Hi,

I have created a collaborative share on gitlab to create my map with colleagues. I have a "main" version which is updated 1x a week between my versions and those of my colleagues. We use different layers except that with the gluing of the updates some people don't see their layers and therefore the objects are not available. If people work together on the same project, how do you do it and if so do you have any tips?

PS: The old .txt export with eden was still great

• Like 2

Ahoj! This is how we do it internally:

10 tips

1. Plan your terrain in detail before starting.

2. Only very few people actually work on the map files directly. Just a handful.

3. We have a page with the map split in sectors and whoever is working inside which, at what ever time, has ownership of it.

Would recommend one person in charge of keeping track of this.

Several people should NEVER work on the same specific area.

The DEFAULT layer is ONLY for the basic map components. Never put anything else there.

4. Our layering is named from local areas and objects should never overlap. When objects cross over, we talk to the current owner of the involved layers and sort it immediately.

5. We use SVN for version control in particular because there is a LOT of data that are just images that get updated and changed every time. Other solutions for version control may not be able to handle this amount of data.

It is essential for us.

6. The object layers are easy to keep track of if you follow the above. SVN will merge in most cases where an accident happens and something was altered in someone else's layer, if you use it.

7. Determine your surface requirements early.  You don't want to add more surfaces later and you definitely don't want individuals changing things.

8. The normal maps will change constantly. Keep track of the different file types for the map blocks. In the status bar of the world editor, you can see the names of the tiles you hover over.

9. Have one person in charge of surfaces. If you generate anything procedurally, do this only at the very start and very end of your project. Big milestones if you have to.

10. Always close workbench, start it again, go over your changes and see if it is perfectly fine. If one person gets corruption for any reason, this has to be mended asap BEFORE committing to the                   repository.

There really isn't much to do to simplify this, sorry.

B

*note to self, expand later.

• Like 4

Okay then, tell me if I'm doing the right thing:

- I have a gitlab with a version "main" : In this version I have created the layers of my collaborators

- I created a branch from my main branch to place objects in my layer

- If I commit my branch and make my merge request, the resourceDatabase will change and if a collaborator makes an update afterwards it might crash, right?

We use SVN. I have never used GIT. See 5. GIT doesn't like the sheer amount of image data much.

It is called subversion SVN. I think the pun is intended.

Which particular solution you use to host it is up to you.

There should be several free alternatives.

We use https://tortoisesvn.net/ as clients for committing and downloading from our repository.

I did a local test can you tell me if I screwed up somewhere? @bludski
1 - I launch my project in reforger and I already have 2 layers (A and B), I create an object in A and I saved.
2 - I copied the project folder to another folder
3- I open the first folder (so there is my object in layer A), I delete it and I place another object in layer B
4- Once saved I copy the previous folder into the new one and my object B has disappeared

I admit I don't understand, I should have had an object in each layer, right?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

SVN? virtual server?