ace_artillerytables' could not be loaded: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

19:42:04 [ACE] (common) ERROR: Extension ace_artillerytables_x64.dll not found.
19:42:04 Call extension 'ace_fcs' could not be loaded: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

19:42:04 [ACE] (common) ERROR: Extension ace_fcs_x64.dll not found.
19:42:04 Call extension 'ace_advanced_ballistics' could not be loaded: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

19:42:04 [ACE] (common) ERROR: Extension ace_advanced_ballistics_x64.dll not found.

These errors are easy to understand, basically you haven't installed the .dll files that those particular files require.

For your  second RPT (version 1)

A repeat of the above.

RPT Version 2 - first link

Your server crashed:

Spoiler

note: Minidump has been generated into the file C:\Users\kisloemaslo\AppData\Local\Arma 3\Arma3_x64_2023-10-15_19-42-22.mdmp

AI mods will eat up server performance:

@LAMBS_Danger.fsm;@LAMBS_RPG_CUP;@LAMBS_Suppression;@LAMBS_Turrets

imo if your using these then i recommend using less other mods. Overall alot of AI on the map, even dead AI are all leaching off

the server's CPU, and using up ram, so if your having fps issues thats part of the problem.

Another problem is mission design as said in my previous post, using scripts ideal for SP is not ideal for MP because in MP the scenario is

being used by multiple players, if you want to better make the scenario efficient then you should look into doing a headless client.

The group i play with use headless client we use up to 15-20 mods plus a ton of AI in our scenarios but i never get lag or fps issues

because of the types of scripts being used, how AI and dead AI are being processed.  Lots of scripts depending on how they are setup, or coded rather

as certain commands, functions are better off used instead of others in certain situations, in MP thats a whole nother level,

then too you need decent hardware to support the game.

Next

This error before your server crashed:

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 089B4F20

See this: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Unusual_Process_Exit#0xC0000005_-_ACCESS_VIOLATION

The rest is intermittent debug errors for stuff trying to load, waiting ect,. Nothing real serious but it can add to the lag if there is alot of spam of the same stuff.

If the server isn't having an issue like crashing or not loading and runs fine otherwise then disable the rpt on the server, basically set the logs to none

in the server.cfg

// LOGGING
timeStampFormat  = "none";                 // Timestamp format used in the server RPT logs. Possible values are "none" (default), "short", "none"

Do that because if the rpt is spamming messages because of minor conflicts, or whatever then when that rpt gets big, it will start eating your ram up.

RPT Version 2 - 2nd link

Repeat of the above.

================

So if you want to improve performance then test without certain mods, do a process of elimination, as i mentioned is AI mods will draw on performance

and understand that the the AI mods are effecting the number of AI present on the map, if the AI start acting stupid, and or dont respond, perform ect,.

then theres not enough resources to enable to do so.

Also consider the terrain your playing on, if you go into the editor, and place a player in the most dense town, then add alot of AI do you get lag?

If so that should give you a rough idea of how that map might perform with alot of mods, AI, and then add the scenario like whats going on in the scenario,

without using scripts in the scenario and only placed units, if that terrain is somewhat laggy then that should give you an idea how it may perform on

the server with mods,  a scenario with scripts and more players.

So mods, scenarios, terrain, players, scripts, settings.

If the scenario performs like crap for you then 20 more people its going to crash, less is more. Hope that helps. Cheers!

• Like 4

Embrace the beauty of Vanilla i say. Smooth sea's ahead.

Not saying i dont use mods,infact i have 40 active mods.Its more about understanding "each and everyone of them intimately" and f you dont,you shouldnt use them. 

As far as im concerned, Vanilla AI, vanilla assets,are more than acceptable baselines to enjoy Arma3. Adding mechanics via ACE is always going to bring performance issues. Always ask yourself, do i really need x,y,or z? trim the hedge and youll be able to see a better view.

• Like 2