BlackbirdSD

Does anyone have surround working with S/PDIF?

When using S/PDIF (Optical cable), do you get surround sound(heli flying behind you and you can hear it behind you)?  Analog works for surround but not digital.

2 hours ago, BlackbirdSD said:

When using S/PDIF (Optical cable), do you get surround sound(heli flying behind you and you can hear it behind you)?  Analog works for surround but not digital.

I run my PC through my 4K TV and have my sound-bar etc running off the optical cable output and it works fine. Someone else posted about this the other day, though I cant seem top find the thread but I seem to remember someone posting a couple of suggestions along the lines of trying to reconfigure your sound settings (ingame) and checking/changing the number of sound samples you use.

7 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

I run my PC through my 4K TV and have my sound-bar etc running off the optical cable output and it works fine. Someone else posted about this the other day, though I cant seem top find the thread but I seem to remember someone posting a couple of suggestions along the lines of trying to reconfigure your sound settings (ingame) and checking/changing the number of sound samples you use.

Thanks for the reply.  I do have the sound samples maxed in game.  So to be clear, you have at least 3 speakers in the front and 2 behind you and if a heli was flying behind you, you could only hear it through the speakers behind you?  Because this works fine for me with analog just not optical.

Thanks

Can anyone please confirm if they get surround sound from an optical cable using front and rear speakers?  Please

Normally Windows does not support surround sound over SPDIF for DirectX games and is limited to stereo (movies will work). As I can remember this is because of the signal decoding which needs to be done by the soundcard (which it most cards will not do). There is an exception with games that will send out a DTS or DD coded audio stream.
There is a way i think by using an APO driver, but that is not recommended because of CPU usage necessary for decoding.