Sign in to follow this  
jason211

Freezing

Hi

I'm just posting this on the off-chance that anyone has come upon this problem before.

I recently updated my mobo and sound card drivers. Now, whenever I try to run Flashpoint, my PC hangs. The screen freezes or goes black.

I reinstalled Win98 from a clean format, and yet the problem persists.

Abit KT7A (with latest BIOS)

GF4 Ti4200

SB Live! 1024

512MB SDRAM

Samsung 20GB HDD

Win98 SE

Detonator 40.xx drivers

VIA 4in1 drivers vers. 29.xx

DX8 8.1

Jason

I have the same exact problem, I thought I was the only one. This is starting to sound like a rehab group but its true.

I have:

Iwill motherboard

Radeon 7200 series w/ 3.1 catalyst drivers.

1.3 athlon

512 ddr ram

sounds blaster audigy

windows xp

40 gb hdd (don't know brand name sorry)

And I too just formatted my hd 4 days ago because I thought it might solve the problem. PLEASE HELP! I love this game.

oh, and I'm patched up to 1.42 I have OFP: Cold War Crisis, the original.

Thanks

okay, took a gamble and lost. Bought resistance hoping it might contain a cure or somthing, but no, the problem continues.

Damn! I have the same broblem also,and i was also thinking its only my problem.Its late now,will post specs later...

Exactly what are the symptoms? Does OFP exit to shell? Does the game hang, but sound continues? Does the PC lock up completely?

Can you complete all of the DXDIAG tests, including sound and video?

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Language: English (Regional Setting: Finnish)

System Manufacturer: ECS                            

System Model: K7S5A                          

BIOS: AMIINT - 1000

Processor: AMD Athlon™ Processor,  MMX,  3DNow, ~796MHz

Memory: 384MB RAM

Page File: 139MB used, 783MB available

Primary File System: n/a

DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.01.2600.0000 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Sound Devices:SiS 7012 Wave(integrated in the motherboard,that is the driver)

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Music Tab: No problems found.

Input Tab: No input devices detected.

No problems found.

Network Tab: No problems found.

When it crashes the picture freezes,the sound stops in the same time,alt+tab or alt+ctr+del doesnt give any reactions...

I guess it has something to do with drivers,also I have to put my BIOS to update..

edit:oh my pagefile sys is ntfs,wonder why it doesnt show in the dxdiag.....

Is it only OFP wich freezes your PC or have you tried any other games?

I have an error on my motherboard and it freezed my OFP or any other games when I tired to launc them. I got no help from Microsoft and then I found this program called: Power Strip.

You can modify all the 3d settings and the memory onn your PC and it saved me. Dont remember the link where to get it but try searchin it from any search angines on the Web.

Hope it helps.

Powerstrip can be found at http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ I don't use it myself but I do use their wonderful lil multires app which solves the lame MS fuckup with the XP default refresh rate problem smile.gif

can you guys tell me on what settings it should be/what settings are you running it? scope can you tell me what motherboard are you using?

symptoms:

-monitor goes black as if its not recieving a signal and light goes from green to amber.

-computer stops responding

-somtimes I get the last sound that was playing, in continuous loop

-speakers crackle like they're half unplugged.

-once in a blue moon it freezes with the monitor still generating an image, however not refreshing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">-computer stops responding

-somtimes I get the last sound that was playing, in continuous loop

-speakers crackle like they're half unplugged.

-once in a blue moon it freezes with the monitor still generating an image, however not refreshing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<span id='postcolor'>

I get exactly that also, but only recently.I'm thinking of reinstalling Flashpoint and just installing the addons that I use most becuase it's only after installing something that it has started freezing up on me like this. I use ver. 1.91.

My sys specs are :

-Win98SE

-XP1600

-512 SDRAM

-ECS K7S5A mobo

-NVIDIA GeForce2MX/400 64mb TV-out

-SB Live! 5.1

-Direct X 8.1

I notice I have the same mobo as Turms...Is this problem the same as the one you have?Are the simptoms the same?It's quite worrying as it sounds like there's a lil green man inside my PC trying to murder it...lol...

The powerstrip didnt help.I also adjusted the AGP value from BIOS to 1x still crashing sad.gif It would be a wise thing to do to find about the drivers of the motherboard,especially i am fascinated by the sound-drivers.

The crashing doesnt involve anythin peculiar in my sounds but other than that the symptoms are alike.I will post a solution if I find one and going to follow this thread if somebody figures out the problem.

Go ask suma he helps alot I had a horible problem and he gave me the advice to fix it and it worked!

operation_flashpoint.JPG My problem was like torture! Remeber Ask Suma!

I had a little problem with games hanging every now and then if I had AGP set to 4x. Then I found out that the AGP aperture size was a little bit too high and I lowered it and no more hanging.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Feb. 28 2003,08:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I had a little problem with games hanging every now and then if I had AGP set to 4x. Then I found out that the AGP aperture size was a little bit too high and I lowered it and no more hanging.<span id='postcolor'>

Ãm still having the problem sad.gif My AGP aperture size is now 128MB.How much did you lower the aperture? Or if somebody could tell me what would be a proper value to put in there?

Well, I replaced some ram, got myself a new graphics card (Radeon 9000 by sapphire) and I still have the same problem.

What is the email address of the people to whom I should mail at BIS? I would like to address them, as I have spent 100$ on the game, and 200$ replacing 'possible' problematic hardware, to no avail.

Please help. I'm very distressed.

Some times when I reboot after it hanging, the windows diagnostic tool or whatever, takes me to a webpage that says its my graphics card drivers, this happen before when I had my Radeon 7200 series, and even know with my Radeon 9000. However I have reinstalled the drivers, and all this has occured on a newly formatted hd.

What the __ !

Do you still have the Iwill motherboard? If so have you downloaded the latest bios/drivers for it? Are you using the Cat 3.2 drivers for your Radeon?

Just downloaded and installed the newest bio/drivers for my Iwill mother board, and got the new 3.2 drivers for my Radeon 9000, I had the 3.1 drivers before..

I had this problem before, and I still have it after. This is one of the most frustrating experiences of my life, nothing ever works properly. PHUCK! I'm upset right now. I can't get through a game without it doing this. THIS IS MY FAVORITE GAME, AND I'M NOT ENJOYING IT.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (turms @ Mar. 15 2003,19:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Feb. 28 2003,08wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I had a little problem with games hanging every now and then if I had AGP set to 4x. Then I found out that the AGP aperture size was a little bit too high and I lowered it and no more hanging.<span id='postcolor'>

Ãm still having the problem sad.gif My AGP aperture size is now 128MB.How much did you lower the aperture? Or if somebody could tell me what would be a proper value to put in there?<span id='postcolor'>

I can't remember what it is now (and I'm too lazy to check tounge.gif) but it was 128MB. Try 64MB and if that doesn't work then try 32MB.

Guest BratZ

About a month or so ago, my O2 quit working,I tried everything but ended up reformatting.

After a fresh Win98se install,my computer then would lock up every so often.Usually browsing the web or closing bulldozer and such.

This went on for about a month until 2 days ago,I went in my bios and set my AGP aperature from 128 to 32meg and my computer has been running mostly non stop since then with no more lockups!

Odd machines

My computer only freezes in ofp, not windows, not other games, just ofp. I just played a game for an hour and a half, everything went great. Then my computre froze once in the lobby waiting for the next game, then again as soon as I got into ofp after I had to reboot.

How do I 'get into my bios.' that changing the AGP aparture is the only thing I haven't tried.

And even if it does work, I think its phucked that you practically have to be a techie to get the dam game to work! The game should come with a goddam tech support warrantly like my computer.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Meckon @ Mar. 17 2003,23:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How do I 'get into my bios.'<span id='postcolor'>

Watch your computer when it boots up, it should say something along the lines of "Press Del for setup" or "Press F1 to go into bios", something like that.

If F1 and DEL don't work, try F2, F12, or TAB -- those are the other keys I've seen used by PC manufacturers for this purpose.

What's worse, once you are in the BIOS Setup, you may not find an option to change the AGP Aperture Size. On my Gigabyte GA-8IEXP board, you have to press and undocumented key combintation (Ctrl-F1) once you are in the BIOS to reveal a new menu option where you can change the aperture size.

If all else fails, let us know exactly what maker and model of PC you have, or what motherboard and BIOS your system is based on.