redarmy

Best way to apply changes to a side

What iv been doing until now is using ,

this enableAttack false;

in each group leaders init.

I now want to have such units respawn through out the mission but im assuming this wont handle respawned groups even if its correct:

{enableAttack false} forEach allUnits side WEST;

What is the correct way to call this ? as im trying to disallow blu group leaders issuing attack orders for units under them as player will be high commander and i need maximum control over groups and vehicles. Enable attack can see AI groups bog down and SL not move until various units HE ordered somewhere return to formation

Not sure this command works as intended. Even if leader doesn't order an attack, the AIs of the group will fire. So?

The combat mode seems to me far more efficient.

9 hours ago, pierremgi said:

Not sure this command works as intended. Even if leader doesn't order an attack, the AIs of the group will fire. So?

The combat mode seems to me far more efficient.

Its not about firing at the enemy

enableAttack

determines if leader "can issue" attack commands to the soldiers in his group onto various individual enemy units in a way that if the unit he is ordering cant see the target,that he is ordered to move to a new position irrespective of the group formation(even with yellow combat mode/ keep formation behaviour).

This is more noticable and amplified on vehicle AI who's new enable attack position may be a larger radius than infantry and get there quicker thus making it clear what is happening.

EXAMPLE:

NATO Hunter HMG that has been ordered by zeus/High command or regular editor WP to move to the centre of a crossroad and has vanilla "enable attack true" will most likely see that unit leave the crossroad in order to engage a target the group leader specifies to gunner.

Now try again with Enable attack set to false,the leader wont issue order for AI driver to move whatsoever unless in a fleeing behaviour.

Another way this is used by me is when i want a line formation infantry group to move to a low rock wall and firmly hold perfectly along the wall,this is how i do it.

Because the groups movement is usually dictated by its formation,and unit who was "sent" to attack an enemy,the group will take longer to move forward in combat mode because squad leader wont resume moving until "unit 2 etc" hasn't returned to formation,once returned,group starts moving..new attack order appears again,group slows down.

Enable attack absolutely still works and i couldnt make a mission without it.

EDIT

Also to keep in mind is suppression. Which takes "courage" into affect and When planning a path, the AI will try to avoid beaten zones and areas that are visibly within enemy's fire sectors. This can cause further more elaborate movements for individuals who are being told to move into an attack position and why you sometimes see AI go completely AWOL .

• Like 1