Sign in to follow this  
Bernadotte

How silent is the hk?

To anyone here who may have heard a real HK-MP5 being fired, are they as silent as presented in OFP?

I mostly ask because OFP says they have a muzzle velocity of 400m/s, but that would be supersonic (>345m/s) and not very silent.

the firing mechanism makes more noise than the bullet when the weapon is fired , i think that the OFP hk's sound is a bit too weak for the mechanism

i've been dissappointed the first time i've used it

as i said before , you get the impression that the only thing you hear is the firing mechanism , "click click" , i love it smile.gif

but , i have to admit that i still hear a little "puff" like noise common to most of the other suppressed weapons

but the most appreciable with the MP5SD is the fact that you can use it without ear protections

and best of all , it doesn't need subsonic ammo

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Jan. 26 2003,11:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To anyone here who may have heard a real HK-MP5 being fired, are they as silent as presented in OFP?<span id='postcolor'>

As most games for some reason OFP does not simulate the proper sound of the mechanism. It is a distinct sound that is far from 'silent'.

and i wanna ask 1 thing to all of you gun nuts : i've been taught by my armourer that the mp5sd doesn't need subsonic ammo , but if i understand correctly , suppressed weapons are only suppressed when using subsonic ammo because of the loud bang created by supersonic ammo ... how come the mp5sd doesn't take that in account ?

yeah , but denoir , you have to admit that the mp5sd's sound is pretty discrete , especially for peopl like me who are used to fire unsupressed weapons in 5.56 nato , 9mm and .357 calibers

Yes indeed it is very quiet compared to unsuppressed weapons. I just wanted to point out that the sound of the weapon operating is heard, unlike in games and movies.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and i wanna ask 1 thing to all of you gun nuts : i've been taught by my armourer that the mp5sd doesn't need subsonic ammo , but if i understand correctly , suppressed weapons are only suppressed when using subsonic ammo because of the loud bang created by supersonic ammo ... how come the mp5sd doesn't take that in account ?<span id='postcolor'>

It uses barrel porting to reduce the velocity of the bullet to subsonic speeds.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 26 2003,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes indeed it is very quiet compared to unsuppressed weapons. I just wanted to point out that the sound of the weapon operating is heard, unlike in games and movies.<span id='postcolor'>

ehe sure it's quiet , especially for me who spent 17 years firing unsilenced weapons in various calibers and detonating explosives , it was a real shock when i first fired this toys about 4 years ago (yeah , any change in my everyday routine can be considered as a shock tounge.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 26 2003,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It uses barrel porting to reduce the velocity of the bullet to subsonic speeds.<span id='postcolor'>

so , it's all about the barrel ? why isn't the system fitted on other weapons ? HK patent ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 26 2003,16:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone ever look down the barrel and say "what's wrong with this thi......................"?

biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Only once...

A silencer is designed to do two things. First of all, as mentioned above, it slows down the bullet to subsonic speeds. Secondly and more importantly, it slows down the exhaust velocity of the gases created when the gunpowder burns. Basically it gives the gases a larger chamber to burst into before they are let outside the barrel. Without a silencer, the gas pressure at the nose of the barrel is thousands of psi's, but a silencer can reduce the pressure to - say - less than 100 psi before the gases are outside the silencer.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 26 2003,16:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 26 2003,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It uses barrel porting to reduce the velocity of the bullet to subsonic speeds.<span id='postcolor'>

so , it's all about the barrel ? why isn't the system fitted on other weapons ? HK patent ?<span id='postcolor'>

Very few weapons have integrated suppressors. The advantage of the porting is the reduction of the bullet speed, the disadvantage of the weapon is the reduction of the bullet speed.

Normally you have more need of a weapon with a good operating range then a quiet weapon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spitfire @ Jan. 26 2003,16:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A silencer is designed to do two things. First of all, as mentioned above, it slows down the bullet to subsonic speeds. Secondly and more importantly, it slows down the exhaust velocity of the gases created when the gunpowder burns. Basically it gives the gases a larger chamber to burst into before they are let outside the barrel. Without a silencer, the gas pressure at the nose of the barrel is thousands of psi's, but a silencer can reduce the pressure to - say - less than 100 psi before the gases are outside the silencer.<span id='postcolor'>

A normal suppressor does not slow down the bullet at all. You use subsonic ammo instead.

Check this thread for a detailed discussion on how suppressors work.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 26 2003,16:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 26 2003,16:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 26 2003,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It uses barrel porting to reduce the velocity of the bullet to subsonic speeds.<span id='postcolor'>

so , it's all about the barrel ? why isn't the system fitted on other weapons ? HK patent ?<span id='postcolor'>

Very few weapons have integrated suppressors. The advantage of the porting is the reduction of the bullet speed, the disadvantage of the weapon is the reduction of the bullet speed.

Normally you have more need of a weapon with a good operating range then a quiet weapon.<span id='postcolor'>

i can assure you that it dependsq of the situation

wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 26 2003,17wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i can assure you that it dependsq of the situation<span id='postcolor'>

By far most military weapons are unsuppressed by default. If you need to go quiet then you attach a suppressor and use subsonic ammo. Special police units around the world that need the suppression more then the 'punch' use the mp5sd.

And as you said, it depends on the situation - you can reduce the noise of an unsuppressed weapon but you can't increase the power of one with an integrated suppressor. So the general solution is to have an unsuppressed weapon that can if needed be fitted with a suppressor.

In addition, some suppressors further suppress the sound by raising the remaining gas venting noise to ultrasound by the last whistle-like baffles in the end of the suppressor. So, no point in shooting dogs with this suppressor, eh? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 26 2003,17:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 26 2003,17<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i can assure you that it dependsq of the situation<span id='postcolor'>

By far most military weapons are unsuppressed by default. If you need to go quiet then you attach a suppressor and use subsonic ammo. Special police units around the world that need the suppression more then the 'punch' use the mp5sd.

And as you said, it depends on the situation - you can reduce the noise of an unsuppressed weapon but you can't increase the power of one with an integrated suppressor. So the general solution is to have an unsuppressed weapon that can if needed be fitted with a suppressor.<span id='postcolor'>

you know , i'm not in military forces anymore , so my definition of "normality" when it comes to firearms has changed smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 26 2003,17:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you know , i'm not in military forces anymore , so my definition of "normality" when it comes to firearms has changed smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I guess that by your definition tear gas is a weapon of mass destruction tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 26 2003,17:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 26 2003,17:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you know , i'm not in military forces anymore , so my definition of "normality" when it comes to firearms has changed smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I guess that by your definition tear gas is a weapon of mass destruction tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

9x19 mm is our last ressort

i changed of affectation now , i let you guess where i am now smile.gif

You were talking about transfering to some form of 'riot control' unit before. Is that it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 26 2003,17:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You were talking about transfering to some form of 'riot control' unit before. Is that it?<span id='postcolor'>

no that's where i come from , it's something else smile.gif