ToastMemes

Custom / Adaptive end missions credits

Hello, i've been banging my head against the wall for a while now. and I wouldn't even know how to start making this script.

I'm trying to make a customized credits sequence for the end my mission. where it'll take the player names and player roleDescription into some sort of text i can display on screen.
I'm guessing something of a ForEach AllPlayers loop to grab the Name and RoleDescription of every player and then put that in an array to print out. but like i said, i wouldn't even know where to begin at this point.

As an example of what I'm trying to reach:

*screen fades to black*

Thank you to these players:

Player1 as *Insert roleDescription* (Rifleman (AT) for example)
Player2 as Team Leader
Player3 as Medic

this means i don't have to manually set up a credits sequence with a fully typed out text box. this'll just adapt to the amount of players who are still in the mission by the end of it.

@ToastMemes Hmm an interesting little challenge 🙂

Displaying some player names isn't that tricky but making it "fancy" should be fun.

How do you want to handle if the entire list is too large to view in one go? Do you want the "names scrolling by" effect or the "fade to next"? Just smear all the names out over the entire screen?

What are you goin for? 🙂

@mrcurry My op won't have that many players, so i'm not worried about the size of said list. i'd rather have it simply be a wall of text that just hangs around for a while so everyone has time to read it.

although names scrolling by or a fade to next would indeed be cool, i'd rather not want to complicate it that much.

19 hours ago, ToastMemes said:

@mrcurry My op won't have that many players, so i'm not worried about the size of said list. i'd rather have it simply be a wall of text that just hangs around for a while so everyone has time to read it.

although names scrolling by or a fade to next would indeed be cool, i'd rather not want to complicate it that much.

Smart, KISS is a good principle to follow.

Easiest way to get som text on the screen is to use titleText or cutText, with those it's just case of constructing and formatting your string appropriately and pass it to the command.

The simplest method would be something like this:

Spoiler

//Define work string
private _toPrint = "";
//Iterate over allPlayers to construct the final string
{
  // Current player is _x, fetch the name and roleDescription and build the row 
  private _rowStr = name _x + " as " + roleDescription _x;
  // Add the row to the work string followed by the newline character: \n
  _toPrint = _toPrint + _rowStr + "\n";
} forEach allPlayers;
//_toPrint now contains our output string. Use it with titleText to display on screen.
titleText [ _toPrint, "BLACK OUT", 1 ];

I recommend having a read on titleText biki page for more customising options.

I'm intrigued by the idea of some "fancy" animations so might throw something a bit more involved together this weekend...

3 minutes ago, ToastMemes said:

https://imgur.com/a/llW6Tcp check it out @mrcurry, it works pretty well, just have to define the squad names via the lobby manager instead of doing it through the roledescription itself. but i think i can work with this and expand it.

Neat! I recommend you check out the use of structured text and titleText. You can get all sorts of crazy with images, colors, alignment, fonts and styles. It's great! 🙂

I've started work on a "plug'n'play"-ish framework to allow some more interesting animated stuff but it's gonna be a little bit before it's ready to play around with.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 10:40 PM, mrcurry said:

I've started work on a "plug'n'play"-ish framework to allow some more interesting animated stuff but it's gonna be a little bit before it's ready to play around with.

@ToastMemes A little teaser...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mrcurry said:

A little teaser...

Very cool!