ShawnTheMaroon

Enemy AI Unit(s) Walk Around, Don't Shoot, Can't Take Damage

I am running a completely stock Arma 3 install (new player here), and am trying to make a mission in the editor. Around a certain point in the mission, the AI occupied outpost that I'm supposed to attack will have certain units that won't die (they are not invulnerable, I've checked). Even after an artillery strike is called in to wipe the entire building to rubble, the AI walk out of it just fine. They will look at my squad, walk around, but will not fire. My AI squadmates however, thinking they are still "alive" by virtue of them being up and about, expend every single bullet into them. The results seem to be wildly inconsistent. Sometimes I'll load the mission and everyone in the building is "killable". Other times I test it and am met with these few "invulnerable" units. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Note: I believe the affected AIs are the ones placed INSIDE the building. Not sure if this helps.

Edited by ShawnTheMaroon
Additional context

Welcome on forum.

Tell which map/addons/DLCs you are using. Did you script something?

Hello.

It is on the Stratis map, in the large white building at the Old Outpost just North of Air Station Mike-26. 

I only have the base game on Steam, so no DLCs or addons owned.

There's no external scripting in the mission. Only triggers and tasking accessible from the editor. 

Edit: The units inside the building do have 'this disableAI "PATH";' set in their init as to make sure they stay inside of the building. That's the only thing remotely resembling a script in the whole mission. 

6OcYODV.png

Edited by ShawnTheMaroon

Have you done a verify integrity of cache to make sure none of the game files aren't corrupted?

Idk i'd have to actually test the mission myself to get a real idea of what your dealing with as in all the years i been in the editor

i've never come across a situation where the enemy wont shoot back nor die.

The only reason i can think of and this is without mods, modules, or scripts being used, and just as you have it, units and waypooints,

is if you have independent friendly to opfor under the attributes and general, then again you said your ai squad is shooting at them so ...

Can you link the mission for download?

No joy on that. I actually managed to get a video of it and it seems like it's happening to random enemy AI at this point (they weren't in a building this time).

Linked below is the mission. Note that it has expanded a bit, but I haven't touched the general ops area, just added some triggers for more mission tasking and a script to detect damage of a particular building. 

I will link the video as well so you might be able to understand what I'm dealing with. I'm about as confused as you are at this point. Just hoping it's not something blindly obvious but if it is, please do have mercy.

Besides that, the only theory I have for the "not shooting" part is that they've run out of ammo, which would make sense, but still doesn't explain the invulnerability part. 

Mission: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P1HXHcyJgiVzDfrqBpwvvG2eu8YUh_hQ?usp=sharing

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cTR8nA5SezKnO2BhkA8EeBgQIW6nWvtH/view?usp=sharing

I looked at your mission, and placed a player by the outpost there and had no issues killing the FIA there, i take it you played

the mission through and thats when it was giving you problems?

Did you test like i did to see if your own ai would kill the FIA?

Also i see in some of the triggers you are using are codes that might be the cause, another note is you have the mission binarized

did you set that or is that on by default? You shouldn't need to binarize your scenario, theres hardly anything in it

that will hinder the performance or take a long time to load but thats up to you.

Yeah, so far it seems that the problems have a chance to occur when I get nearer to the end of the mission (around Air Station Mike-26). 

I've only tested full runs of the mission, around 7-8 times by now. It has only happened around two or three times in those 7-8 runs. 

My AI does (can) kill the FIA around the area. When the issue does occur, they empty their mags and toss grenades at the FIA like in the video, and do absolutely nothing to them.

Do you have any suggestions for the triggers? I've mainly followed tutorials on how to set up easy missions so far, so feel free to point out anything that looks out of order to you.

And I don't remember ever accessing the mission settings, so I believe the mission binarize is on by default? 

Another thing is, are BLUFOR supposed to callout their own aircraft? The BLUFOR A-164 keeps getting called out by myself and the AI on my team as "enemy fast mover, bearing XXX" or with distance and grid callouts. Yet the (also friendly) AAF Buzzard does not.

8 hours ago, ShawnTheMaroon said:

Do you have any suggestions for the triggers? I've mainly followed tutorials on how to set up easy missions so far, so feel free to point out anything that looks out of order to you.

And I don't remember ever accessing the mission settings, so I believe the mission binarize is on by default? 

Sure, whats your intention behind the code in the triggers at each point your using them?

Imo think its the code your using in your triggers that creating the problem for you.

Ya unless haven't disabled binarization in your mission, i suggest you do because if something goes wrong and you cant open the mission

in the editor because its binarized your screwed, theres ways around it but imo you dont need to binarize your scenario especially if its

a small scenario like yours.  

Binarizing is ideal for loading missions up faster, not needed when your still editing it, best when your actually playing it, so if you plan

on releasing the mission one day on the workshop or making it downloadable, then binarize it but then have an unbiarized copy of it as a backup.

6 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Sure, whats your intention behind the code in the triggers at each point your using them?

Imo think its the code your using in your triggers that creating the problem for you.

Ya unless haven't disabled binarization in your mission, i suggest you do because if something goes wrong and you cant open the mission

in the editor because its binarized your screwed, theres ways around it but imo you dont need to binarize your scenario especially if its

a small scenario like yours.  

Binarizing is ideal for loading missions up faster, not needed when your still editing it, best when your actually playing it, so if you plan

on releasing the mission one day on the workshop or making it downloadable, then binarize it but then have an unbiarized copy of it as a backup.

Ironically it's actually a mission to get some friends of mine into Arma 3. I'll go through each of the tasks with their triggers.

The scenario has changed a bit, but it's mostly updated tasks and more units around the map. I've updated the mission file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AL3lzpGY0qq6Kz_rB22VxNHot3jNqi8J/view?usp=sharing

The triggers have a pretty set format, for which I just copy and paste for most of them.

It goes like: Trigger (delayed 10s) <-> Create Task <-> Set Task State <-> Trigger Area (10x10x10)m (adjustable), where <-> is Sync To

I assign every last Trigger (the one that changes Set Task State) a variable name, so the next task starter Trigger is triggered using 'triggerActivated <variableName>'.

The flow goes as below:

1st: Spawn in and Create Task "Listen to Briefing". Once anyone on my squad walks into the Trigger Area behind the building with the tables, Set Task State to "Completed".

2nd: Create Task "Wait for Transport". I have the option "Call Support (Helicopter Transport)" as the Squad Lead, which will call the AAF helo from Kamino Firing Range over to the helipad I spawn in front of. When the helicopter flies into the Trigger Area, Set Task State to "Completed". Everyone in the squad will board the helo, and I'll command it to fly to Camp Rogain and land there.

3rd: After a delay of 120s after the 2nd task completes, Create Task "Investigate Air Station Mike-26". If I time this right, the 3rd task should initiate when we're about to land at Camp Rogain, while also playing music. We'll then take one of the HEMTTs on the road to the Air Station. When we get near to the radio tower South-Southwest of Camp Rogain, there's an FIA ambush squad, where the Trigger Area there will Set Task State to "Cancelled" once OPFOR detects Any Group Member (of my squad). 

4th: Create Task "Eliminate the Ambushers". A Trigger Area exists to check if OPFOR is Not Present in that area. When no OPFOR are there, Set Task State to "Completed".

5th: Create Task "Recon Air Station Mike-26", mostly the same as the 3rd task. Except when nearing the Air Station, there will be a BLUFOR forward unit on the side of the road. We will get off and "speak" to them. In a Trigger Area along that road, if BLUFOR detects Any Player, Set Task State to "Cancelled".

6th: Speak with the forward unit (Scamper 1). This just involves walking up to them. When BLUFOR detects Any Player, Set Task State to "Completed".

7th: Create Task "Clear the Old Outpost". Also straightforward. Trigger Area triggers if OPFOR Not Present in the Old Outpost area. Set Task State to "Completed". 

8th: Create Task "Demolish the Old Outpost". This part I'm having issues with, as I can't seem to get the damage value of the building (which is apparently a Barracks). Not entirely sure of the code for doing so as I'm still new to Arma scripting.

That's about the mission so far. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted or is too long/bulky. Wanted to be as clear as I could on the intentions. 

Edit: Managed to get the building damage detection to work. Haven't come across the unkillable OPFOR for a few runs now.

Edited by ShawnTheMaroon
Added additional information
  • Like 1