Gunter Severloh

Pylon Ammo Convergence - How does it work?

A question to those coders, who can clear this up for me and possibly show me how i can apply this to a plane.

Question

I'm trying to understand how the AH-9 Pawnee's miniguns bullets converge, the HE Dar rockets also converge, how is this done?

Why the AH-9 Pawnee?

Its just a working example i found of what i'd like to do for a WW2 plane i fly all the time that has pylon guns when fired its rounds

dont converge when in real life they did, its a waste of ammo to shoot two large bullets at the same time which are meant to converge at some point but

you can only use one round or the other to land the shot, ideally if they both landed on a target (a tank) then it wouldn't be a waste.

Heres what i been looking for, i had looked in the config viewer ingame, and found the classname, base ect,. for the helicopter,

located the file which is ---->   air_f\Heli_Light_01 theres also a air_f\Heli_Light_02.

I unrapped the config.bin and was looking at the CfgVehicles.hpp and found these lines:

class Heli_Light_01_dynamicLoadout_base_F : Heli_Light_01_armed_base_F {
		author = "$STR_A3_Bohemia_Interactive";
		_generalMacro = "Heli_Light_01_dynamicLoadout_base_F";
		weapons[] = {"M134_minigun"};
		magazines[] = {"5000Rnd_762x51_Belt"};

class AnimationSources : AnimationSources {
			class HideWeapons {
				source = "user";
				animPeriod = 1e-006;
				initPhase = 1;
			};
		};

class Components : Components {
			class TransportPylonsComponent {
				uiPicture = "\A3\Air_F\Heli_Light_01\Data\UI\Heli_Light_01_3DEN_CA.paa";

class Pylons {
					class PylonLeft1 {
						attachment = "PylonRack_12Rnd_missiles";
						priority = 5;
						hardpoints[] = {DAR, DAGR, B_SHIEKER, SCALPEL_1RND_EJECTOR, B_ASRRAM_EJECTOR};
						UIposition[] = {0.06, 0.4};
					};

class PylonRight1 : PylonLeft1 {
						mirroredMissilePos = 1;
						UIposition[] = {0.59, 0.4};
					};
				};

Idk if there is anything in this code that indicates how the bullets and rockets converge and if they can be applied to a plane's pylon guns.

The only thing in this code i see that remotely gives me the idea that its the code for convergence is the last code at the bottom

class Pylons {
                    class PylonLeft1 {
                        priority = 5;
                        UIposition[] = {0.06, 0.4};
                    };

class PylonRight1 : PylonLeft1 {
                        mirroredMissilePos = 1;
                        UIposition[] = {0.59, 0.4};

=============

Notice the 2 different numbers from pylon's left and pylons right, this gives me the idea that the pylons guns themselves are angled

to enable the convergence of the rounds being shot, thats both the miniguns, and the rockets being shot, am i right here, off the mark or what is it

is this even the right code?

Just to give you an idea of what i fly ingame and spent alot of time practicing with is this plane here the

WW2 German Ju87 G-2 with bk37mm pylon cannons

A screenshot from my latest game with my coop group and me observing a kill i made.

802385A18FF51210176535AA287B72295C69C65C

You can see the cannons under the wings, when you shoot those guns, the rounds fly straight instead of converging at about 300-400m.

Heres real footage from WW2 of the plane's guns in action (mind your ears the sound is a bit loud).

You can see that the rds shot converge, trying to do the same thing as you only have so many rds and when they dont converge

your literally only using one shot round to hit the target when two should be landing at the same time.

The plane btw is from the Secret Weapons mod, IFA3 has a Stuka but no pylon cannon option.

So i would like to create a patch addon of some sort to add or change the pylon cannon rds so that they converge.

The AH-9's miniguns aren't pylon weapons, they're part of the helicopter itself and using memoryPointGun[], gunBeg[], gunEnd[] parameters.

Axis along the Beg/End memory points for each gun on each side of the aircraft will have a slight inward angle that physically converges the gunfire.

To replicate this with pylon weapons you probably need to rotate the pylon proxies slightly inward on the aircraft, or create individual left and right gun pods with the memory points angled accordingly

The UIposition[] parameter is just for positioning the dropdown lists for each pylon in the eden attribute editor for that vehicle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, da12thMonkey said:

Axis along the Beg/End memory points for each gun on each side of the aircraft will have a slight inward angle that physically converges the gunfire.

Aha! So my guess was right and this is coming from someone who dont code, lol thats what i had figured it seemd from all the

code i was looking through that had to be what it was given the numbers of each parameter were different.

Although i was mainly focused on the UIposition[] you've cleared my suspicion if you will of what is doing what.

9 hours ago, da12thMonkey said:

To replicate this with pylon weapons you probably need to rotate the pylon proxies slightly inward on the aircraft, or create individual left and right gun pods with the memory points angled accordingly

Makes sense i will look in the config and see if i can locate these and then reply with what i have.

Thanks for the insight!

On 3/26/2021 at 12:00 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

Makes sense i will look in the config and see if i can locate these and then reply with what i have.

Thanks for the insight!

It'll be a model issue so you'll need access to the model itself to fix most likely. Not sure rotation is configurable on a config level for proxies...

• Thanks 1