DrGNOLA

Single Player Help and Honest Opinion on Arma 3

Picked up Arma 3 and a few of the Creator DLCs (and a boatload of mods--40 or so?) a few weeks ago now and have put in about 45 hours, mainly on infantry missions, showcases, etc...

I love the game's action, promise, and brutal realism compared to the roll call of COD-type arcade shooters, but I have to say, wow, Single player seems like almost impossible. I've dropped the enemy AI settings all the way down to .20 for skill and accuracy, played with and without the most popular AI mods, and have gone through most of the training and boot camp etc. On Vietnam SOG and where else possible (GM Germany, Czech Iron Cross, Sahara, etc), I've downloaded "Control the AI" and "Make Yourself Up a Squad" mods as available, but by and large--on Apex/Tanoa campaign, for example, I still really can't very far, which is starting to lead me to believe this just isn't really an SP game. Which is ok, but if you're a vet and you wouldn't mind acknowledging this for me, or giving me some advice beyond the useless Soul-esque "Git Gud" mantra, it would be much appreciated.

I'm just seeing the game as an insane cool milsim sandbox that one can't truly play SP, at least not enjoyably--and yes, the game's irrepressible janky-jank qualities doesn't help matters. What's this game been out like 14-20 years in some iteration or another and they can't/don't want to/not profitable enough to fix these issues? Again, flame me if you must, but I'm a long-time gamer who just isn't especially driven or have enough time or desire to join a squad, and is wondering if I should just call it a day at 45 hours and $85 in DLCs to support these devs and their brilliant, if not especially commercially-friendly game?

Thanks for any comments or help. Game is brilliant, really, but dayuum, it's not really enjoyable for me in SP--or even it seems if I played with my neighbor in Co-Op. Just too many (accurate) guns to face in any given mission (even Dynamic Recon, etc). I guess I just suck?

Hi, welcome to Arma series - and, it is very safe to say singleplayer scenarios are achiveable/beatable. I really don't know what Mods you have right now, but this is also safe to say, you better to remove EVERY Mods before you play singleplayer properly, especially if it is a vanilla/official scenario.

I don't really know why you've think so, so can't really say anything else to say. Feel free to reply, I'd like to help you as much as I can.

• Like 3

Im mainly play SP missions. There is a transition between the "running and gunning" of other games and the "mil-sim" of ArmA, you are not always gonna know or even see the enemy.

Personally, and how Polpox said, unload every mod you have. Some mod like ACE 3 or some AI mods make the game more difficult. I once had a "Pack mod" (aka a mod that just has a lots of mods inside) that had a firing effect that made firing more difficult for a better immersion. So unload everything.

Then play the main campaign. It has a good phasing to let you know how to play the game correctly and it is really fun. For more SP missions you can just look around, there are plenty of them, and if you are not feeling a long "walk" until your AO, there are many others random generated mods like create "instant" missions that are really fun: Dynamic Recon Ops, Dynamic Combat Ops and Random Infantry Skirmish come to mind. You can also mess around with the Eden editor and create something cool that suits your likes, it is really easy and fun.

So no, you shouldnt call it a day after 45 hours, you are missing A LOT of stuff in just single player.

• Like 1

In addition to the above, it might also help you to check out some gameplay on Youtube. There are several channels that feature single-player playthroughs of popular missions/campaigns, and seeing how they approach things might give you some insight. Or it might reaffirm your position.

reveal action key is very underestimate - it makes your AI buddies (under your command or not) engage the enemy way more effectively.

also formation type, correct use of advance and back in formation, and stances is quite important

beyond that its much about abusing the AI weaknesses 

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the responses. I've started the Prologue and East Wind campaign--much easier--and think my problem may have been trying to solo Apex to start off. Taking it easier with less mods now also and having better results. Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1