Migal

Custom module in multiplayer mission

Hi, I'm working in a multiplayer mission were the server needs a custom module.

I wrote the module in a small addon and everything works well.

The module is used only by the server but clients cannot connect without the small addon with module info.

I don't like that players need to get an addon just for this small bite of information (131 kb).

Is there a way to make clients get module definition from the server when they download the mission?

I hope I've been clear enought.

Thank you

If by "module" you mean an actual editor-placed module, then no, all clients will need to have the addon. But perhaps you mean something different?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Migal said:

The module is used only by the server but clients cannot connect without the small addon with module info.

Use -serverMod= in the server start params to mark the mod as only needed by the server.

See Sever Options

Something is ringing in my head that as long as you do not include a key for the mod in the keys folder then a mod loaded by -mods won't be verified for clients. Can't remember but I'm sure you use to be able to do something like that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Larrow said:

Something is ringing in my head that as long as you do not include a key for the mod in the keys folder then a mod loaded by -mods won't be verified for clients.

That sounds familiar, and I'm almost positive it was at least the case with A2. I haven't done much server management in a good while, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harzach said:

If by "module" you mean an actual editor-placed module, then no, all clients will need to have the addon. But perhaps you mean something different?

Yes, I means the editor placed one.

thank you

There must be a solution that doesn't involve a module. Many large mods have done away with editor modules for scripted solutions. What does the module do?

I wanna create a MP server for sector control.

I know there are modules for that, but I need custom option for the module.

A single battlefield is made of an init module, synced with 2 bases, bases are synced with the control points.

Control points define the area that need to be captured.

Every map could contain N battlefield choosen randomly or by the admin.

3 hours ago, Migal said:

A single battlefield

3 hours ago, Migal said:

Every map could contain N battlefield

So you want to have multiple instances of the Sector Control game mode running in one mission, concurrently? Or just multiple possible locations for Sector Control to take place? The first will indeed likely involve some work, but the second should be fairly easy.

Just one sector control running every time a mission start.

At the end of the mission, players have another mission start on the same map on another place.

Just spitballing here:

Define all of your necessary positions.

At mission init, choose a "battlefield" at random (or more complex, set up mission params or maybe an admin menu to choose location).

Move sectors, respawn markers, and players to the relevant positions.