Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Cd-rw problems

Not strictly OFP related, but I'm hoping my forum buddies can help me out.

I just bought a SONY 52x24x52 CD-RW, and I am having big problems.

When I first installed it, I also installed an extra old 10gb HDD at the same time. On IDE channel 0 I had my 60gb HDD as primary and my DVD-ROM as slave. On IDE channel 1 I had my old 10gb HDD as primary and CD-RW as slave.

The apps I installed (Nero burning ROM and Easy CD Creator) wouldn't recognise the CD-RW as a write device. My system could read discs from it, but nothing wants to write to it.

I did an install of Win2000 thinking 98 might be the problem but still no joy. A friend suggested that the old HDD might be screwing things up so I removed it and set the CD-RW to IDE channel 1 primary device.

I did a total system reinstall back to Win 98, but the apps still wont write to the CD-RW, or even recognise it as a write device.

Any ideas? Here's my system specs if it helps: P4 1.8, Asus P4T-E mobo, 256mb PC800 RAM, IBM 60gb HDD, Sony 16x DVD-ROM, Ti4600 VGA card, SB live sound card, Netgear LAN card, and the problem device itself: Sony 52x24x52 CD-RW (CRX220E1).

Does your CD burning software support that particular drive in the version that you have? If you haven't updated it in a while, chances are that it doesn't. Roxio (EZ CD Creator) just put out an update to recognize new CD and DVD burners a few days ago, for instance.

My guess is that u need to get the latest version of NERO. When I got my 40x 12x 48 Aopen, neither my Adaptec Easy Cd Creator or Nero recognised it as a burner. When I installed new version, worked like a charm tounge.gif

This topic does not seem to be related to OFP. Moving - guess where?