Sign in to follow this  
Japo32

The missing animations. Because Consoles?

Hello!

When the new Arma Reforger came out I analyzed what animation was missing from ARMA3 into ARMA Reforger. What was clear to me, was that Arma Reforger Foundation is Dayz, and in that game lots of features are included that are not in ARMA3, but animations functions are less than ARMA3. And that is happening also in Arma Reforger. Some of them I think are very important. 

In the presentation, someone from Bohemia said that there was a challenge to set all the motions of Arma Reforger in a gamepad, so maybe the loss of those animations were because of that.

Bohemia said that there is going to be cross playability between consoles and PCs, so all have to have the same "opportunities" to manage the characters the same way. The problem is that it makes the Arma series a soft product compared to what it was previously.

It is clear that any ACE3, Task Force Radio mod, it is going to be impossible to carry to any game pad, but should we start thinking that ARMA4 is going to be less hardcore that ARMA3 was because console introduction (that I think they are not going to be miss, in the future Arma4).

In any case, I made the exercise to mimic all ARMA3 movements completely on a gamepad, and it was possible. So no excuse for not including them. Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA3HfOw6LSw

Thanks

• Like 2

that would be my guess due to the limitations of the controller. 

Another reason why console version should be a different dumbed down game altogether 

I don't fear the consoles. In fact the first moment in PCs that was programmed a simulator instead of a game, no one could imagine that would be possible. 

In consoles (xbox) they have MSFS, and Asobo didn't abandon the simulation area. Of course there have to be changes to simplify life to console users, but nothing in the core of the game.

What worries me is Bohemia sees the money in the faces of the console players. Of course 30€ of a console player is the same as our 30€... but we stay here. We bring more people inside making streams of our milsim plays. 

That is the reason I made the video. To probe, it is possible to make all the motions of the player in a game pad. So the problem is not that. IT is always the company that wants to make it or not. 

I think there is a place for every console player here. and I am desiring to play an ARMA series game with them... and I think it is possible, but bohemia is the one that has to make it. 

All steps forward to the new Arma Series, but no steps back to what we had already.  And it worries me about the non-inclusion of those animations. A good number of them are the beginning of a soft-Arma sequel.

I'm not entirely clear, what animations are missing when compared to A3? I think AR has more animations and better adapting animations if anything. As you mention and show in the video there are a few very specific things missing, like the multiple prone states and switching weapon side from right to left. I've played ArmA 3 for roughly 1600 hours, and whilwe the mid-stances are nice I have found to use just a select few in the upright position to adjust my height to a window for example. I think the added system where you can control stance with ctrl+mousewheel and movement speed with just mouse wheel is far superior and fits active playstyles.

Also, I think ACE would work with a gamepad just fine, if the modders deem that's what they want the mod to do. Command roses like in BF (or ACE in A3 tbh) would work very well for most purposes ACE does.

Also the claim that AR is a more "soft" product is a weird claim, since I find Reforger to be more immersive than A3. I'm finally a human being able to do minor climbing, my weapon actually collides, sight adjustment is animated properly, weapons have actual chambering and two reload states. You can interrupt reloading and continue when it fits you, there is no bullet counter telling how much you have left in your magazine, vehicles have no HUD elements telling you that the engine is broken, there are proper animations in regards to operating vehicles and weapons.

• Like 1